Civilian wearing an antique navy ring

jleffert7

Hi, I am a civilian who has an old USN ring and I would absolutely love to wear it, but I don't know if it is acceptable. I looked all over the internet to try and find an answer to my question, but I was unsuccessful. I know its not right to wear a masonic ring if you aren't a mason, but I had reason to believe this may be a little different. I had a relative who served in the navy, I'm not sure if this makes any difference. I would in no way try to claim or represent myself as a service member, I just really like the ring.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks

Hi, I am a civilian who has an old USN ring and I would absolutely love to wear it, but I don't know if it is acceptable. I looked all over the internet to try and find an answer to my question, but I was unsuccessful. I know its not right to wear a masonic ring if you aren't a mason, but I had reason to believe this may be a little different. I had a relative who served in the navy, I'm not sure if this makes any difference. I would in no way try to claim or represent myself as a service member, I just really like the ring.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks
I have no specific knowledge of these things or the Law within the US, but I would say, "If the ring is Government issue as either a decoration, award or a part of a dress uniform I'd say, No you cant wear it".

However if it is only a piece of personal jewelry, anyone could wear it.

BUT, if as you say it is an antique, (have it valued) then professionally cleaned, wrapped in acid proof paper in a sturdy ring box and locked in a bank security box.

Last edited:
Yes I dont believe there is any law against it, and as far as the antique factor, its worn and marked sterling so I know its not new, but I'm not sure how old. I know it wasn't an award of any kind and I don't believe that they were government issued. So I think I'm safe there.?

Can you post a picture of it here?
That would make it easier to answer your question.

I couldnt figure out how to upload one, but here is one i found online that looks just like it..

vintage-wwii-usn-us-navy-military-sterling-silver-ring-42d27.jpg

I don't know that a ring specifically violates 10 USC 771 and/or 772, but I wouldn't take the chance personally. Didn't serve? Don't wear things that suggest you did or do.

Nothing against it and the poor taste police have no real powers.
Personally I would never wear something I never earned.
A person who never put themseles in a position to earn some kind of symbol might have a hard time appreciating this.

I wonder about the "tribal" tats you see so much of. i keep thinking that someday one of these clowns will be swaggering along and a real Maori warrior or somebody similar will pounce and tear their head off.

Question then, what if a relative wanted you to have something like that? Would it be proper then?

Just asking because my Dad gave me his brass US pin.

Question: you see one of my memorial tattoos in the greatest memory of my DA. I had wanted to put Semper Fortis, in a beautiful font and a small yellow heart hanging off it on top of the anchor. Means a lot to me too. Even though I have not served. Always Strong; Courageous, has very, very special meaning to me. My DA made me that way. The yellow heart represents the close friendship we had. And I drew that tattoo myself. So what do you all think?
Because I am a survivor! Went through hell and came back stronger and a better person for it. I have the the scars to prove it. And my DA,(Mom died 25 yrs ago), was proud of me because of it.

Last edited:
Nothing against it and the poor taste police have no real powers.
Personally I would never wear something I never earned.
A person who never put themseles in a position to earn some kind of symbol might have a hard time appreciating this.

I wonder about the "tribal" tats you see so much of. i keep thinking that someday one of these clowns will be swaggering along and a real Maori warrior or somebody similar will pounce and tear their head off.

Oh I agree. Just like the tabs that we wear. Gotta earn the right to wear that tab.

Question then, what if a relative wanted you to have something like that? Would it be proper then?

Just asking because my Dad gave me his brass US pin.

No, not really, because you yourself haven't earned the right to wear that. For instance I wear the Sapper tab, even though I'm a Drill Sergeant, because I've earned the right to wear that tab. The US pin indicates that you are in service to the United States, which is earned by completing basic/AIT.

The only real exception to this are challenge coins, which are unique because you can give these to someone you feel deserves to carry this coin. When you give a challenge coin you're telling them that have to step up and prove they should carry this coin, but also giving them a vote of confidence in them.

Well just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons I am going to disagree and say that in this particular case you guys are being a bit "precious".

I agree entirely that items "identifying" the person as a service person should not be worn but "keepsakes" and "heirlooms" are in my opinion an entirely different story.

Well just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons I am going to disagree and say that in this particular case you guys are being a bit "precious".

I agree entirely that items "identifying" the person as a service person should not be worn but "keepsakes" and "heirlooms" are in my opinion an entirely different story.

The thing is, it depends on how you look at it. Someone could look at it oh look he's in the Navy. Others could look at it and realize that it's much older. See what I mean?

The thing is, it depends on how you look at it. Someone could look at it oh look he's in the Navy. Others could look at it and realize that it's much older. See what I mean?

While that may be true I would also venture to say that we have people wandering the streets in all sorts of things that do not automatically lead me to believe they are a member of that organisation after all I don't assume the guy in a Giants baseball cap plays for the Giants or that the guy with the Led Zeppelin tee shirt works for the Hindenburg company. :)

As such I am inclined to believe that I would not believe that the 30 year old with a WW2 ring on served in WW2

Last edited:

A honest thanks for your opinions...all of you.
-Dadsgirl

I don't know that a ring specifically violates 10 USC 771 and/or 772, but I wouldn't take the chance personally. Didn't serve? Don't wear things that suggest you did or do.
Sec. 771 certainly applies to stuff like dress uniforms & awards. However, something such as jewelery I don't think is covered. Just like how you see people wearing fatigues, sometimes with patches as well. No one says anything.

Family military rings

My Grandfather was a Master Sergeant in WWII. I was handed a military ring from the "bradford exchange of him serving in the U.S. NAVY in remembrance of his service, and the question is, can I wear the ring as a family member? the answer is both yes and no. As a family member, our relatives who served our country with their lives, paid the price for us to remember them with honor, and according to that honor, you can not wear a military ring in public as impersonating a military soldier; however, as a family member, he paid the price that I can wear the ring only in my household, as long as it is in only within your house. But that does not mean that I will let and children wear it because it will end up in the yard outside and that would be disrespectful. Once you start heading out the front or back door to exit your household, even if you are on your property, you cannot wear the ring in public. I used to wear my dad's rings when I was young, and my mom's jewelry, and it was fun to dress up, and get to wear things in the house that you can't wear in public, those are the special rings in life, and I love the ring because it signifies our victory over the nazi's in WWII. My uncle also served in WWII in the U.S. ARMY and was there in Normandy on D-Day. I am getting a commemorative ring for him too, which I will also wear in the house only. That is how I remember them, life is too short to have never worn the ring, but of course in secret. I wouldn't suggest wearing the ring indoors if it meant damaging the ring, that is disrespectful, but for the service military soldiers give and pay the price for their family to remember them, but don't show anyone that you are wearing them, it is my secret right within my own house to take care of their rings as however I see fit within a reasonable understanding, but you won't catch me in public because I did that once and I will never do it again because of glory and valor. My suggestion is to keep it to yourself when you wear them, and don't go out in public, and don't show it off. Now if I have company over, I might wear the rings as far as playing board games, but only in my house, and they have to be my best friends, for all other parties, no, I will not wear the rings when company is over because I do not want people to get the wrong impression and dishonor myself. I am wearing the ring now, but I'm about to go to my best friends house, so I'm taking the ring off, because it is a very, special ring that I love, and that's what matters.

Commemorative rings verses government issued rings

Commemorative rings can be worn by family members inside their own home, government issued rings cannot be worn because of the blood of the soldiers that gave their lives for freedom. That honor is for military personal only.

commemorative rings and showcases

My sister got the American flag when at my grandpa's funeral, but when my grandpa was alive, he had bought a Ivory color Muzzleloading Pistol: Derringer - Philadelphia - 0222 - 1 of 2000 Limited Edition Black Powder only - Made in Spain - Traditions - Deep River C.T.

My mom had bought a commemorative U.S. NAVY ring from Bradford Exchange Jewelers.

since it is a commemorative ring and not a government issued ring, i can wear it in my house, but not in public so I do not appear as impersonating as military personal.

But with the derringer along with the commemorative ring, I have decided to make a showcase to keep the ring in despite being able to wear it only in my home. And I will put it along with the other pictures and special family things in my den where the fireplace is, and there I will leave it in its case to enjoy while playing board games.

I used to play chess with my grandpa when I was growing up, he let me win, but what he enjoyed was being able to sleep in my room at Christmas time and being able to play chess with his grandson. This was in the 90's, and I had multi function colored Christmas lights on all 4 walls of my room.

His ring and his derringer now sits with his picture in the family room.

Last edited:
Back