Chinese PLA Army Drilling Pictures

I don't know if it is so difficult to make a twin-engined J-10.

Chinese JH-7 (FBC-1) Fighter-Bomber Aircraft is twin-engined:

jh7_2.jpg

jh7_1.jpg

So Frog, (or anyone else too) what are your favorites in Chinese gear? Favorite fighter? Favorite tank/armored vehicle? Favorite handheld weapon?

Nice J10 pics asian!

NAME:
PLA Designation: J-10
Westernised Name: F-10

MANUFACTURER:
Chengdu Aircraft Industry Co. (CAC)

TYPE:
Single-engine, single-seater multirole fighter capable for interception, air superiority, and ground attack missions.

PROGRAMME
The Chengdu (CAC) J-10 fighter, China's fourth generation multi-role fighter aircraft, will be the
most advanced fighter in the PLAAF's inventory once introduced to service. The J-10
programme (Project No.10) has been under way for over a decade. Six prototypes have been
built by 2001 and these aircraft are reported being undertaking extensive test flights at CAC's
test site.

The J-10 programme can trace its origins back to the J-9, a Mach 2.5 canard-delta fighter,
which is a blend mixture of MiG-23 and Saab JA-37 Viggen. The J-9 project was transferred
from Shenyang to Chengdu in 1969 and was later cancelled due to insufficient funds.

Work on the J-10 began in the 1980s as a counter to the Soviet Union’s fourth-generation
fighters, the MiG-29 and Su-27. The original mission was air superiority, but the break-up of the
Soviet Union and changing requirements shifted development towards a multirole fighter to
replace the Shenyang J-6 (MiG-19) and Chengdu J-7 (MiG-21), which are backbone of
China’s air force.

Originally based on the cancelled Israel Avation Industry (IAI) 'Lavi' lightweight fighter, the
J-10's development has experienced some major re-design work due to the changes of
requirements. Some estimates project that the as many as 300 aircraft will be produced for the
Chinese air force, although reports suggest as few as 30 aircraft will have been built by 2005 - a
drop in the ocean of J-6s and J-7s in the PLAAF's inventory waiting to be replaced.

DESIGN FEATURES

The J-10 has a rectangle belly air intake, with low-mounted delta wings, a pair of front canard
wings, a large vertical fin, and two underfuselage fins. The design is aerodynamically unstable, to
provide a high level of agility, low drag and enhanced lift. The pilot controls the aircraft through a
computerised digital fly-by-wire system, which provides artificial stabilisation and gust elevation
to give good control characteristics throughout the flight envelope.

COCKPIT: The J-10's cockpit is fitted with three flat-panel liquid crystal multifunction displays
(MFDs), including one colour MFD, wide field-of-view head-up display (HUD), and possibly
helmet-mounted sight (HMS). It is not know whether the HMS is the basic Ukrainian Arsenel
HMS copied by China's Luoyang Avionics, or a new helmet display featured briefly at the 2000
Zhuhai air show.

The pilot manipulates the J-10 by the 'Iron Bird' flight-control system, a quadruple (four
channels) digital fly-by-wire (FBW) based on the active control technology tested by the
Shenyang J-8IIACT demonstrator aircraft. The pilot will also be aided by advanced autopilot
and air data computer.

RADAR: Several options are available for the J-10 fighter. These include the Russian
Phazotron Zhuk-10PD, a version of the system in later Su-27s, with 160 km search range and
ability to track up to six targets. Israel has offered its Elta EL/M-2035 radar for competition. In
addition, China has also developed its own design JL-10A, which might be assisted by Russian
technology.

For low-level navigation and precision strike, a forward-looking infrared and laser designation
pod is likely to be carried F-16-style on an inlet stores station. A Chinese designed pod similar
to the Israeli Rafael Litening was revealed at the 1998 Zhuhai air show.

ENGINE: The single-seat, single-engine J-10 is similar in size to the Lockheed Martin
F-16C/D. The initial batch J-10s are going to be powered by 27,500 lb-thrust (120 kN)
Russian Lyulka Saturn AL-31F turbofan, the same power plant also being used by Chinese air
force Sukhoi Su-27s and Su-30s. Some report indicated that 100 AL-31F engines with features
specially designed for the J-10 have already been delivered to China in early 2001.

China is also developing its own WS-10 turbofan power plant, and it could be fitted on the later
versions of the J-10. According to the U.S. intelligence, the J-10 might be slightly more
manoeuvrable than the F-18E/F, which is slated to become the U.S. Navy's next principal
combat aircraft.

ARMARMENTS: The J-10 has 11 stores stations - six under the wing and five under the
fuselage. The inner wing and centre fuselage stations are plumped to carry external fuel tanks.
Fixed weapon is a 23-mm inner cannon hidden inside fuselage.

In addition to the PL-8 short-range infrared-guided air-to-air missile, which was derived from
Israeli Rafael Python-3 technology, the J-10 could also carry Russian Vympel R-73 (AA-11)
short-range and R-77 (AA-12) medium-range missiles carried by Chinese Flankers. It may also
be fitted with indigenously developed PL-11 or PL-12 medium-range AAM for BVR combat.

For ground attack missions, the J-10 will carry laser-guided bombs, YJ-8K anti-ship missile, as
well as various unguided bombs and rockets. Some missiles surrently under development such as
the YJ-9 ramjet-powered anti-radiation missile may also be carried by the J-10.

UPGRADE: An all-aspect vectored-thrust version of the AL-31F was revealed for the first
time at Zhuhai Air Show 1998, leading to speculation that this advanced engine may wind up on
the J-10, potentially conferring phenomenal manoeuvrability. It also projects that a naval variant
of the J-10, perhaps with twin-engines, may equip a possible Chinese aircraft carrier. China
might also be considering upgrading the J-10 with more advanced phased-array radar to
improve its combat capabilities.

SPECIFICATIONS
Crew: One
Dimentions: N/A
Weight: N/A
Powerplant: One Lyulka Saturn AL-31F turbofan, rated at 17,857 lb (79.43 kN) dry and
27,557 lb st (122.58 kN) with afterburning
Maximum Speed: Mach 1.2 (sea-level) or Mach 2.0 (high altitude)
Range: Combat radius over 550 km Service
Ceiling: 18000 m
Maximum Climb Rate: N/A
G Limit: -3/+9 G
Avionics: One PD radar (Russian Phazotron Zhuk-10 or Israeli EL/M-2035), with a
detect-range 52.5~148 km, being able to track up to 8 targets simultaneously
Fixed Weapon: One 23 mm internal cannon
Stores Stations: 11, six under the wing and five under the fuselage, up to 4,500 kg
Air-to-Air Missiles: PL-8, PL-9, Python-4, R-73, R-77
Ground Attack Weapons: Laser-guided bomb, YJ-81 (C-801) anti-ship missile

Type: Chendgu J-10
Function: Fighter
Year: 2003
Crew: 1
Engines: 1 * Lyulka Saturn AL-31F turbofan, rated at 79.43 kN dry and 122.58 kN with afterburning
Wing Span: 8.78 m
Wing area: 33.1 m2
Canard area: 5.45 m2
Length: 14.57 m
Height: 4.78 m
Ceiling: 18000 m Empty Weight: 9750 kg
Max.Weight: 18500 kg
Speed: Mach 2.0
Range: 3200 km (combat radius)
Armament: 1 * g 23 mm, 4500 kg payload on 11 hardpoints

Refernce.... ---> http://home.iae.nl/users/wbergmns/info/j10.htm

Seems rather lacking in the payload capacity but other than that it looks rather solid.
Is anyone here an expert in aircraft? I lost interest in it many years ago so I'm not all up to date on everything.

The J10 looks very utilitarian, pretty cool, but I still say the SU (37?) takes the cigar here. The way the cockpit shapes over the plane is just beautiful.

I wonder if anybody has more info on the new bullpup China has? QBZ Type 98? I've already read the stuff at Sinodefence.

Seems like a decent rifle but suffers the problem that most bullpups have.
Only the Israeli Tavor seems to have fixed the typical Bullpup problem of hand switching.

Yeah it looks like China has built one hell of a fighter jet...

" the J-10 might be slightly more manoeuvrable than the F-18E/F"

Thats pretty good for China to hear.

AsianAmerican said:
" the J-10 might be slightly more manoeuvrable than the F-18E/F"

That's not really much to brag about. A turbocharged P-51 Mustang will out climb and shoot down an F/A-18 hornet if both start off the run way at the same time. The F/A-18 is the benchmark kill for any fighter jet nowadays. Basically, if you can’t kill it, then you have no business with an air force.

hey FF and asianguy, do you know anything about the chinese cooperation with "Augosta" I remember FF showed us a pic of a chinese chopper that looked just like the Augosta A129...Any news on that?

AsianAmerican thanks for the picture :D

SHERMAN:
I don't think there is a direct cooperation btw China and Italy about the Chinese new attack chopper WZ10.

Some people claim that WZ-10 looks like Agusta but no comfirmation yet.
WZ-10 is still ongoing, don't know when it will show up.

But last week some interesting news showed up in Chinese sites that China refused to receive the Russian kindness to supply Mi-28 production line, if this is true, then it should mean WZ-10 is good and will be coming out soon.

In China I have gone through some PLA training and I must tell you that the experience is amazing. Thanks to FlyingFrog and Asian American for portraying the PLA in a decent light. In the West and elsewhere I find a lot of assumed stereotypes bout different countries' armies. I have already seen many references to "China's Propaganda" or "fake...." etc. I am here to tell you that this is all wrong. America's Army is a great organization and I know that many of you in this forum respect it and its soldiers for its honor, integrity and bravery. The PLA is the exact same. And as FF and AsianAmerican has shown us all, the PLA is a honorable organization capable of great things. The intense Communism and propaganda with Mao's Little Red Book is all behind us now. As Chinese, we are proud of our heritage and our armed forces, and it hurts to see so much hate and distrust towards our armies. China is moving foward now and is becoming a much more democratic nation. In truth...the PLA is molding China into this more democratic place.

zhangminxuan said:
In truth...the PLA is molding China into this more democratic place.

How does the PLA mold China into a more democratic nation? How does any standing Army mold a country into a freer nation? This is impossible; soldiers are machines that serve the state. This is the way it has always been and this is the way it will always be. In some countries, take for instance the PRK, the Army is held in higher regard that it’s citizenry that it is supposed to protect! The U.S. Army cannot mold Iraq into a democratic form of govenment. Only the Iraq people can do that!

Soldiers of a free nation can only defend its peoples from outside attack. Law enforcement by government troops is tyranny. Is the PLA going to bring “democracy” to Taiwan - an already developed nation in its own right?

Back