Chirac jokes about British food

"After Finland, it is the country with the worst food."

OH MY GOD! How can a human being say such things about another's food. I am shocked and apauled! I never knew such filth could ever spill forth from one's mouth! My god I must pray to thee to absolve myself, because hearing such words is in and of itself a great moral sin.

Jesus Christ, are journalists so worthless that they don't even have a sense of humor? Answer: Yes, yes they are that worthless.

MontyB said:
I dont know whats worse that this "argument" made new headlines or that European politicians have so little to do at their meetings that British food becomes an issue.

:lol:

I cannot comment this, because of some forum rules that outlaw countrybashing. And it wouldnt be the UK, I'd talk about.

i dont see why Putin is laughing at it. Ive had Russian food and, well, i cant say it was too good. Shroeder on the other hand, may laugh his @$$ off because bratwurst rules!!

Oh and Italian Guy, the rules say no country bashing. However, theres nothing about food bashing.

From the way I see it, you can say...
"(insert country)'s food is bad
but you cannot say...
"(insert country) is bad because their food sucks."
See the difference?

behemoth79 said:
i dont see why Putin is laughing at it. Ive had Russian food and, well, i cant say it was too good. Shroeder on the other hand, may laugh his @$$ off because bratwurst rules!!

Oh and Italian Guy, the rules say no country bashing. However, theres nothing about food bashing.

From the way I see it, you can say...
"(insert country)'s food is bad
but you cannot say...
"(insert country) is bad because their food sucks."
See the difference?

Mmmmh I think I got it, Behemot... :rambo:

French food sucks -

Feel better now... :D

The headline may make it sound comical, but the actual comments (concerning civilization, trust, agriculture) are actually very insulting, and not designed to generate or restore any sort of good will. I am willing to cut folks like this a lot of slack because, as I've said before about the liberal joy at "Bush-isms," if any one of us or any other person had every single comment and slip of the tongue recorded (like these men do), we could all be made out as morons, jackasses, or anything else those who wish us ill want to twist those slips into being.

I'd also like to mention that a couple of the previous posters have been rather quick in the past to jump on the "-ism" wagon, guess there's a different standard for non-U.S. world leaders. ;)

in all seriousness the english and the french have had this relationship for centuries. it's playful kidding around at a state level.

the UK is my favourite country (right there after my own country..!!) but really guys the food ain't exactly the yummiest...!!

British Cuisine is not as refined as say French or Italian. And I would avoid things like Haggis, I do like a good fish and chip or bangers and mash.

Chirac's comments (although with some shards of truth) were pretty tactless. Anyway he'll be gone in 2007.

Well firstly Haggis is scottish :p And its not 2 bad, if you dont know what your eating! British food is more than take aways though, you have tradition york pudding and sunday roast which is yum. Maybe Chirac just hasnt met a good british cook yet, he can come to my mates house his mom makes the best sunday dinner mmm :)

Yes but the post was 'British' Food, Scotland is part of Great Britan. I had something very similar in Paris (sheep guts) I can only guess if I didnt like the French Version I would like the British Version either.

Point Taken about Yorkshire pudding and roast (although roast isnt really indiginous to the UK).

Chirac has obviously never had shortbread. Take all other "British" staples away and leave me that and it would still kickass over anything from France. That isn't to say by any means that there aren't fine foods from France. We Scots just know a good thing when we have it.

Back