Civil Air Patrol

Hey I'm not in CAP but I did think about joining it at one point. However, I'm going to a NJROTC school now so doing both would be pointless. There are those at my school that do both just as there are some that go to the school and go to Young Marines.

Anyways I saw the title and just had to post here because of what happened on a little outing my school took today. (Remember we are still high school students and immaturity sprouts out every so often. Not from me of course.) Back to the story: Its short and sweet, a few of our cadets got tired of being called squids and some derrogitory (sp?) navy terms so they decided to talk back to the cap guys calling them bus drivers and such (no offense to all air force out there). What do ya know the two sides got into a fight. Only about 3 of our cadets and 6 of theirs it was crazy. Lasted a few minutes till their instructors could come over and beat the :cen: out of em. (not literally of course) It was only three of the 300 of our cadets but just lettin ya know. I'm sure its happened in other places before.

C/CPO

I have a friend who is a cadet first lieutenant in CAP...he hates having to salute a squid in the rare event our units do joint exercises.

i hate having to salute officers in the CAP, i really hate butter bars once they get those shoulder boards their ego swells to three times its normal size. Also when ever i get into trouble because i didnt do what i was told to do (happens alot) :twisted: i say "they have no authority over me its a volunteer organization centered around the air force copmosed mainly of civilians who have nothing better to do then boss around other civilians only because they have more "rank" or a high posistion then myself, better yet if you are able to put atleast some degree of the militart into this squadron i might actually do my duty." (most of worked, its a bit more military then before, and im a flght sgt now) If that doesnt shut them up i say "they salute the rank, but follow the man". That always shuts them up.

Yes, well. Thank you for that great characterization of officers in general, I'm sure those of us on this forum who are cadet or "real" officers really appreciate it. :D

:rambo: ***Warning- Shameless Rip on the Air Force/CAP*** :rambo:

Besides, zoomies' egos are the worst of any. It comes from having all that "Wild Blue Yonder" to blow your hot air into.

well why is it that i am the last to hear about this wild blue yonder stuff... :D

nulli secundus: why did you voluntarily join an organization that uses rank as a means to manage teams to get a job called search and rescue done?
If your leadership truly doesnt get the job done..use the system to inform their supervision to remove them and get someone that can get the job done. If the problem is just you, why dont you use a volunteers perogitive and un-volunteer yourself? CAP has enough problems with just doing search and rescue without having to deal with you getting in trouble all the time because you cant do what you are told to do. Just wait until you join the Marines...

LCDR_SurfWar: thanks for the CAP zoomie warning. However, You'd better be nicer to our little zoomie brethren. They may just have to locate your tail in the wilderness, when you run out of fuel in your aircraft trying to decide wheres the best airport to get a cocktail at... :D

If they came to get me if i was downed id say go home and send in the Marines. why would i drop out of the cap im only in it for the SAR stuff and its closer then the Young Marines. I only challenege their authority because i know they hate it and because they have no authority over me they cant make me do anything. I alsocant wait till the Marines, its gonna be the best damn experience of my life. Also in the CAP rank really doesnt matter, its your grade that matters. Yeah i can now see why they have suck low egos its hard being in the air force,and all that pampering they get.

I'm not in CAP, but I'm in the Canadian equivalent. The Royal Canadian Air Cadets. I hold the rank of Warrant Officer 2nd Class. (Second highest rank you can get in the RCAirC.)

nulli secundus said:
Making me a groundpounder not a zoomie.
\

You are neither. You have also not earned the right to disparage either one. Adjust fire on the attitude immediately.

Im a GTM trainee (should of put that in the begining) giving me the right to go on practice or real missions. So i am infact a groundpounder by CAP standards. Who said i was disparaging either one? i was giving my opinion and thoughts in a way.

I see. well so far, i havent seen one thing in your profile, or welcome statement that shows me what you are talking about.

So far, this is what’s confusing me the most, nulli secundus.

"As of right now im a C/Ssgt in the Civil Air Patrol (CAP)."

Okay you say you are in CAP. I take CAP to mean Civil Air Patrol.

"Going to Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point for a week this summer for the NC wing Encampment as a ELC (Encampment Leadership Coarse) cadet."

So far, I interpret this to mean you haven’t gone yet. But it sounds like a good course for you.

"Been wanting to join the Marine Corps for about two to three years now with the high hopes of being a Recon Marine."

Okay.

"and if u dont know nulli secundus means second to none. Which will be a motto for this Corps im hoping to create that will speard through out the CAP"

Good goal, but unless CAP changed its mission, from search and rescue to search and destroy...well I don’t see it being part of any CAP curriculum I know of. Care to enlighten the forum?

"and only the best of the best are the only ones who will join after a long and tough training phase. Which will cover the most of about six months (for the lucky ones i mean)."

Okay.

So what I see here...is a young man. In a volunteer youth program that’s an auxiliary affiliated with the US Air Force but with no actual infantry, special operations or any other training in the military science devoted to ground operations ...yet. Yet you keep on insisting that you are a ground pounder. Okay, you are a ground pounder.

So lets pound on this. I have never called you a zoomie..ever. Go back to the posts and check them. There is not one single post of mine, directed to you, that even suggests you are a zoomie. Now there was a certain young navy NJROTC cadet that got a little reminder not to pick on zoomies in the future. But since you don’t seem to consider yourself a zoomie, why are you even bothering to keep exclaiming that you are not?

I would be terribly stretched in the imagination department to even think you had leanings in that direction in any way after the posts I have seen of yours.

Okay you are not a zoomie. S.W.G.A.S.

:D

nulli secundus said:
Im a GTM trainee (should of put that in the begining) giving me the right to go on practice or real missions. So i am infact a groundpounder by CAP standards. Who said i was disparaging either one? i was giving my opinion and thoughts in a way.

You are not a groundpounder by our standards, and I say that you were disparaging the Air Force.

Now get back on topic, if you feel the need to get any further into this, send me a PM.

Okay...now that i have had a sandwhich and all

For those that are not in or have had Civil Air Patrol: Heres What A GTM is and should be proficent in to be a Ground Team Member:

these tasks are dated 2001 so who knows, maybe they have additional qualifications as well.

The following tasks must be accomplished during each renewal period to maintain currency (after the initial renewal required by the new CAPR 60-3, dated 10 May 2001). Click here to view/print a completion form

L-0001 BASIC COMMUNICATIONS PROCEDURES FOR ES OPERATORS

O-0001 PREPARE GROUND TEAM INDIVIDUAL EQUIPMENT

O-0002 CONDUCT INDIVIDUAL REFIT

O-0201 USE A COMPASS

O-0301 DETERMINE DISTRESS BEACON BEARING

O-0302 LOCATE A DISTRESS BEACON

O-0902 EXERCISE UNIVERSAL PRECAUTIONS

P-0101 KEEP A TEAM LOG

Annual Recurrency Tasks
The following tasks must be accomplished prior to 1 January 2004 to maintain currency.
Click here to view/print a completion form

L-0101 INSPECT A VEHICLE

O-0003 PREVENT AND TREAT HOT WEATHER INJURIES

O-0004 PREVENT AND TREAT COLD WEATHER INJURIES

O-0102 PREVENT AND TREAT FATIGUE

O-0202 MEASURE DISTANCE WITH PACE COUNT

O-0203 NAVIGATE PAST AN OBSTACLE

O-0301 DETERMINE DISTRESS BEACON BEARING

P-0102 CONDUCT A PHONE ALERT

From what I gatherd talking on the phone with the Local CAP guys, they said that nothing for the ground team involving ground military operations exists.

When I asked them did they call themselves ground pounders...well. :D

when I asked if they were zoomies...well. :D

When I asked them if they were Civil Air Patrol...well it was real civil then!

My whole outtake? leave em alone, they are doing a great job of S & R.

Even the little belligerent ones..... :D

My 3 Y/O little girl can do all of that.

I'm a C/Ssgt, training to be a Ranger 3rd class. Making me a groundpounder not a zoomie.

:lol: "Ranger 3d class" Don't tell me, I'm already laughing hard enough.

And you are correct, you aren't a zoomie - you aren't really anything but a high school student. Figure out your place, kid - because you're not even in the barrel to be at the bottom, yet.

Mark Conley said:
"and if u dont know nulli secundus means second to none. Which will be a motto for this Corps im hoping to create that will speard through out the CAP"
Good goal, but unless CAP changed its mission, from search and rescue to search and destroy...well I don’t see it being part of any CAP curriculum I know of. Care to enlighten the forum?

Sure no problem, The Corps imhoping to create goes ALONG with the CAP mission, and curriculum. Im calling it a Corps because their are only to be a small amount of cadets in it. They are going to be the greatest in everything or theirtitle is going to be stricken from them.

Back