Clinton response-`An assault on all journalists'

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060927...vX0Nfq2GL8C;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

Fox News chief Roger Ailes says former President Clinton's response to Chris Wallace's question about going after Osama bin Laden represents "an assault on all journalists."
Ailes said Clinton had a "wild overreaction" in the interview, broadcast on "Fox News Sunday." Hundreds of thousands of people subsequently watched clips over the Internet, with Fox foes rallying behind Clinton.
"If you can't sit there and answer a question from a professional, mild-mannered, respectful reporter like Chris Wallace, then the hatred for journalists is showing," Ailes said in an interview with The Associated Press on Wednesday. "All journalists need to raise their eyebrows and say, `hold on a second.'"
Wallace has said he asked Clinton about bin Laden partly because of ABC's recent docudrama "The Path to 9/11," widely criticized as full of falsehoods by former Clinton administration officials for depicting a bungling effort at going after the terrorist leader.
Wallace asked: "I understand that hindsight is always 20/20, but the question is, why didn't you connect the dots and put him out of business?"
Clinton said his administration did more than President Bush to go after bin Laden before the terrorist attacks. While Clinton said Wallace's question was legitimate, he called it a "conservative hit job" and accused Fox of not being similarly tough on Bush.
Clinton aides later said they considered the question an attack.
"They're out there saying (Wallace) was savage, he sandbagged (Clinton), he was taking orders on the question," Ailes said. "Chris Wallace has never taken orders on questions in his life. There's never been a discussion of that. I frankly think the assault on Chris Wallace is an assault on all journalists."
Barbara Cochran, president of the Radio and Television New Directors Association, said she worked with Wallace at NBC's "Meet the Press," where she was once executive producer. Wallace, who left ABC News to become "Fox News Sunday" host in 2003, was always a professional who asked tough questions and was not partisan, she said.
But Cochran said she would not comment on the larger question of what this meant for all journalists.
The liberal media watchdog Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting, which has repeatedly criticized Fox News Channel for favoring Republican and conservative points of view, said it could see why Clinton got frustrated. Steve Rendell, FAIR senior media analyst, said it appeared Wallace was trying to cut off Clinton's answer.
"I would dismiss Roger Ailes' complaint as simply whining in an attempt to make Fox News appear the victim in this fight," Rendell said.
Ailes said he was surprised the story created such a reaction and that he understood the political response.
"They're trying to do this to rally their base, go after Fox News, set up a straw man," he said. "That's fine. America's favorite indoor sport is politics. I quit it 14 years ago because I hated it."

Oh come on Fox is to news what Martha Stewart is to Sports, seriously does anyone take Faux for anything more than a tabloid TV show.

"an assault on all journalists." -Robert Ailes

How on earth would FOX NEWS know anything about journalism? There isnt a single real journalist among them, the sole criteria for reporting a story is to try and make the GOP look good and the Dems look bad. Thats not journalism, thats propaganda. Ailes, O'Reilly (and a few others) never even attended journalism school. They are bad actors that pass themselves off as newsmen.

What this is really furious about is the fact that the guy they spend the last 10 years demonizing went on their show (for the first time) made them look totally ridicuous on national TV. Instead of embarrassing the Dems, it fired them up.

Right because Fox is the opposite of CNN...

Please.........

All main stream news media is BS

Wait you need to go to Journalism school to be a Journalists...I'm sure there is plenty of Pulitzer winners that didnt attend Journalism school....Reporting the news inst exactly rocket science...

Regardless Clinton did not act professional and no one can deny that.

Last edited:
Clearly you dont watch CNN, because it can hardly be compared to FOX.
If CNN were pro-democrat it was it wouldnt have been throwing softballs and refraining from asking hard questions at the White House for the past 6 years. Instead its decided to focus are the really important news like Benanglina, micheal jackson, and the fact that Britney Spears husband has the singing talent of a trout.

Your comparing bad newscasting vs. no newscasting. Edward R. Murrow would be spinning in his grave.

How many pultizers have been given to TV anchormen? Not very many (if any). If you look at this years winners they all work in PRINT media, since Print Media has much high standards than TV you can be sure most of them DID go to Journalism school.

As for Clinton, thats the opinion of the GOP, the Dems on the other hand are congradulating him for telling Wallace off.

Clearly you dont watch CNN, because it can hardly be compared to FOX.
If CNN were pro-democrat it was it wouldnt have been throwing softballs and refraining from asking hard questions at the White House for the past 6 years. Instead its decided to focus are the really important news like Benanglina, micheal jackson, and the fact that Britney Spears husband has the singing talent of a trout.

Your comparing bad newscasting vs. no newscasting. Edward R. Murrow would be spinning in his grave.

How many pultizers have been given to TV anchormen? Not very many (if any). If you look at this years winners they all work in PRINT media, since Print Media has much high standards than TV you can be sure most of them DID go to Journalism school.

As for Clinton, thats the opinion of the GOP, the Dems on the other hand are congradulating him for telling Wallace off.

Tisk tisk apprently you dont watch either...

News print higher credit... riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.....

I'm sorry but losing control of ones self no matter what the situation is not professional... period... It more shows a sign of ignorance and guilt than anything....

Oh and by the way it is Anchor People...come on now...

-edit

Just checked out CNN

Talking about Amanda Peet being pregnant and geting married, John Stewart, and Aschton Kutcher telling a secret to Ryan Seacrest....yeah noooo they dont talk about the same crap...

CNN http://newsbusters.org/node/7804
Yeah real good quesitons

Last edited:
Who was professional and who was not? .......

Clinton's reaction wasn't the 'most' professional action I have ever seen on a 'talk' show .......... however ..........

Bill Clinton was on the show to discuss he and the First Lady's joint effort to alleviate one of the largest killers and health hazards in Africa ... tainted/bad drinking water, and Wallace bushwhacked WC by tossing a 'political' question at him that was NOT even discussed before hand.

The least 'professional' thing on the Chris Wallace interview, was Chris Wallace. He used the opportunity to try to make 'journalistic' points, by using questionable bushwhack tactics to elicit a response from a former President. Definitely NOT professional.

GOP'rs haven't a leg to stand on with this one ... Chris Wallace and FOX News got just what they deserved. Too bad that WC had to lose his temper, but understandable.

Last edited:
Bones is right.

Clinton went on FOX to discuss the Clinton Global initive. This humanitarian group deals with poverty, AIDS/disease, and development in 3rd world countries.

This was the subject, FOX NEWS lied. It was simply bait they used to lure him on the show. Instead what did they do? Starting asking POLITICAL questions, about things that happened 8 YEARS AGO. Whether you agree or disagree, its ancient History. The interview WAS an obvious political ambush, whose goal was nothing more than an attempt to embarrass the Democrats, and It failed. They tried a nasty trick, and got the tables turned on them and got b**** smacked instead.

As the saying goes...

"You mess with the Bull, you get the Horns".

I'm sorry but losing ones composer is not professional!

I dont care how you want to sugar coat it....

There may have been two wrongs, yes, either way having a temper is NOT professional....Yeah it happens in professional settings but that doesn't mean it is a proper way to act...

I dont really give a rats ass to be honest... :)

You cannot blame someone for being human. There have been several times where Bush lost his temper on national TV. The first debate in 2004, he was so angry his face turned purple.

You cannot blame someone for being human. There have been several times where Bush lost his temper on national TV. The first debate in 2004, he was so angry his face turned purple.

I'm not saying that would be professional.

I'm sorry but losing ones composer is not professional!

I don't care how you want to sugar coat it....

There may have been two wrongs, yes, either way having a temper is NOT professional....Yeah it happens in professional settings but that doesn't mean it is a proper way to act ................. :)

Chief Bones said:
I recognized the un-professional action when I said:
"Clinton's reaction wasn't the 'most' professional action I have ever seen on a 'talk' show .......... however .........." I did NOT 'sugar coat' anything.
What I did DO, was to recognize that WC was ambushed and he reacted as many people would have - with anger. The ONLY thing this does, is to prove that FOX resorts to 'questionable' tactics to get someone on their 'talk' shows, and Bill Clinton is human (vis-a-vis his anger).

Hate to say it ... I would have b i t c h slapped Chris Wallace before God and country (but that's just me - I am not a politician and already detest half of the 'Anchor People' that are on the television 24/7).

Last edited:
What I did DO, was to recognize that WC was ambushed and he reacted as many people would have - with anger. The ONLY thing this does, is to prove that FOX resorts to 'questionable' tactics to get someone on their 'talk' shows, and Bill Clinton is human (vis-a-vis his anger).

Hate to say it ... I would have b i t c h slapped Chris Wallace before God and country (but that's just me - I am not a politician and already detest half of the 'Anchor People' that are on the television 24/7).

Bill Clinton is a human who choose the profession of politics, who put himself in the public eye, who therefore should be in much more control of himself and act in the most professional manner possible. He choose his life and therfore should set an example of how to act.

Sorry Mods - I tried ........

Clintoon acted like a goofy kid. He is an idiot...

Your "I hate Democrat" BS, is getting mighty old. I promised the Mods that I would moderate my comments, but there is no way in the nether region, that I will continue to ignore your comments.

We already know how you feel P80 ... you have continuously attack anyone who was even remotely identified as a Democrat, or liberal.

William Jefferson Clinton's name is not "Clintoon" the same way that "Democrat" is NOT "DEM#NRA#" ... evidently you DON'T learn.

I am NOT supposed to do this ... but ... I suggest you look into the mirror. It takes one to recognize one (and the comment is NOT being made for the humor of it).

Sorry Mods - I tried.

Last edited:
Back