College while in the Corps

Lamm

Here are my goals,
Get a degree
Become an Enlisted Marine-0311
Become an Officer of Marine-0302

How I am going to go about accomplishing those goals is up for grabs.
I have thought and I think I know about all the ways I can take to reach these goals. I have a route, or two, that I know will definitely work and suit me. I have, however, been thinking of another.
I was thinking of enlisting in the Corps straight out of High School and after boot camp and SOI, I will begin getting my college degree. Now, I've talked to people about this route before, and generally what I've gotten is this.....taking this route is bad. One, since I want to be a grunt, trying to get my degree will be near impossible, possible, but hard, giving the lifestyle of a grunt. Two, giving it is hard to accomplish, it will take me a while to get my degree. I've talked to my recruiter about this and he said, what do you want more, Infantry or college. I couldn't answer, I'm doing both, and I do need a Bachelor's Degree to become an Officer of Marines. Even, if I didn't, I still want a degree.
I am asking for any advice, opinions, information, or anything else regarding this subject.
Thanks for any and all help.
Lamm

That was one of the routes that I know will definately work for me. I am seriously considering that, or going to college, enlisted for a couple years, then applying for OCS.
Any other input on the college while active route?
Thanks,
Lamm

As a 0311 you have a pretty hectic deployment and field schedule. You can get some college courses in but I wouldn't count on getting anywhere near completing a degree.

If you really want the enlisted time first. I think Reserve Status while you go to college would be your best bet.

Roger that. If I don't do the Reserves route, it will be because I don't want to mess up my schooling, but I know I can get right back into school if I do get deployed during the middle of it. But, if I don't. I'll go to college straight out of High School, then enlist, stay in for a couple years, and then apply for OCS. What do you all think of that route? I'll have to apply for ECP, correct? What are my chances of getting accepted into that, and getting accepted into OCS, since I will be applying as an Enlisted Marine?
Thank you,
Lamm

MCECP is an exteremely competitive process. There are only a limited number of seats available, so you need to have a clean record and and be ready to jump thru hoops.

Back