Chinese textbooks omit more history than Japanese text!

Red_Army

Recently there are a lot of anti-Japanese sentiment over a Japanese textbook that omits wartime atrocities. Even though I disapprove Japan's move on this issue. I must say that the Chinese texts omit more history than Japanese texts.

Here are some of the things that are missing..

The 1989 crackdown on democracy demonstrations, when Chinese troops killed hundreds and possibly thousands of unarmed protesters.

The estimated 30 million Chinese who starved to death during the 1958-61 "Great Leap Forward," revolutionary leader Mao Zedong's attempt to speed up China's farm and factory output through mass collectivization.

Textbooks gloss over ally North Korea's invasion of South Korea at the start of the 1950-53 Korean War, a conflict that drew in troops from the United States and other countries on the side of the South and China's army in support of the North.

The texts say only that "civil war broke out," without mentioning how it started. America is portrayed as an invader that forced Beijing to intervene by threatening Chinese territory.

There is more...
http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/04/13/china.japan.ap/index.html

what you gonna do, can't say that other countries haven't done the same. In the us, the books admit to the bad times like japanese internment and how it was ignorant to do so, but then softened the decisions with the feelings of the time. You get a sense of the book trying to make america sound pretty good, just not blameless for the past. I think it has to do with the sophistication level of the readers like middle schoolers and highschoolers. If it was an in depth college course, then it would be different. I know that my current text on american government reveals a lot of things i never knew about our functioning government. But that's for AP classes, i don't know about the regular, i guess it's dumbed down somewhat.

but leaving out the mass famine, that's retarded.

Hmmm...

Red_Army... Japan's WWII atrocities has no connection with China's crack down on Tien'an Men square. China's bad policies towards its own people need to be dealt with in other movement. It should not be used to judge anger's arised from Japan's refusal of admitting its wrong doings.

Are you suggesting Japan need not to apologize for its wrong doings in WWII because China's bad policy towards its people in the 60s, 70s, and 1989?

A lie can also be an act of omission but a lie is a lie any way you cut it. I personally can't stand liars and thieves.

one is civil and other is war crimes

its completely on two different grounds

off course everybody knew about the cultural revolution, its the major issue and conflict in china today

no need to put it in the text books, everybody knew about 89, and that hundreds of people died. there is no disortions in that, unless some western guy claims thousands killed, which is unjustified

deaths due to mao's 5 year forward, well everybody knew people starved during that time, no need to hide it

MadeInChina said:
no need to put it in the text books, everybody knew about 89, and that hundreds of people died. there is no disortions in that, unless some western guy claims thousands killed, which is unjustified

deaths due to mao's 5 year forward, well everybody knew people starved during that time, no need to hide it

The problem with what you are saying about "Western Sources" is that the disputing sources are not Western at all. The disagreeing sources are things like the Chinese Red Cross and the Students themselves.

Wikipedia is a very nonbiased source of information. They don't take sides and as you can see, they are not taking sides. Just reporting all potentially reliable accounts and letting the reader sort it out for themselves. It would seem unlikely for the PRC's sanitized account to be 100% reliable as a source.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiananmen_Square_protests_of_1989
Wikipedia said:
On May 4, approximately 100,000 students and workers peacefully marched in Beijing demanding democratic reforms and protesting government corruption. On May 20 the government declared martial law. However, the demonstrations continued. After deliberation among Communist party leaders, the government ordered a forceful military resolution. Troops and tanks from China's 27th Army advanced into Tiananmen Square. On June 3 and 4, the People's Liberation Army violently confronted the pro-democracy supporters. Estimates of civilian deaths vary: 400-800 (New York Times & Hammond sources (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat7.htm#Chinat)), 2600 (Chinese Red Cross) and the Students maintain that over 7000 were killed. Injuries are generally held to have numbered from 7,000 to 10,000, including casualties among PLA troops. Following the violence, the government conducted widespread arrests to suppress the remaining supporters of the movement, limited access for the foreign press and controlled coverage of the events in the Chinese press. The violent suppression of the Tiananmen Square protest caused widespread international condemnation of the Chinese government.
Go to the link for the complete article.

Didn't you hear Red Army? The 1989 demonstrations "never really happened" and the pictures of the demonstration were "doctored up by protestors elsewhere" and that nowhere can you find any evidence of students getting killed. :roll:

but you seem to be ignoring the death of soldiers, radical student leaders and their great escapes and how they betrayed their followers, the riots that occured, destruction of vehicles, taiwan/hk elements that finianced this and supported this to a point where the students were partically brainwashed

to look at this, you need to have both persepctive

400 students for the great developemtn and economy today, id say its worth it, so we ddont change so radically that we might be the next russia

MadeInChina said:
but you seem to be ignoring the death of soldiers, radical student leaders and their great escapes and how they betrayed their followers, the riots that occured, destruction of vehicles, taiwan/hk elements that finianced this and supported this to a point where the students were partically brainwashed
(Directly from the portion of the article that I quoted already.)
Wikipedia said:
Injuries are generally held to have numbered from 7,000 to 10,000, including casualties among PLA troops.
Actually, the article did include the fact that some of those killed and injured were PLA troops. As I said, Wikipedia is pretty neutral and just lays out the facts and sources and lets the reader sort it out for themselves.

You'll have to establish a lot better case if you're going to make the statement that the protesters were brainwashed. What they were protesting in favor of was not so terribly radical. It started out peacefully too. What the PRC leaders had never even dreamed of happening was precisely what happened at Tianamen Square: A protest against the Communist regime and in favor of Democracy and Economic Reforms. Believe it or not, these are things that China really needed. The PLA was completely unprepared in terms of equipment. No rubber bullets, no riot gear, no tear gas. These were things that the PRC's government had never imagined would ever be needed, or so I assume. So how do you put down a riot or protest when all your gear is lethal and intended to kill? Well, you end up killing a bunch of people. The PRC ought to have had better foresight.

The reason that the events surrounding Tianamen Square remain controversial: The accounts by Chinese sources that are not under Communist Party control do not match with the official PRC account, especially in terms of numbers. Not by a long shot, it so happens. That means that until the PRC version and the Chinese Red Cross version, the Protesters' version and all other eyewitness accounts match a bit better ... the World will assume that the PRC is not being completely honest about it.

Herein lies the problem with a State Controlled Media: People will assume you will lie about many things simply because you can.

lol i meant most western articles, wilkopedia might be an exception

brainwash, sry agian for using a more significant word, i meant sterotyped

its very common for a government to try to cover up its negative points in history to its youth. The US history books say very little about the attitude of the people towards the internment camps, as stated before. The college books probably cover that material. Its a form of propaganda; its to make sure the kids grow up patriotic. Manzanar would not help that cause. To some Russians, Stalin is a non-person; he never existed.

Red_Army said:
Recently there are a lot of anti-Japanese sentiment over a Japanese textbook that omits wartime atrocities. Even though I disapprove Japan's move on this issue. I must say that the Chinese texts omit more history than Japanese texts.

Here are some of the things that are missing..

The 1989 crackdown on democracy demonstrations, when Chinese troops killed hundreds and possibly thousands of unarmed protesters.

The estimated 30 million Chinese who starved to death during the 1958-61 "Great Leap Forward," revolutionary leader Mao Zedong's attempt to speed up China's farm and factory output through mass collectivization.

Textbooks gloss over ally North Korea's invasion of South Korea at the start of the 1950-53 Korean War, a conflict that drew in troops from the United States and other countries on the side of the South and China's army in support of the North.

The texts say only that "civil war broke out," without mentioning how it started. America is portrayed as an invader that forced Beijing to intervene by threatening Chinese territory.

There is more...
http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/04/13/china.japan.ap/index.html

U just judge a single thing by it's surface and u think u are really wide opinion about the Backgroun history. U should read more about the Japanese atrocities to the Asia countries in WW II. Do u know not only China were having those torture but so do the societies (especially Chinese) in South East Asia?

1989 Tian' an men incident is a disaster. Yes, but this kind of recent history normally will not be put in to textbooks. Is too new. I can even tell u even in Malaysia, the Malay government oso try to cover up the real reason of the happening of Racial Conflict in 1969. And they try to cover up the effort of local Chinese society to the Malaysian economic developement.

Believe me, even USA history textbooks has coverup about how the treat other people. Even the CIA now always close-one-eye about some politics issues nowadays, as long as it benefits USA itself.

Korean war is a sad story. It is definately not China that provoke North Korea to launch the attack. Many Chinese in China, also to many of the other people in other places, know that North Korea strated the invasion. And then American went in, before the coming of USA, China did not involve in the incident. And why did China involve? the Answer is simple -- To protect own land from being spied and incluenced by USA.

U want to know what did the USA soldiers did in Korea and Japan nowadays? The soldiers always causing trouble to the local citizens, and the Government cannot do anything to those soldiers because the have America government to support them behind. I ahve a Korean friend who live in the student hostel and he told me this, do American know about those soldiers things?

Indian and Vietnam invasion is well explained. Indian and Vietnam were having territorial conflict with China at that time. I do not know who started provocation, but China was the invade first. And u should take more notice about the China soldiers' treatment to those hostages from Indian and Vietnamese after the invasion, they treat them well, they did not kill them, and they repair the military eqiupment for them, and they sent them back home in peace. U want to know how Japanese soldier treat the hostages? go check urself and I lazy to explain to u.

Japanese killed more than 30 Millions ppl in super brutal and cruelway. In this it involve rape, poison testing, massacre, torture, scientific experiment for biochemical weapon. Civil destruction causes 600 Billion US dollers to China ONLY.

enuff, u r just ignorant.

The enormity of the lie involved in Japan's military attrocities is probably greater than anything that China has not been willing to admit to. I have yet to hear any number consistently for the overall number of Chinese that were killed. In the neighborhood of 20 million. While the Cultural Revolution and Great Leap forward probably outdo that total numerically, China does not insistently deny that these two projects of Mao Zedong's needlessly killed a lot of people. The Chinese government isn't denying that at all.

The Rape of Nanking and the organized sexual enslavement of over 200,000 women (Comfort Women) are a couple exampes of things that the Japanese Government and history books are saying never actually happened. They are extremely well documented events and both directly ordered and organized by the Japanese government and military at the highest levels.

In the case of the Japanese Internment Camps during WW2, the USA may feel ashamed of it and they may not bother mentioning it in a History book. But every single copentent history teacher I ever had brought it up anyways. The fact is, if an American knows history reasonably well, they know for a fact that those Camps existed. They know for a fact many of the shameful details about the US treatment of Native Americans. In fact, I would say that American History focusses heavily on mistreatment of Native Americans. American children are not told that other nations and peoples are lying to them and making up false stories. Japan has been doing exactly that though. That is very wrong.

dude, its around 40 million of chinese killed, included were oversea chinese

what the japs done is intentional

the cultural rev and great leap forward was an accident, was something meant to be helpful but backfired, you shouldnt blame mao for trying, he is not a genocidital idiot who would kill his own people for fun

MadeInChina said:
dude, its around 40 million of chinese killed, included were oversea chinese

what the japs done is intentional

the cultural rev and great leap forward was an accident, was something meant to be helpful but backfired, you shouldnt blame mao for trying, he is not a genocidital idiot who would kill his own people for fun

Even though the Cultural Revolution and the Great Leap Forward was an accident, I still think China should include them in their textbooks so people 50 or 100 years will know about it.

Back