City manager of Virginia Beach

wolfen

The City Manager here says he's worth, along with free health care for himself and his family, a $12,000 a year car allowance ( remember when I told everybody about my truck blowing up? I STILL don't have a replacement).
And he sent us all a survey about what we want, a 1% a year pay cut unpaid furloughs, or layoffs.
In the last 3 years my pay has been frozen, he has had 3 raises.

Remind me again why I like it here?
I make $31k a year and I'd give my left one to sit on my ass in a office all day doing the budget with enough tax money to really have a budget, the budget they give me to work with is enough to repair whatever I want as long as I use parts I salvaged from other fences I take down.

As a former municipal employee myself, I feel for you. It sometimes really, really SUCKS to work for local government.

The part that really pisses em off about the whole thing is that I can do his job, I did it when I was in the Navy, my shop had its part of the base budget and we had to manage out money to repair rotorheads and blades, right now I work for the schools fabrication and repair in the Life Cycle division of the city, basically I do installs and repairs to fences, playgrounds, park benches, imenties, sports goals and fields, spectator bleachers, and anything child safety related, you'd hink they would car more about child safety than they do, when a playground part breaks, I usually end up welding it back togeather if its steel or Alu, which isn't supposed to be done according to teh CPSI manual, the damaged parts are SUPPOSED to be replaced, It took me 3 years to get 5 spiral slides to replace damaged ones. and there was a list in eth paper a few weeks back with a who's who of city employees who got a raise, and NOBODY who deserved a raise got any.

Yeah Wolfen feel yer pain we may be gettin unpaid furlough days per month and sick day cuts.

But you bet yer ass the county commissioners ain't takin a hit on their 85 grand a year cushions.

Could you try stirring up the local media with what you said here?

You think I want to let them know I could do his job for what I make now? Heres what would happen if I did something like that, I'm afraid that I'd stop at a red light, my light would turn green, and there would either be a drive by on my Jeep, or I'd go at the green light and be hit and killed by a dump truck.

Back