cleaning an old firearm

OORAH

I've just recently inherited from my grandparents a very old rifle. My dad and myself just cleaned her today, and she looks to be in firing order. We researched the rifle on the interenet, and found that she is a Dutch made Beaumont-Vitali, M1876 model, with the serial numbers and imprint still on her. she is a beautiful rifle,at least to me, and i would like to know how to really clean her. she has some rust-like marks all on the barrel, but the bolt assembly looks very nice(after i spent like 5 hours cleaning it). the barrel, which is rifled, was plugged with about 2 inches of a wadding type material, which i presume was used to plug the barrel so that my great grandfather could bring it to this country( in the early 1900s) the wood stock is also rather dirty.

Please, anybody that knows how to clean the gun, and find out how to get the gun licensed, please help me. also, i couldn't find the caliber/round type that the rifle fires, so anybody with any information about this rifle, please help me.
pm me if you need my email address to send me some info.

thanks in advance.

:rambo:

old rifle

I had a couple of the old beumonts once. Take down the rifle into it's main parts. clean off all the grease and crud with paper towels and solvent. Take a wad of very fine steel wool (OOOO) and penetrating or 3 in 1 oil. Rub down the outside until all the rust is gone. Don't remove the blue. Remember, if the thing is pitted, it is pitted. Nothing you can do will help. the Beumont is roughly 11mm. get a 410 shotgun rod and brass brush. Wrap the brush in the fine steel wool, soak in bore cleaner or penetrating oil and go to work. every so often, clean out the bore residue with a patch or piece of toweling. If the bore is still rough, soak it in bore cleaner and let set for an hour or so, then swab out.
let me know if you need any help.

thanks a bunch.

I went down to the local gunstore yesterday to see what they had to say about her. The guy there had only seen one in a book, but he knew what to do. He told me to do the same thing that you told me to do. she really looks great now, compared to what she used to look like. there is a little pitting, but most of the crud came of. she was stored in a relatively dry place, so not much of the crap on here was hard to get out. I disassembled her and cleaned the stock as well.

Any history or information, especially where to get ammo for her would be much appreciated

old rifle

the only way to get ammon is to buy converted . Thy the Old western Scrounger. I think he is on the net. He has the stuff for sale. One other point. the mainspring is inside the bolt handle. That is why the split and the screw. Take the bolt out, undoo the screw, the bolt handle comes apart and can be cleaned. The only bolt action ever to use a V spring.

thanks, i noticed the bolt with the screw, and i was gonna take it appart, but i haven't yet

Are you sure you want to fire it? It look to be quite an antique, it might be worth alot. More, if you just hang it on a wall as a collectors piece.

yea, i think i'm going to hang it on the wall, but unfourtunately, its worth only about 150-200 dollars, so i think it would be really cool to fire it.

Back