Christmas Memories (Mine).

Chief Bones

Forums Grumpy Old Man
Christmas Memories.

:-o I am now 61 years old and I still have fond vignettes running through my head of Christmas Past.

Us kids getting mom and dad up at O-Dark thirty (4:30 in the morning) to open up our family presents and mom and dad loading the back of the car with the items that were going to the Christmas party at Grandmas.

Pushing and shoving - mom, dad and seven kids piling into the cramped car and heading off to Grandma's place with mom driving and dad snoozing (a trip of approximately 40 minutes).

Arriving at Grandma's we would find Grandma sitting on her little stool in front of the kitchen sink peeling potatoes for the Xmas meal with the smell of pumpkin pies making your mouth water to the point that you just had to go outside to escape the hunger pains.

Grandpa would be sitting in his chair and be enjoying one of his daily ration of fine cigars with the light scent of the cigar smoke intermingling with all of the smells wafting out of the kitchen.

The turkey was so crisp and golden brown with the juices glistening where they'd escaped through the cracks in the skin you just knew it was moist as could be and was going to be absolutely delicious.

Presents piled around grandma's tree in stacks by family groupings that you just knew were going to set all the little ones to twittering. The presents would be opened around 11 or 12 o'clock by everyone so that the debris could be cleaned up prior to the Christmas meal.

The punch bowl was sitting on the kitchen table all day and the various aunts, uncles, cousins, moms, dads, brothers and sisters would dip their cups to full and then proceed to empty them in little sips only to start the cycle all over again (until one of the uncles decided that the punch needed something just a little stronger than ginger ale).

Then all of the moms and dads would put a stop to the young ones partaking of the punch and would break out the sodas (it never failed - every year the same thing happened - it became the standing joke. How long before Uncle *** spiked the punch). All of these things were taking place in the early part of the day at my grandmothers home.

The various families began arriving at about 8 or 9 o'clock in the morning bringing their "swap" Christmas presents (limit $5.00) along with whatever they were contributing to the Christmas meal.

By 1 o'clock or so, everyone was ready to set down to the Christmas repast. SOOOOO - down to the basement where plywood trestle tables were heavy laden with so much food that the tables were "really" groaning (not kidding).

By the time that everyone had filled their stomachs to the "belt loosening" stage it was time for the guys to retire to the "TV" room for the "big" bowl game and the women would clean up the Christmas mess and do the dishes (wiping and putting them away) and then retire back down to the basement where they talked about everything under the sun.

This was the holiday time where they managed to catch up on all of latest gossip about what had taken place during the last year. Along about 6 or 7 o'clock at night, paper plates and plastic silver ware was broken out and the evening "snack/meal" would be eaten. Once that was done, the women would begin splitting up the food that was left into family group packages and the various families would begin heading out the door on their way home.

Mom, dad and the rest of us kids were usually one of the first of the families to arrive and one of the last of the families to leave.

I know that people sometimes look back at life's memories through rose colored glasses and I "may" be looking through a very lightly tinted set my self, but these memories are as alive for me today as they were over 50+ years ago.

May the blessings of a loving god find you in good health - may you be granted your fondest wish. May the memories of your Christmas's be as clear and as enjoyable as mine.

- :-o - Merry Christmas - Happy New Year - Happy Hanukkah -:-o -

Last edited:
well, this tradition goes back to from when my dad was a kid. They used to spend every christmas at their Aunt and Uncles and one of the traditions was the sleigh gifts. Everyone would buy a silly gift for eachother and put it in the sleigh and you would choose one at random. (my dad once got some tomato juice and some vodka, he was 12, he was allowed to drink it...) Well, the tradition carried on (although i never got that alcohol...) and this year my great uncle passed away in October, and my great aunt passed away today (my grandmother said it was ironic since Christmas was her favorite holiday) This year I got a whoopee cushion :lol:
well, heres to christmas (raises shot of vodka:))

Unfortunately my family is not close so we never had any traditions to follow. I can say that my fondest memories of christmas are of when I was 13 years old. It was the year I got my very first bow. I had been telling my Dad since hunting season that I wanted a bow. Just had to have a bow. I am not sure how or why but I got it. Still makes me kind of misty eyed because he always seemed to ignore me to make time for my older and younger brother. Looking back I can see that his love for me was as great as that for my brothers even though it was not shown in the same way.

I am now 31 years old (32 in August) and my Dad and I still talk on a weekly basis. I am the 'black sheep' of the family so to speak. I am the only one of us three boys that has not depended on my Dad to keep or get him out of trouble. I am the one that moved away from home first. the one to be married and have children first. The one to join the military first. the one to do alot of 'firsts' where us three boys were concerned. Maybe my Dad saw this independent trait in me and that is why he left me to my own devices so much in my younger years. It is hard to say. I do know this, so long as I live that is the one christmas I will remember above all others.

Well, my family doesn't have a Christmas day tradition. We celebrate Noche Buena. Which translate into Good night. It is Christmas Eve. Gifts are giving to each other at 12 Mid Night. We have a gaint family dinner. We cook Lechon (Cuban pork) in a China box. Have it with some yuca and some black beans and rice. Mostly, it is a time of remembering old days past. And a time to remember family and friends that have passed away.

Christmas Eve is more important than Christmas day. Because Christmas day is a time for childern. It is when they awake and play with their toys. Christmas Eve is what we look forward too. Friends, Family, good food, and just enjoy the night.

My father was out of town this year during Noche Buena. So we celebrated Christmas Day together.

Luis (5.56X45MM)

PS - To let you guys know, we consider a close family to include, Tías (Aunts), Tíos (Uncles), Abuelos (Grandparents), Primos (Cousins), y Amigos (Friends). There is no such thing as extended families in Cuban Culture.

Just becaus eoyu might not be related by blood doesn't mean that your not family. My Best Friend Jorge is like my Brother. He is family. We have Aunts, Uncles, and Grandparents like that too.

I would say with all seriousness, the things we remember when we are older are sometimes a great surprise and shock to us. The human brain files all of the minutiae of memories and they can crop up at the strangest of times.

In my own case, (I swear it's true) I have memories that have to be memories from when I was two or three years old (I'm presently 61 years old).

What is funny are the things that can trigger these memories. A smell (even a slight odor), a sight (not necessarily a mirror image of a real event in your life) or a word or phrase that's delivered with a slight twist that puts your memories onto a sleigh ride down through the years.

I would wish that all of your journeys down memory lane are pleasant and enjoyable.

For those who would rather not revisit certain memories, I wish you peace.

5.56X45mm said:
Well, my family doesn't have a Christmas day tradition. We celebrate Noche Buena. Which translate into Good night. It is Christmas Eve. Gifts are giving to each other at 12 Mid Night. We have a gaint family dinner. We cook Lechon (Cuban pork) in a China box. Have it with some yuca and some black beans and rice. Mostly, it is a time of remembering old days past. And a time to remember family and friends that have passed away.

Christmas Eve is more important than Christmas day. Because Christmas day is a time for childern. It is when they awake and play with their toys. Christmas Eve is what we look forward too. Friends, Family, good food, and just enjoy the night.

My father was out of town this year during Noche Buena. So we celebrated Christmas Day together.

Luis (5.56X45MM)

PS - To let you guys know, we consider a close family to include, Tías (Aunts), Tíos (Uncles), Abuelos (Grandparents), Primos (Cousins), y Amigos (Friends). There is no such thing as extended families in Cuban Culture.

Same deal. Except we do the tamales, frijoles charro's, and cabrito.At midnight the youngest kid puts the Christo in the manger and then the presents get opened, fireworks get shot (or pistols if I'm at Tio Felipes:p ) kids go to bed and the adults drink, dance and celebrate.

Christmas day is day of recovery menudo and tecate will kill the hangover:sick:

Back