Chinese Olympics

perseus

I was very impressed with the opening ceremony but still had to laugh at this!

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport...urvive-olympics,-pledges-china--200808081157/

MOST ATHLETES LIKELY TO SURVIVE OLYMPICS, PLEDGES CHINA
beijing2.jpg
Beijing early today​

LESS than 50% of the athletes competing in this year's Olympic games will be killed by airborne poisons, the Chinese government said last night.
Amid fears the pollution was so thick that no-one would be able to see where they were going, the organisers have given runners a headlamp and a horn to prevent them from bumping into each other.

But the Chinese authorities admitted there will be 'many, many casualties' amongst both competitors and spectators in the shooting, archery and javelin competitions.

Olympic president Jacques Rogge said: "I am assured the pollution levels will only affect those engaged in vigorous physical activity."

He added: "It is right that we celebrate the great Olympic traditions of freedom, co-operation and physical excellence in the midst of a murderous dictatorship where no-one can breathe."

Observers say the pollution levels may lead to a scarcity of new world records with the Marathon competitors being given permission to break their 26-mile journey with an overnight stop.

Meanwhile world leaders have gathered for what is tipped to be a vast and terrifying opening ceremony during which China is expected to arrest everyone in the stadium before launching a full-scale invasion of the moon.

Tom Logan, a trainee solicitor from Luton, said: "When's the 100m final?"

I'm speechless.......

I missed the opening ceremonies. Football was on the other channel. :)

Sorry not with you guys.

Are you saying this is not in the form of a joke, in bad taste, or is completely humourless? There could be a cultural difference here since I thought it was very funny.

had to laugh that the president (Bush) didn't stand up for some countries where he is president... did he know? I think he compared the small flag with the ones coming out on the stadion ;)

On second thoughts perhaps you have to read the related news beforehand to appreciate the humour!

The head of the International Olympic Committee, Jacques Rogge, has praised Beijing's "extraordinary" efforts to cut pollution ahead of the Games. He said there would be no danger to the health of athletes, despite continuing concerns about pollution levels.

Speaking in the Thai capital, Bangkok, before travelling to the Games, Mr Bush praised China's economy but said only respect for human rights would let it realise its full potential. China rejected Mr Bush's criticisms as "interference" in its internal affairs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7546872.stm

Back