Civilian collections

Imakuni

How legal is it for us civilians to collect military items?

You can get almost everything browsing ebay, just depending on how much money you can/want to spend on your collection.

How come in USA it's that easy to get such items?

Depends on what it is. Uniform's are considered to belong to the veteran as long as they are honorably discharged and have completed their commitment.

Other items are generally things that have been replaced in issue or are unservicable.

Depends on what it is. Uniform's are considered to belong to the veteran as long as they are honorably discharged and have completed their commitment.

Other items are generally things that have been replaced in issue or are unservicable.

There are places where you can buy US military apparel, such the ACU, the Multicam and other stuff. There are differences between the real things and what you can buy there? I read they provide the US military with things.
I am thinking of US Cavalry

http://www.uscavalry.com/

There are places where you can buy US military apparel, such the ACU, the Multicam and other stuff. There are differences between the real things and what you can buy there? I read they provide the US military with things.
I am thinking of US Cavalry

http://www.uscavalry.com/
Some of the commerical stuff isn't milspec. Stuff like MARPAT is copyright/patent protected and not offered for new commercial sale.

What I mean is:

Anyone can create an ebay account, and bid on let´s say this item http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Marine-C...CI&otn=3&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=50646263130603207 (*)

Why is it so easy to get this uniform? now you own it you can easily impersonate a member of the armed forces.

Now, there´s a diference between collecting and trying to be something you are not.
How "safe" is it to be a collector? if you only collect but not wear/use these (at least not in public) then can you be accused of the stolen valor act??

(*) I have no relation with either the seller or the item in this listing, i´m in no way promoting ebay, the seller or the items depicted, this is used only as an example.

You need to understand that in the US what the military is allowed to do is very different than it is in Mexico. Wearing a set of MARPAT in public as non-Marine or Multi-Cam as a non-service member will get you ridiculed and belittled. Wearing a dress uniform with decorations will get you the same. Stolen Valor has been overturned.

When I ETS'd just about everything that touched my skin minus gloves and helmet were mine to keep. I probably have 8 sets of ACUs and 4 or 5 pairs of boots in my closet.

I also have personal stuff I bought such as a ruck, phanny pouch and so on.

This stuff is sitting in my closet collecting dust hence why you see like items up on ebay.

When people start auctioning MK19s and LRAS sights I'll be worried.

Last edited:
well of course there are certain things you won't ever find for sale...

Then, can anyone keep collecting with no risks????

Back