Climate summit in Montreal.

Ted

Well the summit is over and once again the US hasn't ratified Kyoto or did it help to offer any suggestions for improvement of the world climate. I can't grasp why the US refuses to look at the problems at hand.

My country will flood, together with many other populated area's all over the world, due to the rise of the sea-level. Signs of irreversable climate change are obvious and many. So why does the world's number 1 polutor stick it's head in the sand? The desertification of California, the increase in hurricane's and blizzards can't they see that this will only aggrevate? This is not an issue to play political games about or to see who is the world's hegemon.... This is unrefutably and irreversably changing the climate into something the will kill millions!

So if anybody can shed some light on why the US does this, please do so, because I just don't get it!

Cause its popular opinion in the United States that regardless of what we do this is going to happen anyway, just as climates have changed on earth for the past 40000000000 years.

Theres also that whole thing were we are the biggest poluter, but were also the must industrial and lots and lots of americans have cars that dont meat emession standards and I for one dont think the Government has the right to say people cant drive there cars because we caved into some tree huggin' hippies. We passed the clean air act and not all of our factories meet the requirments yet. Why?, because were coming out of a recession and no government in its right mind is going to ask American industries to spend billions and billions of dollars on something thats probally not even going to work, when there not even stable finacially.

My country will flood, together with many other populated area's all over the world,
Its not like you love your country anyway, just move.
( i base this on the other posts youve made on this board.)

Another thing is americans really dont like to be told what to do, so i think when all of europe waves its green peace banner we dont agree to kyoto just out of spite.

Last edited:
Rabs said:
Cause its popular opinion in the United States that regardless of what we do this is going to happen anyway, just as climates have changed on earth for the past 40000000000 years.

Theres also that whole thing were we are the biggest poluter, but were also the must industrial and lots and lots of americans have cars that dont meat emession standards and I for one dont think the Government has the right to say people cant drive there cars because we caved into some tree huggin' hippies. We passed the clean air act and not all of our factories meet the requirments yet. Why?, because were coming out of a recession and no government in its right mind is going to ask American industries to spend billions and billions of dollars on something thats probally not even going to work, when there not even stable finacially.

Its not like you love your country anyway, just move.
( i base this on the other posts youve made on this board.)

Another thing is americans really dont like to be told what to do, so i think when all of europe waves its green peace banner we dont agree to kyoto just out of spite.

So you are saying the US is just plain childish?
(I base this on your previous post)

Heres something to think about, if the Netherlands submerges it will be due to a dramatic rise in sea levels and oddly enough that same rise will also sink much of the US coast line and where do you think your major industrial zones, ports and cities are located?
(for ease of interpretation industrial zones, ports and cities=economy)

Sadly even the slowest amongst us must realise that we are all in this together and to be honest (and I hate to say this) Rab's may in part be right about the cyclic nature of the climate however there are very few scientists arguing about this point, the point they tend to argue on is the speed at which our climate is changing and how much of that is due to man's interference.

05.12.06.WinterBlunder-X.gif

It is so easy to point at the cyclic events or that global warming doesn't happen because you have a blizzard. Sure we have had many climate changes over the millenia, but it is the speed that matters. The eco-system can't adapt so rapidly and therefor many species will die. Even the thickest skull must see the dramatic result of many parts of the food chain become extinct.
Also the extremity of the wheather is a sigh. Your cartoon (which is actually quite funny) enhances the point I'm trying to make.

In short, it is as Montey says, not a local point! The US will suffer the concequences in the end just like the rest. The differences is that they will foot the bill with a Chevy v-8 in the yard!

Back