Cink relishes Firestone showdown with world number one

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=golfNews&storyID=2006-08-28T000847Z_01_N27287127_RTRIDST_0_SPORT-GOLF-PGA-CINK.XML

AKRON, Ohio, Aug 27 (Reuters) - American Stewart Cink relished going head-to-head with the world's best player before losing a playoff with Tiger Woods for the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational on Sunday.
Woods clinched his fifth title at Firestone Country Club by sinking an eight-foot birdie putt after the pair had shared the first three extra holes.
"I love playing with Tiger, I love watching him play, I love being in his group on Sunday because it usually means you're right there in the hunt," 2004 champion Cink told reporters.
"I can't say enough good things about Tiger Woods. I've been playing with him since I was about 17 and I just relish another opportunity to go against him in another playoff sometime.
"I think it's the real pinnacle of where our sport is right now, and I was up there for a little while."
Woods had led by three strokes early on the back nine before Cink, the overnight leader, caught him after reeling off birdies on 16 and 17.
The world number one collected his second bogey of the day at the par-five 16th and the pair finished the 72 regulation holes level at 10-under-par 270.
GREAT ATMOSPHERE
"It was great out there," the 33-year-old Cink said of the atmosphere at a damp and overcast Firestone on the final day. "I don't know if they were behind me, but I felt like I had a lot of support out there.
"Usually I'm the sort of under-the-radar guy in the group, and I felt like people really got behind me when I made those two birdies on 16 and 17.
"They were looking for somebody to challenge Tiger, and I was able to do that today. It was a great environment, a lot of energy.
"Outside maybe the Ryder Cup and a playoff in a major, there's really no better environment to play in with more electricity in the air."
Despite wasting a chance to win his first PGA Tour title since his Firestone success in 2004, Cink was pleased with his performance.
"Patience paid off," he said. "You know, it was a case of there were highs and lows out there all day.
"Unfortunately I finished on a low, but there were a lot of good things, too. I'm pretty proud of the way I played. I felt like I had my chances."

Back