Colin Powell backs Barack Obama

Redneck - did you ever hear -Are you coming to the Boston Tea Party, by the Sensational Alex Harvey Band? Great, and so they could have a terrific anthem to match their name.

Also - I have to agree with you re. the name- but I cannot disclose why!:p

And once again you need to have your crystal ball calibrated. I'll be voting Libertarian. If I'm going to throw my vote away it won't be on Obama or McCain.

I watched Bob Barr of the Libertarians speak on NewsHour yesterday.

His answer to the financial mess was - call in the Attorney General and investigate people for Fraud. Let all the strong banks buy out the ones going belly up. There should be no injection of taxpayer money into the system!

Unfortunately for Mr Barr many of things that caused this mess are legal.

Aren't we all lucky they can't win! Throw away your vote if thats what you call it.

Man I really do think you are taking someone else's elections to the extreme.

While it is interesting and fun to play devils advocate or just plain laugh at the absurdity of the process our views are not going to make a blind bit of difference in the end.

I have reached the point in this one where I am not sure who I want to see in tears the most you or 5.56.

So whats your deal really. You tried to bust my huevos when you thought I was voting for McCain. Now your attempting the same thing since I'm not voting for McCain. Whats your malfunction? It's my vote.

Barr has as much a chance as a snowball in h*ll of winning the election. Hence I'm throwing my vote away rather than cast it for a candidate I despise and another who I think is a really bad freakin idea. So what. It's my vote and I believe that no matter what clown wins this election my country is still gonna be in deep kimchee, it just depends to which exterme the election goes.

So give it a rest already.

Basically what 03 said... but I think the Boston Tea Party should get my vote for no reason other than creativity. But they really ought to have an re-enactment.

Just to get back on thread, it looks like Powells endorsement for Obama is going to go a long way to delivering Florida to the Democrats.

Last edited:
How do you determine that?
I haven't seen a report or statement by any Floridian (?) stating that they are switching sides due to Powells endorsement, the polls are all over the place so you can not use them for anything more than a general indicator of the mood at that particular time and place.

Actually, Todays Miami Herald did say the Obama's lead has widened to 7 though it didnt specify a reason. Its reasonable however that given the demographics of the sunshine state, the recent Powell endorsement must have contributed to a degree.

While it is a possibility I have always been suspicious of polls (that isn't to say they can't be correct) as they are simply snapshots of the time and location they were taken in.

At a guess I would imagine a poll in Miami would vary through the day as you have a large community of retirees who are available to answer the phone through out the day where as an evening poll would increase the number of folks home from work who have a different set of priorities when choosing a leader.

Once again I tend to see polls as a general trend indicator but not necessarily an accurate one.

One thing I did find probably more interesting than Powells endorsement was that of Charles Fried...

Reagan Appointee and (Recent) McCain Adviser Charles Fried Supports Obama
Charles Fried, a professor at Harvard Law School, has long been one of the most important conservative thinkers in the United States. Under President Reagan, he served, with great distinction, as Solicitor General of the United States. Since then, he has been prominently associated with several Republican leaders and candidates, most recently John McCain, for whom he expressed his enthusiastic support in January.
This week, Fried announced that he has voted for Obama-Biden by absentee ballot. In his letter to Trevor Potter, the General Counsel to the McCain-Palin campaign, he asked that his name be removed from the several campaign-related committees on which he serves. In that letter, he said that chief among the reasons for his decision "is the choice of Sarah Palin at a time of deep national crisis."
Fried is exceptionally thoughtful and principled; his vote for Obama is especially noteworthy.

It must start hurting your campaign when your own advisers start voting for the opposition.

Last edited:
That is what cracks me up about polls they are always all over the place, if you look at the Rasmussen it is the first time it has shown any real separation between the two.

Errol The bookies tend to overround the books for a profit so the odds tend to be overestimated. Your figures for ladbrookes is about 6.7% overound. The decimal odds are on the left, the implied odds are on the right. (invert the numbers then add them together) Sorry about the formatting

1.071429, 0.933333
7.5, 0.133333

It's best to look at a betting exchange such as Betfair for the real odds. At the moment it is only 0.4% overound using the following decimal figures

1.13, 0.884956
8.4, 0.119048

http://www.oddschecker.com/specials...presidential-election/to-be-elected-president

(Change to decimal in the top right hand corner)

Last edited:
Back