Is Christmas Politcally Corectness Going Too Far?

texasrebel211

I never hear "Merry Christmas" anymore. My younger brother, he is in 6 grade, came home with a letter for a "winter party". I suppose we have parties for spring, summer, and fall too :roll: .

discuss

Definitely!

Here's what I posted in the "Lets put a bit of xmas on here" thread:

Bah! It's the BIRTH of christ! I can't stand how christ isn't ackknowledged anymore, and everyone says "happy holidays" instad of "merry christmas", in case it "offends" someone. Geez! What a joke. People don't shut out buhddist cultures or any other religion. They're actually embraced, but the christian faith is now being shuned. Quite sad.

I saw a story about his on the news. Utter madness. This PC nonsense will probably spread to Britain soon.

How long has this been going on in America?

I go on christmas break, not winter
and I stress to everyone that winter had just barely started before christmas for a reason...

I think people should stop being so sensitive.
In fact... I believe there's a huge anti-Christian movement going on in the name of political correctness. You know what? Eventually, something is going to offend something else. That's just the way the world is. What if a group got offended by people wearing black clothes?? Ugh this is stupid.

On political correctness... you know why the Democratic party lost in the 2004 elections? I think the one reason, before all other reasons is that they f***ed with Christianity.

There is a grade school in Cupertino California that would not let a teacher teach students about the Constitution because it has "endowed by our Creator" in it. But on the other side of the coin, the Governor, Arnold Schwartzenegger renamed the State holiday tree to the State Christmas tree. The liberals were strangely quiet.

I think the problem is that everyone is so concerned about offending someone else that when something sounds possibly offensive people go insane. This whole "being PC" thing is the perfect example of that. You can't say mailman anymore because there are female postal workers. I'm not trying to be sexist, but you can say mailwoman and i still wouldn't care. The point is, if no one ever mentioned being PC in the first place would anyone be offended?

There are people out there that take things WAY to seriously. The world is a pretty screwed up serious place already, the least you can do is take a breath, relax, and have a good laugh once in a while.

Has anyone heard about the latest commercial being banned in the US? It was a commercial made my Chevrolet for the new Corvette C6, costing them a few million dollars. It was banned because it showed a child (a boy about 10 years old) driving without a license. The story for the commercial is that the Corvette C6 brings out the child in you, and the whole thing is just a dream sequence. But there was a HUGE fit over it because there were parental groups complaining that children would go off driving cars erratically. In that situation I would have to say why did you let your child get the keys to the car, let alone drive it. It's a commercial. It's not a lesson in reinforcing child drivers. Seriously people, lighten up, no one knows how to take a joke anymore or be jovial.

Someone needs to amend the constitution so Arnold Schwarzenegger can become president. He's the only person left in the country that isn't nuts.

Missileer said:
There is a grade school in Cupertino California that would not let a teacher teach students about the Constitution because it has "endowed by our Creator" in it. But on the other side of the coin, the Governor, Arnold Schwartzenegger renamed the State holiday tree to the State Christmas tree. The liberals were strangely quiet.

Trevor said:
Definitely!

Here's what I posted in the "Lets put a bit of xmas on here" thread:

Bah! It's the BIRTH of christ! I can't stand how christ isn't ackknowledged anymore, and everyone says "happy holidays" instad of "merry christmas", in case it "offends" someone. Geez! What a joke. People don't shut out buhddist cultures or any other religion. They're actually embraced, but the christian faith is now being shuned. Quite sad.

It's actually been proven that Jesus Christ died on December the 25th...he was born on September 11th 3 BC beteen 7:48 and 8:17 PM...if you use astronomical recreation software check it out, and it's backed up by the bible. Even if it wasn't true, Christmas is only celebrated on the 25th of Dencember because the Roman Catholic church thought that it would be more convenient to put christmas on a holiday that the pagans had already established. More proof of what I say, break down the word "christmas" and you get "Christ Mass". Think about it. And I don't really see the problem with calling it the holiday season...it comes from the words "holy day"

It is all very silly. I am not Christian but I am not offended by Christmas.

Anyway, Christ rarely features in Christmas today.

Trevor said:
It's actually been proven that Jesus Christ died on December the 25th...he was born on September 11th 3 BC beteen 7:48 and 8:17 PM

Kind of ironic...September 11th.

My parents/church had a huge talk about that...we thought it was interesting too. I'm not religious either...but I do think that religion is an interesting paradox of the world....some people live their whole lives around it.

Actually religion forms the way you think more than you can imagine. The whole approach to life, the fact that you can choose to have a religion or not etc. is formed by... religion.
You could grow up in a society where it is absolutely unthinkable that you don't believe in that one religion and that would make perfect sense to you. Your work ethic, your level of tolerance of new ideas... or intolerance is quite determined by in large by religion. And in saying this, I say religion is a key part of culture.
What most of us don't realize is that really we are programmed from a young age.
The fact that one may not believe in a religion is often a reflection that that society's culture and religion actually facilitate such a concept in the first place.

As time goes on though this seems to be blurring much more.

It's reaaaaally going to far, folks.

Due to some islamic kids in schools here we can't even name Christmas anymore, we gotta call it Winter Party and teachers replace the name Jesus with Virtue in order to be politically correct and not traumatize muslim kids.

It's so sick.

40% of Dutch don't want Muslims to feel welcome in their country anymore. Go figure. It doesn't happen for no reason.

the_13th_redneck said:
Actually religion forms the way you think more than you can imagine. The whole approach to life, the fact that you can choose to have a religion or not etc. is formed by... religion.
You could grow up in a society where it is absolutely unthinkable that you don't believe in that one religion and that would make perfect sense to you. Your work ethic, your level of tolerance of new ideas... or intolerance is quite determined by in large by religion. And in saying this, I say religion is a key part of culture.
What most of us don't realize is that really we are programmed from a young age.
The fact that one may not believe in a religion is often a reflection that that society's culture and religion actually facilitate such a concept in the first place.

As time goes on though this seems to be blurring much more.

It's very true, look at the American constitution, even on their money. The phrase isn't "In the president we trust" it's "In god we trust". The basis of marriage, most of our laws, our military, even war itself is based on religion. I think that's why our country is going downhill now. Canada was born with healthy Christian/Roman Catholic values and now it's getting reformed with more and more Muslims, hindus, and buddhists everyday. I have no problem with diversity of religion but I think there's a reason why countries with the majority of the people following religions of that creed have been fighting for thousands of years in the past and will liekly fight for thousands of years into the future. I'm not against immigration at all but my country was founded on a set of values that allowed it to succeed and anyone who wants to come into this country should adopt those values, elsewise there are plenty of other countries that would be more than happy to accept them I'm sure.

My philosphy has been that if someone arrives in a country (and intends to stay for good) which has adopted its own ideology, the newcomer should accept it and either live with it or possibly also convert into it and either way, make sure that his/her life style doesn't go against the ideology of the host country. If this is too much to ask, that person really has no business being there.
You may think that statement is racist (as I am told) but notice how it applies to everyone. It doesn't matter what the color of your skin is, or if your nose tilts this way or that way, it's about what's in the head.
If Christmas offends you, you've got to be a bloody idiot to go to a country that has "In God We Trust" on its paper money.
I think what may have happened (not entirely but in many cases) is that a lot of the local population have actually developed sympathy for these people who refuse to adjust or even TOLERATE the local culture and ideology. It's a condition very similar to the Stockholm Syndrome. It's similar that the sympathy doesn't arise from any cause or idea, but because of the human nature of being sympathetic to the weak. So here we have a situation where the helpless foreigner is going against the culture of the host country... what better example of an underdog could there be? And then this grows into a movement... if it has an especially idealistic tone that is politically marketable (as this one is) it becomes a major political force. All the while, these people who are actually trying to tear down the Christian ideologies, values etc. from all public arenas don't realize that it is their life in a predominately Christian environment that has actually allowed them to even consider having a choice in doing this.

Back