Chinese Military Doctrine

you guy ought to read what gingerbread has posted on this topic, he apparently worked hard to put these sources and infos and pics to show you that the chinese army is growing and is going to be a powerful force to be reconed with soon

the russians are good suppliers, but buying from one country has its disadvanteages, so with the new lifted bans china would have a vairety of buyers to choose from, it will be like a shooping spree 8)

The chinese doctrine is fighting using your head
Whispering Death said:
I was inspired by the other China thread on the same page to ask this question but I felt it required a different thread because the other one is quite a varied and rambling one.

What is China's basic military strategy? We know that the U.S. places it's faith in air power while the Soviets believed in the power of armor and mechanized infantry. So what kind of doctrine would China use in a war? I was really surprised to learn about its lack of aircraft carriers of a strategic bomber. Surely their generals don't still believe in WW1/Korean War style human waves attacks.

ironface said:

What does that mean? How many generals in the history of the world do you think sat around and thought, "You know what my army needs? More stupidity!"

Nice post gingerbread!

Whispering Death said:
What does that mean? How many generals in the history of the world do you think sat around and thought, "You know what my army needs? More stupidity!"

Nice post gingerbread!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Classic.

ironface said:
Whispering Death said:
I was inspired by the other China thread on the same page to ask this question but I felt it required a different thread because the other one is quite a varied and rambling one.

What is China's basic military strategy? We know that the U.S. places it's faith in air power while the Soviets believed in the power of armor and mechanized infantry. So what kind of doctrine would China use in a war? I was really surprised to learn about its lack of aircraft carriers of a strategic bomber. Surely their generals don't still believe in WW1/Korean War style human waves attacks.

right let me explain this better, alot people misunderstood this statement by leading them to think only the chinese uses brain.

the philosophy of war is to use brain rather than superior men quality. is like where a gd fighter to kill tenths of men while strategy could kill millions. thoughtout the ages u would no find much "shock troops" of the chinese but rather clever in strategy, strategy as in, not to face the enermy totally directly (but flanks or encirculement etc..), through diplomacy, spies etc...., these where very advance strategies compare with any other country thoughtout the ages (excluding recently of course), not as plain as just chraging head on with heavy knights, which u see in alot of in western battles.

in fact, read about the wars of china, then u would understand why the chinese always say they concentrate on strategy rather than men quality.

u could still see it today, the chinese tend to concentrate on their missile technology, there is a chinese saying the best way to win is not to not through wars and battles (concept of not losing men).

another example is in ancient china, where a battle where the oxs were tied with dry grass by their tail, light it with fire, then the the ox chraged towards the enermy lines. u should read chinese war history, u would find it very enjoyable if u like cunning tactics. also the mongols were also very cunning too and very sucessful (with the use of ambush, and to balance their weakness with the enermy, examples are lighting 5 touchs for each man at night, making the small mongol armies look huge), as u can see its empire once did stretch from korea to the middle of germany.

Whispering Death said:
ironface said:

Nice post gingerbread!

You guys must misunderstand what a general's basic merits.
Are generals all powerful,strong man? Every general is a good fighter?
like Achilles? General is not fighter,what can make him out of others is
,he has a good brain. He can foresight the enemy's every step,
he is firm under any substances rather than strong.We can say Achilles
is a good fighter but not a good general. As far as I know,
lots of US's generals are learning <Sun Zi tactics> I dont know
how it is in english. So we can say,it is culture difference.

We can watch lots of moive like 'gladiator','troy',etc.Most of the war
movie are concentrate on heroes,who are good fightors. But our
Chinese movie mostly concentrate on some kind of brain's fighting.

That is the different.

What'??? That's impossible! General Schwarzkopf was in the front wielding his great big M-60 machine gun at the Republican Guard blasting them away like there would be no tomorrow!!!! General Patton?? ALWAYS THE POINT MAN!

The nature of generalship has changed since centuries ago. The West knows this Very well. Just how many bayonet charges did Napoleon participate in? Did he even fire a shot at the enemy himself??

principle is the same, alot generals didnt get to the rank general until he has proven himself, learn to obey before u command.

modern generals have all participate in a battle before, or fighting, doesnt nesscary to be a gd fighter, but it shows they know something about battle since they went in it.

most generals, when ranked general wouldnt participate in a battle with his men as he would when he was a private. too valueble to lose a general in battle.

Actually I think the majority of Generals have never seen anything like combat. But these guys rarely ever get to command a large combat unit. But I see your point.
Of course this is the best place to learn about leading and fighting. Here you can learn off mistakes of the predicessor, the strengths as well and see what it all looks like when the rubber meets the road.
Same goes with any army.

ironface said:
You guys must misunderstand what a general's basic merits.
Are generals all powerful,strong man? Every general is a good fighter?
like Achilles? General is not fighter,what can make him out of others is
,he has a good brain. He can foresight the enemy's every step,
he is firm under any substances rather than strong.We can say Achilles
is a good fighter but not a good general. As far as I know,
lots of US's generals are learning <Sun Zi tactics> I dont know
how it is in english. So we can say,it is culture difference.

We can watch lots of moive like 'gladiator','troy',etc.Most of the war
movie are concentrate on heroes,who are good fightors. But our
Chinese movie mostly concentrate on some kind of brain's fighting.

That is the different.

:jaw hits floor:

You just came posting into this forum with the theory that the US is just discovering Sun Tsu and that our military is designed around what you see in Hollywood films. Wow, just, wow... how old are you?

Sun Tzu's book covers most basic military principles...everybody who wants to be a good general got to know them by hearts..either from learning Sun Tzu (old generals in china) or u learn from Clausiwich, or learn in military school....

today's commanders need to know more than commanders years ago cuz modern wars are much more complicated..involved in a lot of high tech stuff..
it seems western commanders are better educated than many PLA commanders on the knowledge of information warfare..
but it is changing.more and more PLA commanders are highly educated ,not just in missile troops...

believe it, tactics and strategy is the most important parts of a battle

apart fromt the chinese example, germany was also a good example

germany's army rely on cunning strategy, proven tactics and good training, they werent as well equiped as the western nations during the beginning of the war, and they did nto have such a huge logistic capability

but they had brillant tactics, stategies such as blitzkrieg and flanking.

what proves an army is really not how great its equipment is or how capable their planes can own bunkers, thats just the equipments doing most of the work. what really owns is if ur economically weak yet u defeat thousands with a low loss

anyways, most strategists and military personell should know what i am talking about

Generals don't need to be good combat soldiers, thats what Sergeant Majors are for.

Sexybeast said:
Sun Tzu's book covers most basic military principles...everybody who wants to be a good general got to know them by hearts..either from learning Sun Tzu (old generals in china) or u learn from Clausiwich, or learn in military school....

I hate to bust you guys collective bubbles but.....Yeah I will anyway. The Art of War by Sun Tsu was placed on the Commandants Required Reading List by General Al Grey in 1986. It was and still is required reading for all US Marines Corporal and above.

Prior to that it was studied extensivly at the USMA and the USNA as well as staff colleges and SNCO courses. Old news. At least for the USMC.

yes i ahve read it once ages ago, it sure does have a effect in everyday life, Sun Tze is philosophy about war, but also the principle can be applied at work place etc......... as the goal of philosophy is try to establish a theory that applies forever, unlike science where there is not definate yes or no, and a scienctific theory is correct only at "certain times". Sun Tze proofs to be very successful as its theories have not been disproved even today.

There's nothing to be "disproved." It works. It works like when you walk, you put one foot in front of the other. It also is the big picture of things. Just because you follow it doesn't mean there won't be any set backs.

it is more like how u understand it..

a fool can read Sun Tze's work too but he won't understand its deep meaning...

a smart guy will learn more from that thousands of words

the_13th_redneck said:
There's nothing to be "disproved." It works. It works like when you walk, you put one foot in front of the other. It also is the big picture of things. Just because you follow it doesn't mean there won't be any set backs.

yes, because it cannot been disproved, its a master piece of philosophy about war.

The thing about the Art of War is that no principle in that book is complex. Everything is simple and straight forward. And that's the beauty of it.

Back