The clod

Jeroen

Hey there,

I'm new here, found the site when surfing the web and google directed me to text in a few posts on this forum.

As an army reserves my interest was peaked and voila.

I'm actually a civilian in all aspects but after my compulsory service as a air reconnaissance liaison officers assistant, let me explain that later on, they asked me to volunteer as a reserve, which landed me my Warrant Officer Rank.

Most draftees did not have a good time in the service, I had a blast. This due to the major I served under as a sergeant and to the highly interesting time I had as a army man in the Airforce.

I got to see two of the disciplines the military have to offer in one tour of duty. I'm not a military man, but have deep respect for those that have to do it day in day out and am happy to assist when I can (for queen and fatherland).

Being in army fatigues among blue Airforce wear earned us the nickname "clods" hence the title of this post.

Oh right I promised to elaborate on the function I served.

An Air Reconnaissance Liaison Officer (which was the Major I reported to) is the link between the Reconnaissance Squadron and the Army (1st Dutch/German division)
The job was to brief the pilots (they'll hate me for using that word) on the ground situation and help with recognizing the ground materials photographed by them. Also estimating the tactics the opposing forces might use and to prepare flights to check this.
I assisted in this and acted as runner as well driving to the hangar and retrieving the information the pilots acquired in flight as well as a report from them. This was a function that was solely filled by draftees and had to be replaced by regular personnel after I left.

Happy to be here and ask away when you are still bugged with questions,

Regards,

Jeroen

Welcome to the forums Jeroen. :)

Where in the Netherlands are you from?
I've visited Nijmegen several times in the past...
Interesting city, but it was a loooong walk to get to the pubs.. :lol:

Welcome to the forums.

"The Dutch was flawless by the way..."

So my buddy there keeps telling me.. ;)

Back