Civil Unions Vs Gay "marriage" thoughts?

Infern0

Banned
just split off from the other thread and seems like and interesting topic....interested on your views

I can see a Civil Union. Marriage I can not. For as long as a person wants to go back Marriage has been between one woman and one man (depending on your religion it may be more than one woman).

As far as I am concerned a Civil Union can have all the trappings and responsibilities as a marriage (alimony, adultery etc etc) but should most definitely NOT be called marriage.

In my opinion thw word Marriage has strong religious connotations that go with it. As far as I am concerned homosexuality is against God and the church and thus should not be used with the word Marriage.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with civil unions either. As long as it provides the same legal advantages and disadvantages a marriage does, I don't have a problem

Regards,
Il

Just don't call it a marriage.
I don't see WHY they HAVE to call gay civil unions as a marriage. I mean, isn't "Marriage kind of spelled out as a thing between a man and a woman?
But I think the point is that they want there to be no difference between the two.
One day, the word for the male reproductive organ and the female reproductive organ will be the same.

I can see a Civil Union. Marriage I can not. For as long as a person wants to go back Marriage has been between one woman and one man (depending on your religion it may be more than one woman).

As far as I am concerned a Civil Union can have all the trappings and responsibilities as a marriage (alimony, adultery etc etc) but should most definitely NOT be called marriage.

In my opinion thw word Marriage has strong religious connotations that go with it. As far as I am concerned homosexuality is against God and the church and thus should not be used with the word Marriage.

I agree......

just split off from the other thread and seems like and interesting topic....interested on your views

I honestly can't say I care what its called, so far the only real argument seems to be that "marriage" has some religious significance which I suspect is highly dubious as you can get married without any religious involvement what so ever.

I think what needs to determined is whether marriage is a church function or a description of an act of union, if it is a church function then surely all court house/registry office marriages should be in question and if they are not then should a government department have the right to discriminate against an element of the community.

"Marriage" as a word describing a union between two consenting adults, will always be accepted by society, worldwide, as a union between a male and a female. Some may not agree with that statement but I'll stand by it because any poll taken by anyone on earth will bear that out. I'll bet a year of MonteB's salary on it. :)

"Marriage" as a word describing a union between two consenting adults, will always be accepted by society, worldwide, as a union between a male and a female. Some may not agree with that statement but I'll stand by it because any poll taken by anyone on earth will bear that out. I'll bet a year of MonteB's salary on it. :)

You are more than likely correct however I suspect thats more due to social conditioning than anything else, lets face it for 1500 years we said the same thing about the world being flat. Social and religious conditioning has been a very powerful tool for preventing progress in the past.

I agree completely with the post of Missileer.

What the hell is all this flat earth business ? You only have to look at it - anyone can see that it goes up and down.

Since sex outside of marriage is punishable by death in some parts of the world, I would imagine cerimonial marriages will be the norm for years, or eons, to come. The mere fact that one is homosexual is a death sentence in some countries. I have a feeling that's why there are zero homosexuals in Iran, at least that's what their leader has proclaimed, so I guess the US is pretty lenient in regards to gay rights in comparison.

If gay "marriage" does come to pass then what's next? Polygamy? How many people will it be legal to marry at one time? And if there is a cut off (say 4 persons in the marriage) then someone will be fighting for a 5th, and 6th, etc.

After that happens perhaps we should change the age of consent. Or make <I don't know if I'm allowed to comment on this sexuality, the word was taken out> legal.

This truly isn't just about "gay marriage" or gay rights. As it's been said gays have perfectly equal unions, they only want the term "marriage" to make sure everything is down to the letter "equal." Political correctness is just a nice liberal word to make everyone forget about their own morals and values and the morals and values of their religion under the guise of "not hurting anyone's feelings."

IMHO.

Last edited:
I think the time you compare yourself to Iran or Saudi Arabia you're lost anyways.

Regards,
Il

PS: I'm pretty sure there are gays in Iran, but they're just hiding out of fear.

EDIT:
If gay "marriage" does come to pass then what's next? Polygamy? How many people will it be legal to marry at one time? And if there is a cut off (say 4 persons in the marriage) then someone will be fighting for a 5th, and 6th, etc.
Why don't you look at some Mormon sects in the US? They're practicing polygamy, and it's totally legal. While their first wife is recognized by the state, the rest is just ignored.

After that happens perhaps we should change the age of consent. Or make <I don't know if I'm allowed to comment on this sexuality, the word was taken out> legal.

This truly isn't just about "gay marriage" or gay rights. As it's been said gays have perfectly equal unions, they only want the term "marriage" to make sure everything is down to the letter "equal." Political correctness is just a nice liberal word to make everyone forget about their own morals and values and the morals and values of their religion under the guise of "not hurting anyone's feelings."

IMHO.
It's nice you have morals and values. They are your personal thing though. So keep your morals and values to yourself, and don't try to impose them on others (who might not think homosexuality is morally wrong, from their own morals and values, right?)

Last edited:
I think the time you compare yourself to Iran or Saudi Arabia you're lost anyways.

Regards,
Il

PS: I'm pretty sure there are gays in Iran, but they're just hiding out of fear.
I agree a tad, with your first comment. I understand what he was trying to say, but I do agree one can't really compare the USA to countries that are in a Hitler like mind almost.

On your "P.S." note, I am not a supporter of homosexuality, I think it's becoming more of a fad than "we were born this way." I do however believe there are some very good, good people that are homosexual and I would never shout filth at them the way some do. I didn't mind overmuch when they were in the closet and if they want to come out...they are totally welcome to it. But forcing their way of life down my throat or down my (future) kid's throats is not going to fly.

I am totally happy with my close-minded views that men don't cry like babies while watching Fox and the Hound, that men are the head of the house, that marriage is one man and one woman under the eyes of Church and state, and that women have smaller feet so they can stand closer to the sink when doing dishes.

:D

Does that make me a cavewoman?

I agree a tad, with your first comment. I understand what he was trying to say, but I do agree one can't really compare the USA to countries that are in a Hitler like mind almost.
Did you know that in Iran, there is a seat in parliament RESERVED for the Jewish minority (which is under one percent if I remember right), and they swear in putting their hand not on the Qur'an, but on their own holy book.

On your "P.S." note, I am not a supporter of homosexuality, I think it's becoming more of a fad than "we were born this way." I do however believe there are some very good, good people that are homosexual and I would never shout filth at them the way some do. I didn't mind overmuch when they were in the closet and if they want to come out...they are totally welcome to it.
Agree.

But forcing their way of life down my throat or down my (future) kid's throats is not going to fly.
Ain't happinin'

I am totally happy with my close-minded views that men don't cry like babies while watching Fox and the Hound,
Prejudice.

that men are the head of the house,
Very sexist. There is no head in a good working relationship/marriage, it's a you co-operate and find a consensus.

that marriage is one man and one woman under the eyes of Church and state, and that women have smaller feet so they can stand closer to the sink when doing dishes.
HAHA I liked that one :D

Regards,
Il

On your "P.S." note, I am not a supporter of homosexuality, I think it's becoming more of a fad than "we were born this way." I do however believe there are some very good, good people that are homosexual and I would never shout filth at them the way some do. I didn't mind overmuch when they were in the closet and if they want to come out...they are totally welcome to it. But forcing their way of life down my throat or down my (future) kid's throats is not going to fly.

Yeah I am sure there is a whole movement devoted to making "gay" look cool, I am sure we all know guys and gals who are thinking hey I want to be ostracised by my peers and relegated to a life of hiding from family and friends who knows maybe I can even get beaten up by old friends. Bugger it I am going to join the fad and be gay.

Seriously how would gay marriage be forcing their lifestyle down your or your kids throat, will you be forced to go to gay weddings?

From a purely male point of view I don't care whether guys are gay or not its just more females to go around (man I hope the wife doesn't read this :p) and we all know lesbians make great videos.

I am totally happy with my close-minded views that men don't cry like babies while watching Fox and the Hound, that men are the head of the house, that marriage is one man and one woman under the eyes of Church and state, and that women have smaller feet so they can stand closer to the sink when doing dishes.

:D

Does that make me a cavewoman?
You should try moving to New Zealand, no self respecting Kiwi bloke would watch some half arsed chick flick and since we have one of the highest rates of family violence in the world I think it would be taken for granted that you wont be the head of the house and lets face it bruises and bones heal.

yeesh.

:roll:

A man being head of the household is does not mean there isn't an equal partnership. Men and women work in different ways and should both bring different talents to the table. I used the phrase "head of the household" mostly to get rid of this idea that women are running the show (which they are in American, look around at...everything). All of the commercials are, "my stupid husband this," and "I had to do this because my boyfriend didn't know how to do it." It's demeaning to men, and I'd like to see them get some backbone and start being *gasp* men again.

And real men don't hit women MontyB, so I'm not even going to comment on your thoughts of 'men.'

(Sorry, back to gay topic)....

And it IS happening btw, didn't you read the article that way up a while ago? (I think it's posted here, here's the link anyways)...
http://s3.amazonaws.com/thefirecache/8555.html

You do understand that commercials are aimed at an audience?

I really think you are reading too much into what you see on TV.
I would also suggest that you may be misunderstanding many males, for example my wife buys the bulk of my clothing not because of some stereotypical theory that woman shop more or have better clothing sense or run a certain aspect of the house but because I simply don't care enough to do it myself.

Males are fairly simple creatures and in general put no effort into things we aren't interested in or don't care about and it is for this reason I simply do not care whether they implement gay marriages or not as it is not something I will ever be involved in.

As far as any kids go, well if one was to be gay I really don't think that would worry me either as I consider it the role of parents to ensure their kids grow to be "good" people and thats about it.

Back