Churchill's rage over the loss of Singapore - Page 7

--

December 1st, 2011  
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RFK
Oh, and it's BLITZKRIEG, not SITZKRIEG.
Blitzkrieg tranlates to "lightning-war" while Sitzkrieg would be "sitting-war" and thus a contradiction in terms.
Sitzkrieg is a term that has been used to describe the time between the declaration of War & the beginning of the Blitz.
December 2nd, 2011  
84RFK

Seems like I have to brush up my German in addition to seeking out the facts aout British army early radar capacity here then.
December 2nd, 2011  
George

Implication is the French & British sat on thier finger while the Germans regrouped after Poland. Probably a post war thing someone thought up, but obviously post blitz @ any rate.
--
December 2nd, 2011  
samneanderthal

Boy am I stupid? I thought it was a good thing that there are so many Likes in this thread, then I realized that they appear mostly when people are linching me.
December 2nd, 2011  
BritinBritain

The 14th Army in the Far East was always the "Forgotten Army," men were not trained for jungle warfare and their equipment compared to the Japanese was absolute rubbish, which basically is typical.

The British military have for years had to put up with sub standard kit and expected to fight with it and not only that, win. A case in point being the Matilda tank with its two pounder gun, good for opening cans of baked beans or corned beef, but useless against German tanks.

General Percival was hauled over the coals by Major General Wavell for refusing to build defences along the northern side of the island (towards Malaya) stating it would be bad for morale.

Major General Thompson stated in a TV interview recently that Percival was promoted way beyond his capabilities.
December 2nd, 2011  
lljadw

Churchill had 2 options
A)sending aircraft and tanks to the SU,where they could be useful (=killing Germans)
B)Sending these aircraft and tanks to South East Asia,where they would be not useful(there still was no war with Japan),unless Churchill knew (as Sam knows) that Japan would attack .
December 2nd, 2011  
BritinBritain

Its a pity Churchill didn't send equipment to the Far East instead of Russia, at least the 14th Army would have been appreciative.
December 2nd, 2011  
samneanderthal

I already wrote that the British tanks with their narrow tracks and 40 mm cannon were pretty useless in the USSR and the Hurricanes were also of little use.

In any event, the USSR was immense, the Germans had lost most of their tanks and planes in Barabarossa and Stalin could continue withdrawing almost indefinitely, stretching more and more the German supply lines and their exposure to partisans, whereas the 130,000 men in Singapore had nowhere to withdraw. They were doomed.
It is absurd to send hundreds of inferior tanks to the generals who had lost 20,000 better tanks and thousands of cannon in 6 months, instead of sending them to face the toy Jap tanks, where there was not a single allied tank and very few pieces of field artillery. It makes less sense to send those inferior tanks to the incompetent Soviets than to send the best fighters to be used by the best British, French and Polish pilots in France. It makes much less sense to send hundreds of Hurricanes and some pilots to the USSR, where 20,000 planes had been lost and the weather allows for limited flight time than to send them to the chaps flying a few dozen Gladiators and Buffaloes, who are tasked with protecting the British ships and the troops from hundreds of jap planes.
December 2nd, 2011  
Seehund

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDKMS
He's right, it's Flemish for nonsense (I'm not joking).
And Danish
December 2nd, 2011  
Seehund

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
Sitzkrieg is a term that has been used to describe the time between the declaration of War & the beginning of the Blitz.
No! After Poland had lost, there was a lull in the fighting, and the period was jokingly called sitzkrieg.