Civil Air Patrol, heard of it?

:lol: I'm feeling old again. Last week I got some paper work for a new cadet and when he wrote under birthdate "1990" I almost flipped....cadet's are getting younger!

alliehz said:
:lol: I'm feeling old again. Last week I got some paper work for a new cadet and when he wrote under birthdate "1990" I almost flipped....cadet's are getting younger!

Yea, when seniors in my HS asked when I was born, they flipped! They are not used to the 90's kids

nulli secundus said:
unlike the CAP not being able to order their cadets to do push-ups.
Says who? CAP can't order a cadet to do push ups as a punishment A.K.A. hazing. I guess you've never heard of designated PT time now have you?

I'm sorry Nulli Secundus, but that is incorrect, ordering cadets to do push-ups is not hazing, it is called a punishment for something they did wrong, like talking in ranks. See hazing would be making the kid do twenty push-ups for being out of step. This does not happen. There are some overzealous POs but getting gigged in uniform inspection, and then having IT for that is not Hazing. Hazing is Blanket Party. Watch a couple of movies, you'll see what hazing is in "A Few Good Men," Yes in that Movie the Colonel Orders his Lance to kill a fellow marine for having a talking to IA. The there's a few episodes og JAG. But being able to drop cadets, makes sure you don't have to repeat so many lessons. And yes I do know about CAP, California Wing is notorious around my Parts for having the worst lloking cadets possible. I talk to the New York Wing guys all the time.

I've asked a Col (NC Ex Wing Commander) he said pushups as a punishment is a no go. I'll listen to a Ex Wing Commander before I listen to a Sea Cadet.

nulli secundus said:
I've asked a Col (NC Ex Wing Commander) he said pushups as a punishment is a no go. I'll listen to a Ex Wing Commander before I listen to a Sea Cadet.

CAP is for volunteers not for PT lovers. Many cadets don't care that much about the cadet program, but care a lot about the Flight program. So in the eyes of NHQ physical punishment for ANYTHING is not right and would be considered Hazing. At enencampment was ATF Flight Commander and there was a cadet that did not follow orders. I just said "Do you want the whole flight to do pushups, because of you?" and 2 officers came to me to make sure i was not actually going to do it. It is Hazing any way shape or form

CAP Cadet Protection Policy: CAP is committed to doing everything reasonably possible to combat the potential for child abuse within our organization and to discourage our cadets from illegal use of alcohol and other drugs. CAP members are expected to avoid even the appearance of impropriety involving cadets and report suspected abuse immediately. For the purpose of this policy, abuse is defined in three categories: Sexual abuse, physical abuse, and hazing.
CPP (CAPR 52-10), "Hazing is defined as any conduct whereby someone causes another to suffer or to be exposed to any activity that is cruel, abusive, humiliating, oppressive, demeaning, or harmful. "
Also see CAPR 52-16 CADET PROGRAM MANAGEMENT , 1-3b1 "Prohibitions"
b. Physical Fitness. Upon joining CAP, each cadet will initially be assigned to one of the physical fitness
categories defined in paragraph 1-7. Each cadet is expected to exercise regularly and participate in the unit’s physical fitness program. During each achievement and milestone award (see paragraph 2-3b), all cadets in physical fitness Categories I, II, and III must take and pass the Cadet Physical Fitness Test (CPFT) events required of their physical fitness category, as described in CAPP 52-18, Cadet Physical Fitness Program. Commanders will also provide regular time on the training calendar for fitness training; simply administering the CPFT is not sufficient.
1) Prohibitions. Physical exercise in the Cadet Program will be used only to improve cadets’ physical fitness while increasing confidence, teamwork, and determination. Fitness training will not be used as a form of punishment or as a vehicle to teach remedial discipline.

CAP is not allowed to use PT as a punishment- at all. But just because we can't do this doesn't mean that our organization has sloppy cadets, nor does it make us the weaklings. Some of the sloppiest cadets I have seen were Sea Cadets, so do not feel superior about your group. Every organization, every group, and every club will have sloppy people, but that does not mean that the group as a whole is like that. I will not deny that CAP has bad Sqs, we do, just like everyone else.

Unfortunately some people rather resort to punishment because the cadet did something wrong, but think about it. If you could bring up that cadet in a positive way that will bring results other then strong arms, would you? PT as punishment is the lazy resort! If we keep resorting to it we start to loose the leadership skills we have been working on, and all that training has gone to waste. Yes, I wouldn't mind being able to tell a cadet "drop and give me 20" but over the years I have begun to realize why we have these rules in place. It's because there will be people who will abuse that power, and the whole purpose of learning to be an effective leader has just gone to waste. We may be military like organization, but for the most part we are also under that age of 18, we are also supposed to learn how to be effective leaders. We are being trained and equipped with the tools we need so when we do cross over we will have an advantage, also so we can be better people in our every day lives.

I am in no way a weakling or a hippy, and my cadets are motivated and strong because my Sq and many like mine have found a way to make that happen. Don't believe me? Come and visit.

Well it's not only CAP. The whole United States military is moving tword not using punishments, rather using rewards for doing good things instead of punishing you for doing bad things.

airmanpatroler said:
Well it's not only CAP. The whole United States military is moving tword not using punishments, rather using rewards for doing good things instead of punishing you for doing bad things.
Well, I have a feeling they wont get rid of PT for punishment...not for a while at least.

if CAP isn't aloud too use PT as a punishment why do most squadrons
(including mine, but CANADA doesn't have to do them...) still do it?????

CadetGirl605 said:
Because they don't care about rules and standards. Basically they are a bunch of rouge cadets that need to be reported.

hello just stumbled in to this fourm, ummm according to GA wing (I think or it may just be our dcc that liks CG way too much) using push ups for punishment is not hazing as long as the person telling the cadets is doing it with them also anyone in here going to HGA??? im shoon to be the C/NCOIC for GA wing Honor Guard 8) :D

USAFAUX2004 said:
so when did you join cap? (this goes out to everyone)

ok this is gunna suck but i have been in since nov 01 but i was "inactive" for about a yr so i prolly out rank every C/A1C here but i just recently got promoted to C/SrA being that i have been a A1C for a bout 2 yrs :? :D

No see don't ignore the 77th RSU, if you don't know what it is, then you as a CAP cadet do not give credit for your unit. Drummond Island, another thing to do with them. The 77th RSU was the most hardcore unit in CAP history.

CadetGirl605 said:
Oh god I hope one day I get to go to your squadron LOL Ill have some FUN!!!!!

Back