Chinese man buys fighter jet on eBay

Are you sure you published the right link? the link refers to Chinese Censorship of the Internet, I don't see anything about a fighter sale. I think you accidentally used the same link twice.

Last edited:
sorry about that, this is the story.
Chinese Internet activists challenge censorship

Citizens signing petition circulating via e-mail, overseas Web sites

BEIJING - A coalition of Chinese Web activists has launched a petition decrying censorship of the Internet and challenging the legality of government information controls on China’s more than 100 million net users.
Hundreds of citizens signed the petition along with representatives of 13 local Chinese Web sites recently closed or targeted by censors. It began circulating on Saturday via email and overseas Chinese-language Web sites unaffected by domestic censorship.
The signatories said China’s constitution grants citizens freedom of expression and publication, and those rights “should be respected and protected, and should not be subject to any unlawful restrictions and obstructions.”
Beijing rights activist Chen Yongmiao, who helped organize the petition, told Reuters on Sunday he had been prompted to act by the March closure of the Aiqinhai Web site, based in the eastern province of Zhejiang, that specialized in adventurous cultural commentary.
Zhejiang officials cited “Internet News Information Service Administrative Regulations” issued by the State Council Information Office and the Ministry of Information Industry in September claiming Aiqinhai had not sought necessary approval, the petition said.
But Chen said the petition argued that these regulations flouted China’s own constitution and a law limiting administrative application requirements.
“The State Council Information Office’s rules about who can use the Internet to disseminate news are far too restrictive,” Chen told Reuters.
“The problem is we’re supposed to enjoy freedom of expression, but rules like these mean all the channels for expression are blocked.”
China says its restrictions on the Internet are no different from those applied by other countries, and denies that citizens can be imprisoned for expressing their views on the Internet.
But U.S. Congress members, international rights groups and Internet activists say Chinese censors wield vast powers that they have used to jail citizens for expressing political views.
In a sign of growing domestic dismay about censorship, the signatories of Chen’s petition included not only liberal activists but also operators of left-wing Chinese Web sites that cite Marx and Mao to criticize inequality and injustice.
These sites include The Communist; the Worker, Peasant, Soldier Bulletin; and the Chinese Worker—all of them shut down during the 15-day national parliament session in March, according to the petition.
“The left and the right—all political expression—are silenced by these restrictions,” Chen said, “so it made sense to bring together all the different views affected.”
Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

what hell! MY bad! I kept pressing wrong button! sorry .
Chinese man buys fighter jet on eBay

Businessman plans to use MiG-21f plane to decorate office space

BEIJING - A Chinese businessman has bought a MiG-21f plane from a U.S. seller on the online auction Web site eBay for $24,730 and plans to use it to decorate an empty space at his offices, a newspaper reported Sunday.
The Beijing News newspaper identified the Chinese buyer as Zhang Cheng.
"I like to collect valuable items. I have the buying power and my company has an empty space where I can display the plane," the newspaper quoted Zhang as saying.
The eBay Web site for the transaction shows the plane is currently located in Lewiston, Idaho.
It said the fighter jet, last flown in 1995, has been inspected by a museum and found to be in excellent condition.
The seller was only identified by the username "inkgirle."
The Beijing News quoted Zhang as saying he learned from the seller's son by telephone that the fighter jet was retired by the Czech military.
It wasn't immediately clear if the fighter jet can be imported into China. Zhang said he is waiting for government authorities to get back to him, The Beijing News reported.
An operator at China's customs department said no one was available for comment.
"There is the precedent of a Chinese company buying a retired aircraft carrier, but I don't know if this jet plane is a banned item," Zhang reportedly said.
Zhang was apparently referring to the Soviet-built Minsk aircraft carrier that a Chinese company bought and converted into a floating theme park in the southern city of Shenzhen. The company went bankrupt and recently put the ship up for sale.
The report gave no indication where in China Zhang was located.
eBay's government relations department didn't immediately respond to a reporter's e-mail seeking comment.
Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12574290

Back