CNO To Chariman

Yossarian

Forum Resistance Leader
Does anyone have any objections or any comments on the new Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Micheal G. Mullens? We all know and miss General Peter Pace, he did a very good job.

But, what about The former CNO? Anyone have anything to say about him?

Naval Officer when we're involved in largely ground combat? We'll just have to see. Bet the chow and coffee get better though.

Sukio, it is Admiral Mullen, not Mullens. Please fix it. ;)

Don't worry about any combat mismanagement. The Joint Chiefs of Staff only brief the NCA, SecDef, and other civillian leaders as well as being the head of their respective administrative commands. They are force providers, which means they have no direct authority over any operational forces, only over support forces. Combat forces are under the authority of Combatant Commanders (such as USCENTCOM or USSOCOM) who report directly to the Secretary of Defense. [I just had a midterm on this stuff ;)]

Personally, being at the bottom of the food chain and all, it doesn't really affect me at all...

A question for those who know becuz I see a trend here that USN officers are taking high ranking posts through out the US military structure:

Chieff of Staff is now a navy admiral.... CENTCOM commander is a navy admiral... SOCOM commander is a navy admiral..... SOUTHCOM is now headed by another naval officer.

Wonder why!?!

I trust all of the U.S. Military Branches, if a leader is a good leader, then I wouldn't care if he wore a Navy , Air Force, Army or Marines Uniform. Inter service rivalries may be positive sometimes, but things serious like this I don't see the point of it.

If after this Navy officer trend is gone, a Air Force, or Army or Marines trend follows, as long a they do a good job I wouldn't complain. I would respect that person and the uniform they may be wearing, whether it be a Admiral or a General, and still recognize the branch they represent.

What I just said is complicated, but, basically its how they manage the job at hand that matters to me. Although I am not in the military (hopefully yet) I still know that guys with the right stuff are keeping a steady hand on my country's military affairs and defense.

Oh and , Admiral Micheal G. Mullen, I will remeber that! ;)

Last edited:
Sukio, it is Admiral Mullen, not Mullens. Please fix it. ;)

Don't worry about any combat mismanagement. The Joint Chiefs of Staff only brief the NCA, SecDef, and other civillian leaders as well as being the head of their respective administrative commands. They are force providers, which means they have no direct authority over any operational forces, only over support forces. Combat forces are under the authority of Combatant Commanders (such as USCENTCOM or USSOCOM) who report directly to the Secretary of Defense. [I just had a midterm on this stuff ;)]

Personally, being at the bottom of the food chain and all, it doesn't really affect me at all...

Yeah thats the theory. And JCS also Advises SecDef and POTUS. So if you have the ear of the man and all.

And while they don't have operational command the most certainly have influence over the conduct of operations at the highest level.

A question for those who know becuz I see a trend here that USN officers are taking high ranking posts through out the US military structure:

Chieff of Staff is now a navy admiral.... CENTCOM commander is a navy admiral... SOCOM commander is a navy admiral..... SOUTHCOM is now headed by another naval officer.

Wonder why!?!

Chief of Staff and CENTCOM are probably just on random rotation, but the others have reasons.

SOCOM, Admiral Olson, is the first Navy SEAL to ever become an Admiral, so he must be an absolutely outstanding officer. SOUTHCOM deals with mostly drug interdiction and such in South America and the Caribbean, so it makes sense to have an Admiral because ships are needed to patrol that area.

Chief of Staff and CENTCOM are probably just on random rotation, but the others have reasons.

SOCOM, Admiral Olson, is the first Navy SEAL to ever become an Admiral, so he must be an absolutely outstanding officer. SOUTHCOM deals with mostly drug interdiction and such in South America and the Caribbean, so it makes sense to have an Admiral because ships are needed to patrol that area.

Yeah there's nothing random about how flag officers are appointed at that level or any level. Especially the Chairman Joint Chiefs, when you consider he needes congressional approval.

I don't mean the flag officer is chosen randomly in a a lottery or something. I mean that their particular military organization is not the main factor, but their past service and previous positions of joint leadership are why they are chosen.

But you never know, maybe the committees in charge of selecting flag officers is pro-Navy right now, which might explain why a majority of those major commanders are Admirals.

Back