Civil Air Patrol, heard of it?

Just make sure it's like enlistment. Get it in writting...if not in writing it is considered void and not to be given to you.

Something I have most definitely learned from almost 9 years of serving in uniform. Always make it official and in writing. I can't count how many times I've been screwed over when I was a junior NCO and didn't get something put in writing from my superiors.

Something I have most definitely learned from almost 9 years of serving in uniform. Always make it official and in writing. I can't count how many times I've been screwed over when I was a junior NCO and didn't get something put in writing from my superiors.

I'm not all that concerned about it. If they don't follow through, I'll just quit. At this point, i'm focusing on finding another job, so i'm not sure if i'm going to "re-up" or not.

Might I ask, what is more accurate than information coming directly from it's participants?

CAP has a wonderful reputation of being "affordable" and "there's something for everyone", but I know it best as "Come-And-Pay" and most of the time you find yourself trying to fit in with the squadron and doing whatever you can to become "one of the guys".

SO you have National's (or whoever got to the Wiki first...) version, or you have the people's version...

Might I ask, what is more accurate than information coming directly from it's participants?

CAP has a wonderful reputation of being "affordable" and "there's something for everyone", but I know it best as "Come-And-Pay" and most of the time you find yourself trying to fit in with the squadron and doing whatever you can to become "one of the guys".

SO you have National's (or whoever got to the Wiki first...) version, or you have the people's version...

It's a matter of than not all members have the knowledge of what missions we preform, and cadets know even less.

Cadets love to press the Cadet Program, but thats not all that CAP does. Besides the cadet program is just a very small piece of the pie.

There's a reason they make pamphlets, some members only stress flying, or SAR, or one thing or other.

I recently went to a local squadron, and all they said they did was fly, even tho they have an ES officer. it's a matter of bias, so I present the whole story.

And cadets love to spew and rattle off acronym's and scare the day lights out of prospective members. SAR, DR, ES, ARCHER, IC, etc...

You as a cadet should know the leadership teachings of "No common core experience".

You only know and see one side of the org.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I was a few steps away from being a GTM, I trained every weekend. I've done numerous O-flights and participated in rocket launches and taught AE classes. I've experienced CAP for pretty much all it worth and exhausted the program for all it´s worth and it no longer has any use for me.

Yeah, I was a few steps away from being a GTM, I trained every weekend. I've done numerous O-flights and participated in rocket launches and taught AE classes. I've experienced CAP for pretty much all it worth and exhausted the program for all it´s worth and it no longer has any use for me.

Really now? You've done Cadet Exchange, PROC, Hawk Mountain, ect...?

Everything you've listed my squadron did in one month. We go to museums, raise funds, SAREX's, public speaking, recruiting, participate in local activities, ect....sounds as if your squadron is kinda boring.

So becoming an officer isn't on your list either?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have fond memories of my CAP days. FTX's up in the North Georgia mountains, fun flights, taking a C-130 to the Wright Pat AF Museum...I had the time of my life. It's most definitely something my kids will be involved with when they're of age.

Well this thread seems old but I joined back I 2007 and i have to say CAP is a great program and I assume the other youth military corps are good too. I am currently a C/SMSgt and I'm testing for my last requirement for Chief tomorrow. I am also my squadron's Flight Commander. But I have to disagree with whoever said it's hard to get wings because I'm going Flight Encampment in a few weeks and after that I will get pre-solo wings.

I'm just going to say the Civil Air Patrol is a deticated force for good, it may not seem like much, but there are real planes in the back of my HQ, with hangars, only an idiot would spend that much time and money of putting up barbed wire fences and CAP airplanes and hangars to something so dumb. We may not be the branches of the military, but we get stuff done, and we are all dedicated to do something in life,
for joining a military branch, i'm pretty sure the military would rather see "Cadett in Civil Air Patrol" then nothing. It's a really good way to get started and only the deticated cadetts make it through. I'm new but I'm really into it and i have my BDU's and everything and promise you there was never one time were i didn't have a good time there!

Civil Air Patrol

I was wondering if anyone had heard of Civil Air Patrol/ CAP. I'm part of that... a cadet. :-D justa wonderin

The Civil Air Patrol is the official auxiliary of the United States Air Force. It consists of volunteer adults, many of whom are prior military service and many of whom are pilots and own their own aircraft.
The most important mission of the CAP is search and rescue. When an aircraft or person goes missing, the CAP is frequently called to begin a search. The operation is coordinated with other Air Force resources. The Air Force and other branches of the U.S. Government provide funding for search and rescue and drug interdiction missions. When I worked in the U.S. Treasury Department, I worked on a project where we bought some airplanes for the CAP, if they would agree to do some marijuana spotting flights. These aircraft would be primarily tasked with SAR missions and training of cadets ( air experience flights).
The CAP cadet program is quite large. Male and female cadets join a cadet squadron at, I believe 14 years of age and remain cadets until they pass into the senior squadron. The squadrons normally meet at least once a month, some more often. They train in basic military skills and knowledge and aeronautics. They usually have a summer camp at an Air Force base.
Entrance into the Air Force is not required. It is looked upon as a citizenship. leadership development organization.

Last edited:
Swivel Chair Patrol ha ha!

180079_196675637015877_4455048_n.jpg

Back