Coach who attacked referee faces charges

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

Associated Press

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - Authorities are considering charges against a Pee Wee football coach who was caught on videotape attacking a referee after being told to stop cursing on the sidelines in front of his 5- and 6-year-old players, police said.
The amateur video of the Nov. 4 incident shows the coach charging onto a field and tackling the 18-year-old referee, who police Capt. John Houston said was briefly knocked unconscious.
"The coach had been warned several times about cursing on the sidelines. When the referee ejected him from the game, that's when he rushed him," Houston said.
A crowd of parents ran onto the field and surrounded the pair, he said.
Investigators plan to meet with Nueces County prosecutors to determine if the coach and at least one other man should face charges, Houston said. He said assault on a game official is a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine.
Police did not release the identities of the coach or the referee.

It shouldn't have fallen to an 18 year old referee. As a parent I would have shut the guy up if he were cussing in front of my 5 or 6 year old... no one can say :cen: or :cen: in front of my kid but me. :)

Back