Chinese Marine embraces US Marine

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
Chinese, U.S. marines hold friendly competition ahead of joint search-and-rescue drill
font size ZoomIn ZoomOut

Forty marines from the United States and China took part in an obstacle course competition in Zhanjiang, a port city in South China's Guangdong Province, ahead of a forthcoming search-and-rescue exercise.

The competition marked the first face-to-face exchanges between two marine forces. The 40 marines were divided up into two mixed teams and were required to overcome ten obstacles on a 400-meter runway.

Marcus Annibale, the head of 20 U.S. marines, said he was most impressed by the fact that a U.S. marine and a Chinese marine ran together towards the finish line and then hugged and shook hands.

"We will remember today for ever as this is the first time that the two marines have met and trained together," Annibale said. "I have seen a brotherhood between our marines."

Chen Weidong, who headed the Chinese marines, said that the fitness and strong will of the U.S. marines were impressive.

The marines also had a shooting drill and a lunch together.

The exchanges between the two marines not only demonstrated their special military skills, but also provided a way for them to learn from each other, said Gu Wengen, commander of the South China Sea fleet of the Navy of the People's Liberation Army.

A total of 200 U.S. marines have come to China with the USS Juneau, which is paying a five-day visit to Zhanjiang. Both Chinese and the U.S. marines will participate in the second phase of the joint search-and-rescue exercise between the two navies, scheduled for Nov. 19.

The exercise will involve China's guided missile destroyer "Zhanjiang", fuel tanker "Dongting Lake", the USS Juneau and the USS missile destroyer Fitzgerald.

The first phase in September consisted of communications and passing exercises held in the waters off Hawaii.
http://english.people.com.cn/200611/17/eng20061117_322718.html

I tried very hard to get to see this in person. The reporting on the news here was very interesting. They divided the teams into half chinese and half us to avoid anyone getting embarassed. And as for the two guys shaking hands and hugging at the end I saw the footage and it was very clear the move was initiated by the Chinese and the American was clearly put off by it. The commanders comments in this article were a clear understatement. The Marine had a look on his face like "WTF are you doing?" when the guy hugged him.
:rock:

Man, good thing the Army never did **** like that when I was in. Because if I was one of those Jarheads I'd might cause WWIII. I'd more than likely smack that Chi-Com down then let him hug me.

Sorry but the People's Republic of China is my enemy.

haha thats kinda funny ur comment about it bulldogg. it is a wonder the guy didnmt deck that chinese guy.

Back