Chirac jokes about British food - Page 2

--
Boots

July 6th, 2005  
Redneck

The headline may make it sound comical, but the actual comments (concerning civilization, trust, agriculture) are actually very insulting, and not designed to generate or restore any sort of good will. I am willing to cut folks like this a lot of slack because, as I've said before about the liberal joy at "Bush-isms," if any one of us or any other person had every single comment and slip of the tongue recorded (like these men do), we could all be made out as morons, jackasses, or anything else those who wish us ill want to twist those slips into being.

I'd also like to mention that a couple of the previous posters have been rather quick in the past to jump on the "-ism" wagon, guess there's a different standard for non-U.S. world leaders.
July 6th, 2005  
chewie_nz

in all seriousness the english and the french have had this relationship for centuries. it's playful kidding around at a state level.
July 7th, 2005  
Italian Guy

Not really, though: more than one British spokesperson reported offended reaction of London.
--
Boots
August 8th, 2005  
clownfish

the UK is my favourite country (right there after my own country..!!) but really guys the food ain't exactly the yummiest...!!
August 8th, 2005  
Shadowalker

WHAT!! you cant beat a roast dinner!
August 9th, 2005  
clownfish

yeah...i DO like like that i do..[/img]
August 9th, 2005  
mmarsh

British Cuisine is not as refined as say French or Italian. And I would avoid things like Haggis, I do like a good fish and chip or bangers and mash.

Chirac's comments (although with some shards of truth) were pretty tactless. Anyway he'll be gone in 2007.
August 9th, 2005  
Irishone

Well firstly Haggis is scottish :P And its not 2 bad, if you dont know what your eating! British food is more than take aways though, you have tradition york pudding and sunday roast which is yum. Maybe Chirac just hasnt met a good british cook yet, he can come to my mates house his mom makes the best sunday dinner mmm
August 9th, 2005  
mmarsh

Yes but the post was 'British' Food, Scotland is part of Great Britan. I had something very similar in Paris (sheep guts) I can only guess if I didnt like the French Version I would like the British Version either.

Point Taken about Yorkshire pudding and roast (although roast isnt really indiginous to the UK).
August 9th, 2005  
Charge 7

Chirac has obviously never had shortbread. Take all other "British" staples away and leave me that and it would still kickass over anything from France. That isn't to say by any means that there aren't fine foods from France. We Scots just know a good thing when we have it.