Christianity Spreading in Iran via Multimedia

phoenix80

Banned

June 23, 2007
Christian Today
Jennifer Riley, US Correspondent

Christianity is expanding in the closed, heavily Muslim country of Iran through multimedia technology, according to a Christian persecution watch group. Iranian Muslims in growing numbers are coming to know and accept Jesus Christ through satellite TV, internet and other media outlets, reported Open Doors Middle East field worker Stefan De Groot.

“New media is becoming increasingly important in the future to strengthen the church,” De Groot said.

Formerly, Muslims in restricted countries such as Iran usually only come to Christianity through miraculous experiences such as visions or dreams, noted the group; Christians are prohibited from evangelizing under Iranian laws.

While the Iranian Government tolerates ethnic Christians, allowing them to hold services, guards regularly stand in front of church doors to decide if a person entering the sanctuary is an ethnic Christian. New converts to Christianity put their lives at risk and face persecution from family, friends, employers and authorities when they denounce Islam. Both lifelong believers and new converts have reportedly been imprisoned, beaten and even murdered.

“In spite of this pressure, the house church movement has seen spectacular growth,” De Groot said. “This is not happening just because of dreams and miracles…The majority of people now come to faith through the multimedia, and especially satellite TV. Nobody can control which programmes Iranians watch.”

De Groot noted that Christian satellite programme producers are receiving stories of people who have converted to Christianity after watching their station.

SAT-7, the first Arabic language Christian satellite channel to broadcast into the Middle East, also noted exceptional growth in Iranian house churches during an interview with US Christian newspaper, The Christian Post, in April. SAT-7 has a viewer reach of eight to 10 million in the Middle East and north Africa.

In addition to producing television programmes, Open Doors said it continues to use traditional evangelism techniques.

“Open Doors continues to proceed with the ‘old fashion work',” De Groot said. “I expect that our literature distribution in Iran will increase by 10 to 15 percent in the coming years. Much of the literature which we distribute complements, directly or indirectly, the programmes from the satellite channels.”

The international ministry Open Doors began in 1955 and seeks to support and strengthen persecuted believers in the world’s most difficult areas through Bible and Christian literature distribution, leadership training and assistance, Christian community.
link to original article

religionkn6.jpg

personally i believe the above, and while i dont want to slam it in peoples faces, the evil done in the name of religion (ALL RELIGION) outweighs the benefits.

IMHO

i also want to point out that religion does not equal faith.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with you but you ignored the point of this news story which is the fact that people of Iran, a supposed muslim country, are running away from Islam and convert to more tolerant and peaceful Christianity....

Thats the point behind this story

I don't disagree with you but you ignored the point of this news story which is the fact that people of Iran, a supposed muslim country, are running away from Islam and convert to more tolerant and peaceful Christianity....

well see this is what i would disagree with....calling christianity more "peaceful"

each religion has militant, bigoted ****tards. just like every race has it's share of violent morons.

constraining those traits to one country, religion or country is just silly

again you ignored what I said. I said Christianity is a "more peaceful religion" than Islam... You can't deny it!

I am an agnostic myself but you can't deny the fact that Christianity is way more peaceful than Islam since it has gone thru enlightenment era and has become peaceful over the time. Islam is not a peaceful religion and will never be one. I am not defending neither of them but what am trying to tell you is how people of Iran are tired of oppressive Islam and since they want to have some moral compass and seek spirituality, they'd rather be christians and worship that god rather than worshipping islamic stuff and gods.

btw, this thread is not about evil of religions. It's about how people of that country hate Islam and try to run away from it. ok?

Last edited:
again you ignored what I said. I said Christianity is a "more peaceful religion" than Islam... You can't deny it!

actually i can, christianity can as has been as violent, bigoted and oppressive as islam....and yes, in our time as well.

I am an agnostic myself but you can't deny the fact that Christianity is way more peaceful than Islam since it has gone thru enlightenment era and has become peaceful over the time. Islam is not a peaceful religion and will never be one. I am not defending neither of them but what am trying to tell you is how people of Iran are tired of oppressive Islam and since they want to have some moral compass and seek spirituality, they'd rather be christians and worship that god rather than worshipping islamic stuff and gods.

same god. one god...islam has no god's (plural). just the one which is the same god as Christianity.

you may not be defending one or the other...but you are being selctive in your attack

anyway...terrorism, hate, violence and oppression is not limited to one religion, nor is religion defined by what is done in it's name by misguided or mislead followers.

i could raise Christian terrorists in northern ireland, bosnia, and the US just off the top of my head.

btw, this thread is not about evil of religions. It's about how people of that country hate Islam and try to run away from it. ok?

well ok, if you just want to post an cut and paste article, and not discuss issues raised by it....all well and good. seems you dont want to be drawn on your bias

okie dokie!

I just want to point at the situation in Iran. Open a thread about religion in the appropriate section and I'll be there to discuss.

This is about how Iranians feel about Islam. Have any thing to say about it?

This may be a fad or it may not. Converting then acknowledging that conversion in public are two different things. Practice what you preach etc. It will take decades to see any kind of positive impact from this.

Infern0:

I believe he was talking about the majority of Christian religion(s) that are taught today vs the majority of Islamic religion(s) that are taught today. I profess to my ignorance on how many different sects of Islam religions there are vs the multitudes of Christian religion(s).

Since you profess to be an authority, show me some examples (within the past 10 years) of how Christianity has consistently and majoratively been taught to be a violent religion vs Islamic consistently and majoratively taught to be a peaceful religion. (I think i said that right).

If you can not or will not do this then you shouldn't make blanket statements about how one religion is or is not worse/better than another in some or all areas of belief.

Personally I can not think of any religion other than Islam that tells a person they are charged to kill non-believers (Infidels).

This may be a fad or it may not. Converting then acknowledging that conversion in public are two different things. Practice what you preach etc. It will take decades to see any kind of positive impact from this.

Infern0:

I believe he was talking about the majority of Christian religion(s) that are taught today vs the majority of Islamic religion(s) that are taught today. I profess to my ignorance on how many different sects of Islam religions there are vs the multitudes of Christian religion(s).

Since you profess to be an authority, show me some examples (within the past 10 years) of how Christianity has consistently and majoratively been taught to be a violent religion vs Islamic consistently and majoratively taught to be a peaceful religion. (I think i said that right).

If you can not or will not do this then you shouldn't make blanket statements about how one religion is or is not worse/better than another in some or all areas of belief.

Personally I can not think of any religion other than Islam that tells a person they are charged to kill non-believers (Infidels).

I personally agree with inferno, in a limited sense. I see islam now as where christianity was during the middle ages. They are experiencing the same kind of violence that christianity did, for example inquisitions and crusades. Today christian terrorism is mostly limited to single people or small groups (not saything that Islamic terrorism isnt), and most of the time it has to do with conversion or hot button issues like homosexuality or abortion. Here is a wikipedia on it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism

Edit: An example of a christian terrorist organization http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_of_God

Last edited:

CUT THE B.S.

No religion in this world has clean hands. The Spanish Inquisition, the Crusades. Millions of people have been murdered senselessly in the name of God, motivated by the radical interpretation of Islam or Christianity.

If you want people in Iran to be more "tolerant", religion is the most stupid approach yet.

Last edited:
CUT THE B.S.

No religion in this world has clean hands. The Spanish Inquisition, the Crusades. Millions of people have been murdered senselessly in the name of God, motivated by the radical interpretation of Islam or Christianity.

If you want people in Iran to be more "tolerant", religion is the most stupid approach yet.

Stop being clueless, dude. People in Iran, by converting to christianity, risk the death penalty and show defiance in the face of medieval regime that is discriminating against religious minorities. You've lived all your life in the hands of your socialized economy and social care and you do not understand what people do in other countries. You are as clueless as one could be. You would never get the point and I doubt you ever will.

Braving the death penalty by converting to christianity is a show of defiance and is a brave act and like I said it is beyond your ability to comprehend so I'd leave it at that.

Last edited:

Infern0:

If I were you, I wouldn't waste my time debating with the clueless crowd!

Stop being clueless, dude. People in Iran, by converting to christianity, risk the death penalty and show defiance in the face of medieval regime that is discriminating against religious minorities. You've lived all your life in the hands of your socialized economy and social care and you do not understand what people do in other countries. You are as clueless as one could be. You would never get the point and I doubt you ever will.

Braving the death penalty by converting to christianity is a show of defiance and is a brave act and like I said it is beyond your ability to comprehend so I'd leave it at that.
Putting your religious semantics aside, your ability to comprehend other people's statements is seriously a problem.

I said Christianity is a "more peaceful religion" than Islam... You can't deny it!
worshipping islamic stuff and gods.
I am an agnostic myself but you can't deny the fact that Christianity is way more peaceful than Islam since it has gone thru enlightenment era and has become peaceful over the time.
Provide your evidence.

If you can't provide supportive evidence, then spare us your BS. Infer0 has already refuted your claims and your persistent attitude that Christianity is a more "peaceful" religion truly shows how ignorant and clueless you are. Your generalizations and statements with no supportive evidence makes them nothing.

Just cut the bullcrap. No one wants to hear any of this Islam vs. Christianity discussion you are attempting to incite.

Last edited:

im not going to limit it to the last 10 years, thats stupid when we are talking about religions thousands of years old. but i will limit it to recent history

bosnia sticks out in my mind, muslims were on the receiving end of that nasty hate campaign

Northern ireland sectarian violence between protestants and catholics

westboro (sp) baptist church. sure it's a fringe sect, but after all, isn't that what we are talking about here?

and various "pro-life" christian movements who think pipe bombing abortion clinics is acceptable.

oh....and the holocaust was carried out by by people who professed to be christian

in my mind, it's not the denomination as much as it is fundamentalism, the are fringe sects of almost any faith/religion out there....and 9 times out of 10 they're the loony violent ones.

when you tar islam as being a violent religion, you're taring what? about 1.3 billion people with the same brush.

truth is that it's only really in this century that radical islam has had an issue. and that goes hand in hand with the demand for oil, and the cold war.

IMHO the worst thing the west did, was assist the taliban against the soviets, as this has had a global fall out including, and surpassing the 9/11 attacks. as this included the CIA supplying them with some of the most violent interpretations of the koran ever known. all in an effort to kill more soviets. little thought was made toward what would happen after the cold war was over.

the trick here i think, is to make sure the middle east prospers, for as the middle class grows, the less of a foothold radicals will have to exploit.

of course that easier said than done. but imo liberal islam and the eradication of radical islam is well worth it

Interesting debate.

Some of you may be confusing "Christianity" the religion, and individual Christians or groups who despite the teachings of the Second Person of the Holy Trinity Incarnate (Jesus Christ) have opted to solve a justice issue, or a moral issue, or a culture issue, whatever, with violent means rather than with non-violent means.

Early Christian influence saw the end of the Roman pagan sport where human beings were butchered, slaughtered, or eaten, for entertainment in numerous arenas around the Empire.

No where in the authorised Christian text - the New Testament - is it sanctioned to kill somone if they don't convert to Chritianity. Christian individuals, rulers and ordinary citizens alike, have (mass) murdered but not with the sanction of Christ.

Neither does the New Testament endorse executing or mutilating transgressors of its teachings - save one metaphor used by Christ regarding that if your hand causes you to sin cut it off as it is better to enter heaven without it than to go to hell with it.

In comparision we have:

KORAN commands to kill infidels:

Allah is an enemy to unbelievers. - Sura 2:98
On unbelievers is the curse of Allah. - Sura 2:161
Slay them wherever ye find them and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. - 2:191
Fight against them until idolatry is no more and Allah's religion reigns supreme. (different translation: ) Fight them until there is no persecution and the religion is God's entirely. - Sura 2:193 and 8:39
Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it. - 2:216
(different translation: ) Prescribed for you is fighting, though it is hateful to you.
..... martyrs.... Enter heaven - Surah 3:140-43
If you should die or be killed in the cause of Allah, His mercy and forgiveness would surely be better than all they riches they amass. If you should die or be killed, before Him you shall all be gathered. - 3:157-8
You must not think that those who were slain in the cause of Allah are dead. They are alive, and well-provided for by their Lord. - Surah 3:169-71
Let those fight in the cause of God who sell the life of this world for the hereafter. To him who fights in the cause of God, whether he is slain or victorious, soon we shall give him a great reward. - Surah 4:74
Those who believe fight in the cause of God, and those who reject faith fight in the cause of evil. - 4:76
But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever you find them. - 4:89
Therefore, we stirred among them enmity and hatred, which shall endure till the Day of Resurrection, when Allah will declare to them all that they have done. - 5:14
O believers, take not Jews and Christians as friends; they are friends of each other. Those of you who make them his friends is one of them. God does not guide an unjust people. - 5:54
Make war on them until idolatry is no more and Allah's religion reigns supreme - 8:39
O Prophet! Exhort the believers to fight. If there are 20 steadfast men among you, they shall vanquish 200; and if there are a hundred, they shall rout a thousand unbelievers, for they are devoid of understanding. - 8:65
It is not for any Prophet to have captives until he has made slaughter in the land. - 8:67
Allah will humble the unbelievers. Allah and His apostle are free from obligations to idol-worshipers. Proclaim a woeful punishment to the unbelievers. - 9:2-3
When the sacred months are over, slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them. - 9:5
Believers! Know that idolators are unclean. - 9:28
Fight those who believe neither in God nor the Last Day, nor what has been forbidden by God and his messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, even if they are People of the Book, until they pay the tribute and have been humbled. - 9:29 (another source: ) The unbelievers are impure and their abode is hell. (another source: ) Humiliate the non-Muslims to such an extent that they surrender and pay tribute.
Whether unarmed or well-equipped, march on and fight for the cause of Allah, with your wealth and your persons. - 9:41
O Prophet! Make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites. Be harsh with them. Their ultimate abode is hell, a hapless journey's end. - 9:73
Allah has purchased of their faithful lives and worldly goods, and in return has promised them the Garden. They will fight for His cause, kill and be killed. - 9:111
Fight unbelievers who are near to you. 9:123 (different translation:
Believers! Make war on the infidels who dwell around you. Let them find harshness in you. (another source: ) Ye who believe! Murder those of the disbelievers....
As for those who are slain in the cause of Allah, He will not allow their works to perish. He will vouchsafe them guidance and ennoble their state; He will admit them to the Paradise He has made known to them. - 10:4-15
Allah has cursed the unbelievers and proposed for them a blazing hell. - 33:60
Unbelievers are enemies of Allah and they will roast in hell. - 41:14
When you meet the unbelievers, smite their necks, then when you have made wide slaughter among them, tie fast the bonds, then set them free, either by grace or ransom, until the war lays down its burdens. - 47:4
(different translation: ) When you meet the unbelievers in the battlefield, strike off their heads, and when you have laid them low, bind your captives firmly.
Those who are slain in the way of Allah - he will never let their deeds be lost. Soon will he guide them and improve their condition, and admit them to the Garden, which he has announced for them. - 47:5
Muslims are harsh against the unbelievers, merciful to one another. - 48:25
Muhammad is Allah's apostle. Those who follow him are ruthless to the unbelievers but merciful to one another. Through them, Allah seeks to enrage the unbelievers. - 48:29
Prophet! Make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites and deal sternly with them. Hell shall be their home, evil their fate. - 66:9
The unbelievers among the People of the Book and the pagans shall burn forever in the fire of hell. They are the vilest of all creatures. - 98:51
Fight them so that Allah may punish them at your hands, and put them to shame. (verse cited in Newsweek 2/11/02)
-------

KORAN promises of houris in heaven:

Single-minded slaves of Allah... will be honored in the Gardens of delight, on couches facing one another; A cup from a gushing spring is brought round for them, white, delicious to the drinkers, wherein there is no headache nor are they made mad thereby. And with them are those of modest gaze, with lovely eyes, pure as they were hidden eggs. - Surah 37:40-49
Lo, for those who ward off evil is a happy journey's end, Gardens of Eden, whereof the gates are opened for the, wherein, reclining, they call for plenteous fruit and cool drink therein. And with them are those of modest gaze, companions. This it is that ye are promised for the Day of Reckoning. - 38:50-54
Lo! Those who kept their duty will be in a place secure, amid gardens and water-springs, attired in silk and silk embroidery, facing one another.... And we shall wed them unto fair ones with wide, lovely eyes. They call therein for every fruit in safety. They taste not death therein, save the first death. And He hath saved them from the doom of hell, a bounty from thy Lord. That is the supreme triumph. - 44:51-57
Lo! Those who kept their duty dwell in gardens and delight... reclining on ranged couches. And we wed them unto fair ones with wide, lovely eyes... and we provide them with fruit and meat such as they desire.... - 52:17-22
...Reclining upon couches lined with silk brocade, the fruit of both the gardens near to hand.... Therein are those of modest gaze, whom neither man nor jinni will have touched before them.... - 55:54-56
Those are they who will be brought nigh, in gardens of delight... reclining therein face to face. There wait on them immortal youths... and fair ones with wide, lovely eyes, like unto hidden pearls, reward for what they used to do.... Lo! We have created them a creation, and made them virgins, lovers, friends. - 56:11-37
(Different translation) Companions with beautiful, big and lustrous eyes... virgin-pure and undefiled.
--------
Koran "sharia" punishments:

As for the man who steals and the woman who steals, cut off their hands as punishment for what they have earned, an exemplary punishment from Allah. - Surah 5:38

well, i have quite a few muslim friends, have visited a few muslim states and have never once had my head cut off.

im sure we could have a mighty thread if we went through religious text present all the loony, outdated quotes.

but i'll just post this one:

http://homophobelol.ytmnd.com/

Topic reminder:
Christianity Spreading in Iran via Multimedia

If you want to discuss anything else than that then please start a new thread.

Thanks

Braving the death penalty by converting to christianity is a show of defiance and is a brave act......

Change the words "converting to Christianity" to "becoming a suicide Bomber" and your post would read like it was Posted by a Muslim at War with the United States of America.

The Christian Post, in April. SAT-7 has a viewer reach of eight to 10 million in the Middle East and north Africa.

I see where SAT-7 has a viewer reach of a [mere] 8 to 10 million in the Middle East and North Africa, however it does not state how many actually watch it.
Likewise, as for the Internet, I'm sure someone can lend De Groot a few bucks and he can buy a program which tracks Internet Website Hits, so he can place that number in his next Fund Drive Letter.... or blog.

If the Iranian Muslims were serious about changing Iran and reshaping it into a "Christian" nation, then the Iranian Muslims would start picking up Weapons and killing all non-Christians in Iran who stand in their way. I believe a few Million under Arms could turn the tide..... no, wait a minute, scratch that, what was I thinking..... if the Iranian Muslims were serious about becoming Christians, good Christians, well, they would obey the Government of Iran, turn the other cheek, and if it comes, welcome death as merely a new beginning.

Back