Churchill's rage over the loss of Singapore - Page 3

--

November 24th, 2011  
VDKMS

samneanderthal , I have two questions for you.
1 : how old are you?
2 : where are you getting your information from?
November 24th, 2011  
84RFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDKMS
samneanderthal , I have two questions for you.
1 : how old are you?
2 : where are you getting your information from?
1: I couldn't possibly know, but I'd guess he's well passed the teens.
2: Another guess, but I'd say mainly Wikipedia and the sources linked from there.
November 24th, 2011  
samneanderthal

I'm 5 and get all my information from watching the Simpsons.
--
November 24th, 2011  
George

The German Raider Kormoran captured intelligence from the Atomaton revealing how weak the British defences in the Far East was, may or may not have had a big influence on Japanese plans. When the Prince of Wales & Renown went east the Admiral failed to order a Carrier @ Capetown to join the Group. Could have made the diffrence on that little episode. Gotta keep in mind that @ the time Westerners considered the Japanese as a lesser Race, despite their record of sucsess in the Russo-Japanese War.
November 24th, 2011  
samneanderthal

The Japs had a British spy relaying all the information about the ridiculous air force in Malaya-Singapore. And along with the German information received streams of information from Japanese subs.

Had all the British carriers been there with the Repulse and PoW, they would have been promptly sunk, for their few and obsolete planes were a poor match for the hundreds of Japanese planes from aircraft carriers and the tropedo planes and dive bombers flying from Indochina.
Only sending in time the hundreds of Hurricanes and tanks that were sent to the USSR, could have saved the day. However, Chuchill still thought that large numbers of poorly equipped men and two large ships without air cover could have defended Singapore-Malaya.

It is difficult to believe that the US forced Japan out of the middle ages at gun point late in the 19th century, the British trained the Japanese navy and shipyards at the end of the 19th century and soon Japan was defeating Russia and a few decades later had much better carrier planes, submarines and battleships, than those of the mighty British Empire.

You're right, the British were quite racist and considered the Japanese and the Indians inferior, which helps to explain why they were so very few Indian pilots and no Indian Generals (in contrast to many Canadian, Australian, South African and New zealanders).
November 28th, 2011  
samneanderthal

Just like the Brits surrendered the Channel Islands without a fight, because they were indefensible, shouldn't they have withdrawn from Singapore and Burma without a fight, instead of abandoning so many men without planes, ships or heavy field artillery to be certainly defeated and and then get mad about it and leave them in the worst emprisonment terms for years?
November 28th, 2011  
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by samneanderthal
Just like the Brits surrendered the Channel Islands without a fight, because they were indefensible, shouldn't they have withdrawn from Singapore and Burma without a fight, instead of abandoning so many men without planes, ships or heavy field artillery to be certainly defeated and and then get mad about it and leave them in the worst emprisonment terms for years?
Channel Islands were obvious, Singapore was called The Gibralatar of the East & big flaws apparently wern't quite as obvious, not to mention the loss of face if it was abandond.
November 28th, 2011  
samneanderthal

Gibraltar was strong because it had a fleet, Singapore didn't.
No more face can be lost than when 130,000 men are either killed or fall prisoners.
The Japs did in Singapore to the Brits what the Brits had done in Lybia to the Italians, on the latter occassion Atlee said never has so much been surrendered by so many to so few.
It was the first time in WW II that a huge British force was not only defeated but did not have any chance of evacuation, the British specialty.
It was fortunate that Churchill did not manage to send more men in, otherwise 200,000 would have been captured without means of escape.
November 29th, 2011  
84RFK

Shouldn't......we put an end to all the speculations here, I don't find it likely that we will change the history anyway...

And among all the if's, but's, and should....what if the gentlemen of the admittance commitee all had a good nights sleep, got laid in the morning, had a good breakfast, and been in a generally positive spirit before they went out to examine the works of the hopefull lot that was applying to study at the Academy of Fine Arts in Wienna.

What if they had recognized enough talent to accept Adolf Hitler into the Academy, instead of brushing him off as "unfit for painting" in 1907, or at least in 1908.
He was more fit for painting than leading an army...

What if....
November 29th, 2011  
senojekips

It would appear that the forum has acquired an "expert" whose vision only works in hind sight, and even then, only very poorly.