Civilian crimestoppers- right or wrong?

That's awesome. Still, I wouldn't stick my neck out to stop a burglary, that's the cops' job. Now if someone was being attacked or something like that, then I'd regret it the rest of my life if I didn't do something about it.

This guy left his card and said he could not wait because he had an appointment. He just smiled at the crowd and walked away.

It turns out he is not between 70/80 as reported . he is actually 84.
And 6' 3" - big target!

Here, they usually do carry guns - you can count on it, and both were wielding sledge-hammers. Guys estimated as 18-20. Amazing that he deliberately unmasked the one he grabbed.

I think that it's Right, regardless of what Law enforcement agency's say. But then again, I feel that the Government should declare "open season" on criminals generally.

This man's attitude was summed up by a 93 year old in my town who when told he was not to use his lawn mower, said, "Why,.. how much longer do you think I've got, either way, I might as well go out doing what I like".

I think that it's Right, regardless of what Law enforcement agency's say. But then again, I feel that the Government should declare "open season" on criminals generally.

I couldn't agree more. There is a stunning article about the refusal of the right to self defence in UK posted in August 2003

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=33945

Its just about says it all thats been apparant in the UK for years.

All too often criminals have more rights then the law-abiding.

I'm afraid that the opposite is true. Because we have griped at the police abandoning the streets for so long (Gov. problem) we now have these sort of bit police patrolling, but they are told they should not intervene, and not confront anyone, but try to send for help. 2 of them recently stood by while a little child died in a river, they had instructions not to get involved, but to wait for real police to arrive. Then two young guys turned up and immediately dived in to help, but too late by then. These type of special police must not put themselves in harm's way. (not like our old time specials, who were mostly ex-army volunteers, back in the fifties etc.)

They give out parking tickets and on the spot fines for trivialities; so much for a police presence on the streets.

Now Tony Martin was at the end of his tether; he lived in an isolated house in the country, but these travellers had harrassed him continually, breaking in and burgling. he had to keep his house stripped and boarded up, and try to live inside under siege. He had asked for police help many times, and they were supposed to be protecting him. He was in darkness in his house at the time and fired from the stairs. Unfortunately for him one of them got hit in the back, they say. The other guy claimed damages and has been a bucket of trouble ever since, just as before.

Last edited:
This reminds of my lifeguard training many years ago.

My Instructor taught that many many drowning deaths are due to people who attempt to aid those who are drowning, but since they are without proper rescue training wind up drowning themselves along with the person they are trying to help.

The point is: Leave it amateurs can leave to disasterous results, leave this sort of thing to the professionals.

This reminds of my lifeguard training many years ago.

My Instructor taught that many many drowning deaths are due to people who attempt to aid those who are drowning, but since they are without proper rescue training wind up drowning themselves along with the person they are trying to help.

The point is: Leave it amateurs can leave to disasterous results, leave this sort of thing to the professionals.

I tend to believe that if you are in a position to do something with acceptable risk to yourself then you should do something.

I do not think amateurs need to be suicidal but also think that walking past a situation you can rectify without doing anything says a lot about the individual.

Last edited:
So do you guys feel that here we should have substitute police on duty who are not capable of attempting to attend such situations? to be incapable of doing anything but stand and watch a child drown. If I remember correctly, he was helped with the aid of a long stick eventually, but too late to survive.

Back