Chinese missile Bags US satellite in Orbit

Duty Honor Country

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- China last week successfully used a missile to destroy an orbiting satellite, U.S. government officials told CNN on Thursday, in a test that could undermine relations with the West and pose a threat to satellites important to the U.S. military.

According to a spokesman for the National Security Council, the ground-based, medium-range ballistic missile knocked an old Chinese weather satellite from its orbit about 537 miles above Earth. The missile carried a "kill vehicle" and destroyed the satellite by ramming it.

viation Week and Space Technology first reported the test: "Details emerging from space sources indicate that the Chinese Feng Yun 1C (FY-1C) polar orbit weather satellite launched in 1999 was attacked by an asat (anti-satellite) system launched from or near the Xichang Space Center."

A U.S. official, who would not agree to be identified, said the event was the first successful test of the missile after three failures.

The official said that U.S. "space tracking sensors" confirmed that the satellite is no longer in orbit and that the collision produced "hundreds of pieces of debris," that also are being tracked.

The United States logged a formal diplomatic protest.
"We are aware of it and we are concerned, and we made it known," said White House spokesman Tony Snow.

Several U.S. allies, including Canada and Australia, have also registered protests, and the Japanese government said it was worrisome.

"Naturally, we are concerned about it from the viewpoint of security as well as peaceful use of space," said Yashuhisa Shiozaki, chief cabinet secretary. He said Japan has asked the Chinese government for an explanation.

The United States has been able to bring down satellites with missiles since the mid-1980s, according to a history of ASAT programs posted on the Union of Concerned Scientists Web site. In its own test, the U.S. military knocked a satellite out of orbit in 1985.

Under a space policy authorized by President Bush in August, the United States asserts a right to "freedom of action in space" and says it will "deter others from either impeding those rights or developing capabilities intended to do so."

The policy includes the right to "deny, if necessary, adversaries the use of space capabilities hostile to U.S. national interests."

Low Earth-orbit satellites have become indispensable for U.S. military communications, GPS navigation for smart bombs and troops, and for real-time surveillance. The Chinese test highlights the satellites' vulnerability.

"If we, for instance, got into a conflict over Taiwan, one of the first things they'd probably do would be to shoot down all of our lower Earth-orbit spy satellites, putting out our eyes," said John Pike of globalsecurity.org, a Web site that compiles information on worldwide security issues.

"The thing that is surprising and disturbing is that [the Chinese] have chosen this moment to demonstrate a military capability that can only be aimed at the United States," he said.

"The thing that is surprising and disturbing is that [the Chinese] have chosen this moment to demonstrate a military capability that can only be aimed at the United States," he said.

Words out of my own mouth... now Doody, c'mon, what happened to truth in advertising... they bagged their own satelite. ;)

I can't say that the news thrills me greatly.

But we've got to realise that China is a fast developing country and although we may not always agree with their policies, they are going to attempt to catch up with the rest of the word. We're going to see a lot more of this type of thing in the future so we may as well get used to it.

China has at last woken up that they are an asset rich country, and that asset is cheap labour. They are using this to become a world power.

This push to advance their military is only exacerbated when they see other countries around the world using their military might to shape the world to suit their needs.

Just put yourself in their position.

It ain't nice, but I'm afraid that it is a fact of life.

Thank you President Bill Clinton for selling the Chi-Coms our national secerts.

Thank you President Bill Clinton for selling the Chi-Coms our tech from NASA.

Thank you President Bill Clinton for selling the Chi-Coms our GPS tech.

Thank you President Bill Clinton for selling the Chi-Coms our freedom and secuirty to a bunch of rotten Chi-Com that wish to wipe out the USA.

Thank you President Bill Clinton for selling the Chi-Coms our national secerts.

Thank you President Bill Clinton for selling the Chi-Coms our tech from NASA.

Thank you President Bill Clinton for selling the Chi-Coms our GPS tech.

Thank you President Bill Clinton for selling the Chi-Coms our freedom and secuirty to a bunch of rotten Chi-Com that wish to wipe out the USA.

If you have information about President Clinton committing Treason against the United States of America, I suggest you spill the beans to the proper authorities right away, as it is against United States Federal Law for you not to do so.

From the U.S. Code Online via GPO Access
[wais.access.gpo.gov]
[Laws in effect as of January 20, 2004]
[Document not affected by Public Laws enacted between
January 20, 2004 and December 23, 2004]
[CITE: 18USC2382]

TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I--CRIMES

CHAPTER 115--TREASON, SEDITION, AND SUBVERSIVE ACTIVITIES

Sec. 2382. Misprision of treason

Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States and having knowledge
of the commission of any treason against them, conceals and does not, as soon as may be, disclose and make known the same to the President or to some judge of the United States, or to the governor or to some judge or
justice of a particular State, is guilty of misprision of treason and
shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than seven years,
or both.
I'll hazard a guess and say President Bush would be interested in any such info you may have right about now.

According to the BBC, Chinese foreign office spokesman Ju Linchao commented, "China advocates the peaceful use of space and opposes the weaponisation of space, and also opposes any form of arms race."

Similarly, (according a Chinese spokesman talking to the Washington Times), the Chinese
Song-class submarine that surfaced near the USS Kitty Hawk on Oct. 27 was there by accident, and that it did not shadow the warship before making its presence known.

You see? China only wants peace.

:9mm::m16shoot::brave:

Missile

Plain and simple, China was only flexing it's muscles by blowing up an old Sat. But why? Having served in an Air Defence Battery, I know that using a £10,000 GBP missile to take out an Aircraft or helicopter worth a million or so makes good sense and gives value, to the taxpayer. So why take out an old Sat using Billion pound tech? Everyone knows Chinas capability, so nothing new learned from the Demo. Or is this a sign of things to come maybe from China?:2guns:

Low Earth-orbit satellites have become indispensable for U.S. military communications, GPS navigation for smart bombs and troops, and for real-time surveillance. The Chinese test highlights the satellites' vulnerability.

The only satellites we have that are in reach of the Chi-Coms are our spy satellites. All the others, such as our military GPS satellites, are roughly 2.5 times higher than they could reach. But this is a fine example of why they should have never retired the SR-71.

They have already demonstrated the use of a laser which blinds the keyhole sats so this test seems a bit redundant, but then again that might be the point.

The only satellites we have that are in reach of the Chi-Coms are our spy satellites. All the others, such as our military GPS satellites, are roughly 2.5 times higher than they could reach. But this is a fine example of why they should have never retired the SR-71.

Did you ever think that maybe they have been replaced? The SR-71s operated for many years before the public new of them.

the real goal

You are all missing the main point.

NASA has to track every piece of debri in space so that its vehicles up there can be steered clear of life-threatening chuncks of steel travelling at thousands of kph capable of puncturing/rupturing fuselages.

Now there are 300,000 more little pieces of steel up there thanks to those little Chinese street defecating commies.

China's aim was to ruin the day of NASA's flight programmers. There are dozens of them now walking the corridors of NASA with angry brows swearing under their breath. :p

I dunno, I'm no physicist (in fact I can hardly spell it), but I always understood that it was a very delicate manoeuver to get any item to orbit the earth for any length of time. This was achieved with a very precise combination of mass, velocity, angle of flight and altitude, and probably many other considerations that I'm not even aware of. If any one of these was incorrect, the "would be satellite" would either gradually lose altitude and burn up in the atmosphere or it would zoom off into interstellar space. Even the most precisely positioned satellites eventually either fall to earth or escape the gravitational pull and "run away from home".

Of the thousands of pieces of debris generated from this collision, how many would actually achieve the correct combination of the above factors to remain in orbit for any appreciable length of time? I do know that for example there is an over glove orbiting up there somewhere which was allegedly lost on one of the spacewalks years ago.

My thoughts were that with the violence of this collision, the pieces would have been ejected with a high velocity relative to that needed to remain in orbit, and therefore they would not remain as a hazard for any appreciable amount of time

Then again I may well have it all stuffed up, believe it or not, I was actually wrong once before;-). Does anyone know the answer?

Last edited:
seno, unless you wear a lab coat, have ten pens in the top breast pocket, and adjust your reading glasses every 3 seconds, then you are not qualified in the astro-physics of this topic and I invite you to go over to the jokes forum.

Back