Civil Unions Vs Gay "marriage" thoughts?

--

January 10th, 2008  
Infern0

Topic: Civil Unions Vs Gay "marriage" thoughts?

just split off from the other thread and seems like and interesting topic....interested on your views
January 10th, 2008  
Marinerhodes

I can see a Civil Union. Marriage I can not. For as long as a person wants to go back Marriage has been between one woman and one man (depending on your religion it may be more than one woman).

As far as I am concerned a Civil Union can have all the trappings and responsibilities as a marriage (alimony, adultery etc etc) but should most definitely NOT be called marriage.

In my opinion thw word Marriage has strong religious connotations that go with it. As far as I am concerned homosexuality is against God and the church and thus should not be used with the word Marriage.
January 10th, 2008  
!LH@N

Yeah, I don't have a problem with civil unions either. As long as it provides the same legal advantages and disadvantages a marriage does, I don't have a problem

Regards,
Il
--
January 10th, 2008  
A Can of Man

Just don't call it a marriage.
I don't see WHY they HAVE to call gay civil unions as a marriage. I mean, isn't "Marriage kind of spelled out as a thing between a man and a woman?
But I think the point is that they want there to be no difference between the two.
One day, the word for the male reproductive organ and the female reproductive organ will be the same.
January 10th, 2008  
Del Boy

Agreed. And we have a record I believe - Inferno and I in agreement.
January 10th, 2008  
pixiedustboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinerhodes
I can see a Civil Union. Marriage I can not. For as long as a person wants to go back Marriage has been between one woman and one man (depending on your religion it may be more than one woman).

As far as I am concerned a Civil Union can have all the trappings and responsibilities as a marriage (alimony, adultery etc etc) but should most definitely NOT be called marriage.

In my opinion thw word Marriage has strong religious connotations that go with it. As far as I am concerned homosexuality is against God and the church and thus should not be used with the word Marriage.
I agree......
January 10th, 2008  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0
just split off from the other thread and seems like and interesting topic....interested on your views

I honestly can't say I care what its called, so far the only real argument seems to be that "marriage" has some religious significance which I suspect is highly dubious as you can get married without any religious involvement what so ever.

I think what needs to determined is whether marriage is a church function or a description of an act of union, if it is a church function then surely all court house/registry office marriages should be in question and if they are not then should a government department have the right to discriminate against an element of the community.
January 10th, 2008  
Rabs

Dittos on Montys points.
January 10th, 2008  
Missileer

"Marriage" as a word describing a union between two consenting adults, will always be accepted by society, worldwide, as a union between a male and a female. Some may not agree with that statement but I'll stand by it because any poll taken by anyone on earth will bear that out. I'll bet a year of MonteB's salary on it.
January 10th, 2008  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
"Marriage" as a word describing a union between two consenting adults, will always be accepted by society, worldwide, as a union between a male and a female. Some may not agree with that statement but I'll stand by it because any poll taken by anyone on earth will bear that out. I'll bet a year of MonteB's salary on it.
You are more than likely correct however I suspect thats more due to social conditioning than anything else, lets face it for 1500 years we said the same thing about the world being flat. Social and religious conditioning has been a very powerful tool for preventing progress in the past.