Coins under the masts on ships

Mark Conley

It was (and still may be) a custom on ships (military and civil transport) that at the 30% construction stage, a coin is placed under or near the tallest structure of the ship. This custom dates all the way back to the ancient greeks, who dropped a coin in the mast well on their sailing ships.

The coin is used to pay Charon, the Ferry Man over the River Styx, to ferry the soul of any member of the crew that loses their life while on board that particular ship to Hades, the abode of the dead. Normally the coin is gold, but silver works too..Charon just wants his money.

I know they still do this at least when i was employed as a chipper at the shipyard in Pascagoula Mississippi. I was part of a team that permanently installed a coin beneath the Mast of the USS John Hancock. It had to be a new coin, that the sailors committee insisted. :D

I knew, and they still do it. I think I saw images of people putting two coins in the QE2. One English and one French. Don't think Charon will consider that to be much if that big thing ever goes down.......

I vaguely remember hearing about this while I was in high school, but I didn't know they still did it. That's pretty cool, and a very long lasting tradition...

ah yes this tradition is still strong. It died out for a while apparently, but was brought back by pirates between 1600 and 1800, allegedly they were very superstitious people.

no it was definitely the Greeks to pay for the boat ride over the river Styx
to get into the after life

but that is not to say the Irish wouldn't do such a thing

Interesting info, haven't heard about this before.

Its been a US Navy custom since the first ship was built, a carryover from the Greek mythology. Not too many peopel know about it because its not exactly made public since the US isn't exactly too keen on the whole superstition thing.
Just like when rats leave a ship, I'l be damed if I get on that ship cause its a sign that the ship is doomed.

It was (and still may be) a custom on ships (military and civil transport) that at the 30% construction stage, a coin is placed under or near the tallest structure of the ship. This custom dates all the way back to the ancient greeks, who dropped a coin in the mast well on their sailing ships.

The coin is used to pay Charon, the Ferry Man over the River Styx, to ferry the soul of any member of the crew that loses their life while on board that particular ship to Hades, the abode of the dead. Normally the coin is gold, but silver works too..Charon just wants his money.

It's a good thing Mr. Charon isn't caught up in inflation. If it cost one coin back in the day, you would probably have to stick a couple hundred grand in the mast now!

Back