Clearing Landmines- Dollars and sense - Page 2

--

October 20th, 2005  
AlexKall

Awsome!
October 27th, 2005  
c/Commander

Or, just don't plant the damn things in the first place...
October 27th, 2005  
FutureDevilDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by c/Commander
Or, just don't plant the damn things in the first place...
They are a vital part of any military arsenal, so I don't know why you would say that.
--
October 27th, 2005  
bulldogg

They are a junk weapon that kills indiscriminately. Landmines kill more innocent civilians, mostly children who play in the field, than they do military personnel. Claymores being an exception as these are detonated by a person who can see his target.
October 27th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Minefields are by their very definition area denial weapons. Minefields arn't neccessarily there to kill the enemy, they are there to prevent the enemy from using that area. Like if you've got 2 passes through a mountain and mountain pass #1 is more defensible, then you throw mines all through mountain pass #2 so the enemy HAS to come and fight you at mountain pass #1.

The mines may not have even killed anyone, but they would be integral in such a battle.
October 27th, 2005  
tomtom22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogg
Claymores being an exception as these are detonated by a person who can see his target.
Not exactly right. Claymores can be rigged to be set off by trip wires. At least that is how we had them set up in defense of our base camp in VietNam. Being out of the military for quite a while, I'm not sure if they still have that capability.
October 27th, 2005  
bulldogg

You're right. I just recalled the training was to set them up for ambush with clicker in hand.
October 27th, 2005  
zyonchaos

Claymores can be set off by either detonator in hand or rigged on trip wires, pressure sensors, even light sensors. Just in case you dont here the B******S sneaking up on you lol
As for mine clearance you know the big rollers people use on their lawns and stuff, why dont we get a big one of them and roll it across a minefield if nothing blows up, then we send in the secondary detection team to walk across said minefield.
Secondary detection team will consist of the scum of the world, rapists, paedophiles, rap artists.....
...they will have no choice in the matter because it will be blow up or get shot (and if they make it to the otherside then we just use them again on a different part of the field!!!(then shoot them))
October 27th, 2005  
sunb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogg
Claymores being an exception as these are detonated by a person who can see his target.
Not exactly right. Claymores can be rigged to be set off by trip wires. At least that is how we had them set up in defense of our base camp in VietNam. Being out of the military for quite a while, I'm not sure if they still have that capability.
That is still a valid option, tomtom. We had a serious debate going on a few years ago on that issue. It is now forbidden to leave mines behind with tripwire or other "uncontrolled" fire mechanism.

I don't get it really, you can use a claymore mine against personell you see as a direct fire weapon - it is not allowed any other way... What is the difference really? The mine works the same way either option you choose! Is it more humane to see the enemy before you fire when you don't see him?
November 4th, 2005  
bulldogg

The idea is that if you see the target you control who gets killed. A tripline cannot determine who it kills. It, unlike you and I, cannot distinguish between combatant and 7 year old village girl coming down the path. Eyes on target saves innocent lives.