Climate shift is biggest security risk: Australia (Reuters)

Status
Not open for further replies.
why? i'd love to hear your reasoning
especially in the face of those photo's in my last post

It's all BS Infern0, everyone knows that it's just a Democrat prank being played on the world.
rotfl1.gif

Methinks the planet will heal herself of this primate infection. Global warming is another way in which this rock keeps things in balance. We won't all die but enough of us so that we're manageable again. The world is overcrowded and can't support the current population let alone its ever increasing numbers. If the coastlines flood and people get packed in tighter they will begin to thin themselves out. The rise in temp and increased water are will bring a rise in diseases currently limited to tropical regions. Hence people with no immunity to malaria or dengue will drop like flies. Certain plants and animals will drop off as well reducing the food supply and thin the herd even more. The humans that ride this out and make it to the other side will be stronger and the species will be improved by it. However, between here and there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

It's all BS Infern0, everyone knows that it's just a Democrat prank being played on the world.
rotfl1.gif

Ummm well just to play devils advocate here.

While global warming/cooling is a naturally occurring phenomenon so to argue that it is a hoax is ludicrous there is still a lot of speculation as to the impact man is having on the process.

While it can be argued that man has had a major impact on the earths environment we cannot know our exact effect on this process until the cycle is complete.

What I would suggest though is that concentrating on whether the effect is real or not and what effect man is having is pointless as reality indicates that the polar icecaps are melting and that the earth is warming up (the reason is immaterial) and inevitably we will have to do something about it.

Agreed! as i posted earlier.

However it certainly appears to me that the climate is changing. How much, at what speed and for how long is yet to be answered, but the frightening thing is that regardless of all of this we don't appear to have a lot of time to start making some very hard choices or we are going to really stuff up the world economy, all other considerations left aside.

Panic will get us nowhere, but I feel it is certainly deserving of some hard thought consideration and large scale government backing.

My only remaining doubt is, "to what extent is it a result of man made causes"

There is no logical argument that it is occuring. The only real debate is how much of it is caused by man's doing.

Mea culpa. I have been trying to personally reverse the effects of global warming and I invite all of you to join me. It might hurt the personal finances a touch but it is well worth it, a noble cause if you will. And quite honestly it takes no real effort other than a few minutes of prep time, five at the most, and then it continues from there unaided.

Step one. Open all the windows and doors in your house.
Step two. Turn your air conditioning all the way down to its coldest setting.
Step three. Allow it to keep running till we cool this bloody planet off mates.

See how easy it can be?

Mea culpa. I have been trying to personally reverse the effects of global warming and I invite all of you to join me. It might hurt the personal finances a touch but it is well worth it, a noble cause if you will. And quite honestly it takes no real effort other than a few minutes of prep time, five at the most, and then it continues from there unaided.

Step one. Open all the windows and doors in your house.
Step two. Turn your air conditioning all the way down to its coldest setting.
Step three. Allow it to keep running till we cool this bloody planet off mates.

See how easy it can be?

It works for me :p :cheers:

YOUR reasoning

YOUR

but anyway, from your link;
Lomborg, a political scientist and economist with a conservative approach to environmentalism, presents a work that's likely to garner as much acclaim and disdain as his first book, 2001's The Skeptical Environmentalist. This "Guide to Global Warming," while thoroughly referenced and convincingly argued, ignores many climate studies and assumes that climate change will continue at a steady rate (not necessarily the case). From this vantage, Lomborg suggests workable solutions beyond "hysteria and headlong spending," proposing a tax on CO2 "at the economically correct level of about two dollars per ton, or maximally fourteen dollars per ton" and that "all nations should commit themselves to spending 0.05 percent of GDP in R&D of noncarbon-emitting energy technologies." Gross simplification, however, leads to misleading generalizations and questionable arguments, such as Lomborg's claim that a reduction in global cold weather-related deaths that outweighs the rising number of heat-related deaths means global warming is good for humanity. Though he argues passionately, Lomborg's efforts seem more about pushing his opponents' buttons than facing honestly the complexities of global climate change.

Glib, misleading associations mark Lomborg's style.* In his chapter on glaciers, he states that since "we're leaving the Little Ice Age" (which, in fact, we left long ago) it's not surprising that glaciers are dwindling. Remarkably, he believes that is more good news, because "with glacial melting, rivers actually increase their water contents, especially in the summer, providing more water to many of the poorest people in the world." "It boils down to a stark choice," he lectures us. "Would we rather have more water available or less?"

* i see why you like it

Lomborg's flawed grasp of climate science is most evident when he discusses sea levels. He makes much of the 2007 Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's (IPCC) projection that sea level will rise by "about a foot," misleadingly noting that this is lower than previous projections. He does not tell us that the IPCC figures do not account for collapsing ice sheets, which may result in far larger rises, due to the difficulty of predicting how glacial ice will react to warming. While Lomborg waves vaguely in the direction of ice melt and collapse, he assures us it's not a problem. We'll just put up dikes. Indeed, with dikes, he asserts, some nations might end up with more land than they have today. And so the arguments go on, from rising seas to extreme weather events to malaria and other tropical diseases, the collapse of the Gulf Stream, food shortages and water shortages. In one case after another, Lomborg asserts, it's cheaper and better to do nothing immediately to combat climate change, but instead to invest in other things.
The deepest flaw in Cool It is its failure to take into account the full range of future climate possibilities. The computer models project outcomes ranging from mild, which he acknowledges, to truly catastrophic, which he ignores. While the chances of catastrophic climate change may still be small, they are increasing: By comparing real world data with the 2001 IPCC projections, researchers have shown that the sea is rising more swiftly than even the worst case scenarios in the projections.

Last edited:
I didnt say I like it. I just posted a link to that book

I am a "Global Warming" denier.... I don't believe in it and it doesnt exist.

Have a good day!

I didnt say I like it. I just posted a link to that book

I am a "Global Warming" denier.... I don't believe in it and it doesnt exist.

Have a good day!

back to the original question then....what is YOUR reasoning for denying global warming.

rather than just posting a link to a book you may or may not endorse, or may or may not have any relevance

im interested in YOUR original thoughts

it's my contension that your only reson for denying climate change, is that it's the "evil lefties" that are saying it exists....and that means, no matter what the facts are, you dont buy it.

if you've actually looked into it, i really cant understand how you can think that it doesn't exist. as i have mentioned, in a lot of ways my country is on the front line of climate change, i can take a drive and have a look at the proof if i wanted to....fox glacier

Last edited:
back to the original question then....what is YOUR reasoning for denying global warming.

rather than just posting a link to a book you may or may not endorse, or may or may not have any relevance

im interested in YOUR original thoughts

it's my contension that your only reson for denying climate change, is that it's the "evil lefties" that are saying it exists....and that means, no matter what the facts are, you dont buy it.

if you've actually looked into it, i really cant understand how you can think that it doesn't exist. as i have mentioned, in a lot of ways my country is on the front line of climate change, i can take a drive and have a look at the proof if i wanted to....fox glacier

There is no scientific proof that global warming is actually happening due to presence of us and our cars, factories ... etc. You cant predict the weather for the next 48 hours, let alone 10 or 20 yrs from now. There is no evidence that world is any warmer than 500 yrs ago. There is no record. All I can say it's all propaganda by the likes of Al-Gore who rides on an old private jet and drives a limousine while preaching to the naive people of the world to worry about global warming.

good night

Last edited:
I have to admit I am confused at the whole denial thing the whole global warming/cooling thing is a natural event and happens with or without human interference, denying this is like denying the sun comes up.

I have to admit I am confused at the whole denial thing the whole global warming/cooling thing is a natural event and happens with or without human interference, denying this is like denying the sun comes up.

Yep. I should have said that I am a "Global-Warming-Is-Man-Made" denier... world gets warm and then cools down on its own. It is not man made.

I personally want it a bit warmer than it is. You know, I live in Canada with winters as cold as -30C at times.

The warmer, the better!

There is no scientific proof that global warming is actually happening. You cant predict the weather for the next 48 hours, let alone 10 or 20 yrs from now. There is no evidence that world is any warmer than 500 yrs ago. There is no record. All I can say it's all propaganda by the likes of Al-Gore who rides on an old private jet and drives a limousine while preaching to the naive people of the world to worry about global warming.

good night

Glacier_Mass_Balance.png

there IS proof of temperature changes from THOUSANDS of years ago....glacier and Polar ice core samples for one.

and predicting weather is COMPLETELY different in a 48 hour period compared to a 20 - 200 year TREND.

you comments show your lack of understanding, and prove my contention that the only reason you deny climate change, is cause al gore is a democrat.

ffs, you live in canada, compare where the canadian glaciers were 30/40 years ago....to where they are now.

try this one in montana;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grinnell_Glacier

THATS your proof

Yep. I should have said that I am a "Global-Warming-Is-Man-Made" denier... world gets warm and then cools down on its own. It is not man made.

I personally want it a bit warmer than it is. You know, I live in Canada with winters as cold as -30C at times.

The warmer, the better!

move back to iran?

at no point have i suggested a cause for this, but i think it would be foolish to make a blanket statement that man hasn't had an effect....i think it's part of a natural cooling/warming cycle that man has perhaps exacerbated. but thats irrelevant really, it doesn't matter what causes it, it's what we're doing about it.

and "a bit warmer" for you = many polynesian countries and islands under water...million made homeless.

p80....i hope you deny it till you're under water

Last edited:
Infern0, I don't care if you have a PhD in climatology. You can not educate a wrecking ball, (it's too thick).
22561208.jpg

At this stage, if someone is in denial about global warming you are either living in denial, a nut, or you're a spokesman for petroleum industry, like our President and that crank from Oklahoma, James Inhofe.

The evidence is overwhelming conclusive.

Last edited:
At this stage, if your in denial about global warming your either living in denial, a nut, or you're a spokesman for petroleum industry, like our President and that crank from Oklahoma, James Inhofe.

The evidence is overwhelming conclusive.

P80 is not in personal denial, he is up to his usual tricks attempting to bait people into an argument which regardless of world opinion or sources he will deny. He thinks it's "smart".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back