A Christmas Letter to the CNO

AJChenMPH

Forum Health Inspector
Ed. Note: apparently, this would have been written in the mid-1960's, as ADM McDonald was CNO from 01Aug1963 to 01Aug1967.

-----

A Sailor’s Christmas Gift
By William J. Lederer

Admiral David L. McDonald, USN
Navy Department
Washington, DC

Dear Admiral,

This letter is a year late; nevertheless, it is important that you receive it. Eighteen people asked me to write to you.

Last year at Christmas time my wife, our three boys and I were in France on our way from Paris to Nice. For five wretched days everything had gone wrong. Our hotels were “tourist traps,” our rented car broke down; we were all restless and irritable in the crowded car. On Christmas Eve, when we checked into a dingy hotel in Nice, there was no Christmas spirit in our hearts.

It was raining and cold when we went out to eat. We found a drab little joint shoddily decorated for the holidays. It smelled greasy. Only five tables in the restaurant were occupied. There were two German couples, two French families and an American sailor, by himself. In the corner, a piano player listlessly played Christmas music. I was too stubborn and too tired and miserable to leave. I looked around and noticed that the other customers were eating in stony silence. The only person who seemed happy was the American sailor. While eating he was writing a letter, and a half-smile covered his face.

My wife ordered our meal in French. The waiter brought us the wrong thing, so I scolded my wife for being stupid. She began to cry. The boys defended her, and I felt even worse. Then at the table with the French family, on our left, the father slapped one of the children for some minor infraction, and the boy began to cry. On our right, the fat, blond German woman began berating her husband.

All of us were interrupted by an unpleasant blast of cold air. Through the front door came an old French flower woman. She wore a dripping, tattered overcoat and shuffled in on wet, rundown shoes. Carrying her basket of flowers, she went from one table to the other. “Flowers, monsieur? Only one franc.” No one bought any. Wearily she sat down at a table between the sailor and us. To the waiter she said, “A bowl of soup. I haven’t sold a flower all afternoon.” To the piano player she said hoarsely, “Can you imagine, Joseph, soup on Christmas Eve?” He pointed to his empty tipping plate.

The young sailor finished his meal and got up to leave. Putting on his coat, he walked over to the flower woman’s table. “Happy Christmas!” he said, smiling, and picking out two corsages, asked, “How much are they?”

“Two francs, monsieur.” Pressing one of the small corsages flat, he put it into the letter he had written, then handed the woman a 20-franc note.

“I don’t have change, monsieur,” she said, “I’ll get some from the waiter.”

“No, ma’am,” he said, leaning over and kissing the ancient cheek. “This is my Christmas present to you.” Straightening up, he came to our table holding the other corsage in front of him. “Sir,” he said to me, “may I have permission to present these flowers to your beautiful wife?” In one quick motion, he gave my wife the corsage, wished us a Merry Christmas, and departed.

Everyone had stopped eating. Everyone was watching the sailor. Everyone was silent. A few seconds later, Christmas exploded throughout the restaurant like a bomb.

The old flower woman jumped up, waving the 20-franc note. Hobbling to the middle of the floor, she did a merry jig and shouted to the piano player, “Joseph, my Christmas present, and you shall have half so you can have a feast too.” The piano player began to beat out “Good King Wenceslaus,” hitting the keys with magic hands, nodding his head in rhythm.

My wife waved her corsage in time with the rhythm. She was radiant and appeared 20 years younger. The tears had left her eyes and the corners of her mouth turned up in laughter. She began to sing, and our three sons joined her, bellowing the song with uninhibited enthusiasm.

“Gut, gut,” shouted the Germans. They jumped on their chairs and began singing in German. The waiter embraced the flower woman. Waving their arms, they sang in French. The Frenchman who had slapped the boy beat rhythm with a fork against a bottle. The lad climbed on his lap, singing in a youthful soprano.

The Germans ordered wine for everyone. They delivered it themselves, hugging the other customers, bawling Christmas greetings. One of the French families ordered champagne and made the rounds, kissing each one of us on each cheek. The owner of the restaurant started singing “The First Noel,” and we all joined in, half of us crying.

People crowded in from the street until many customers were standing. The walls shook as hands and feet kept time to the yuletide carols. A few hours earlier, a few people had been spending a miserable evening in a shoddy restaurant. It ended up being the happiest, the very best Christmas Eve they had ever spent.

This, Admiral McDonald, is what I am writing you about. As the top man in the Navy, you should know about the very special gift that the U.S. Navy gave to my family - to me and to the other people in that restaurant. Because your young sailor had the Christmas spirit in his soul, he released the love and joy that had been smothered within us by anger and disappointment. He gave us Christmas.

Thank you very much.

Merry Christmas

William J. Lederer

Reprinted by permission of William J. Lederer from Chicken Soup for the Christian Soul by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, Patty Aubery and Nancy Mitchell.

Back