chinese first Aircraft carrier posted by a chinese guy

apache1989

china-aircraft-carrier-2011-4-19-3-50-12.jpg

0331032-thumb450x.jpg

It's just a renovated Soviet carrier. Maybe some new tech. But China has a lot to work on, especially with the crew training. That's probably one of their biggest hurdles.

Ex-Soviet doesn't mean that it will not float, and carry on as an air-craft carrier.

I just wonder why the Chinese would bother to spend a fortune on that, their overseas interests isn't that many, and they haven't actually planned any invasions in the near future have they....? :roll:

Their ambitions for regional power would be boosted by a carrier group. These areas would include the islands disputed with Japan (Ryukyu Islands) and also the Spratleys which has many countries claiming it to be theirs. Also it's a matter of prestige as well.

Their ambitions for regional power would be boosted by a carrier group. These areas would include the islands disputed with Japan (Ryukyu Islands) and also the Spratleys which has many countries claiming it to be theirs. Also it's a matter of prestige as well.

Their ambitions for regional power....not exactly what we were hoping for eh?
So that must mean that they actually believe that by sending a carrier they'll scare any oponent into submission, just like that.
Hillarious, at least untill they cross the path of somebody who take it as a provocation and decides to sink the pride of the Chinese fleet... :|

If it was just prestige, why can't they do like the arabs, build extravagant palaces, buy enormous yachts, and order silk lined 747's with gold dorknobs? :shoothea:

Their ambitions for regional power....not exactly what we were hoping for eh?
So that must mean that they actually believe that by sending a carrier they'll scare any oponent into submission, just like that.
Hillarious, at least untill they cross the path of somebody who take it as a provocation and decides to sink the pride of the Chinese fleet... :|

If it was just prestige, why can't they do like the arabs, build extravagant palaces, buy enormous yachts, and order silk lined 747's with gold dorknobs? :shoothea:

Could be the Chinese are using the same reasoning as during the inter world war period that all the world's leading navies had, in needing larger and larger battleships...?

Regardless of the utilities they really offered.

Right, one of the major reasons is symbolic rather than strategic.
But to have the CAPABILITY would boost their power at the bargaining table even if they don't truly intend to use it.

I'd be more inclined to say it's more of a symbolic gesture. Having a carrier (no matter how old, useless, or outdated) would boost a country's prestige and give a bargaining chip for negotiations, yet an aircraft carrier is little-used in today's conflicts. It'd be more of a gesture to other countries that "don't mess with us".

And what migth that particular carrier produce of specific demands from China?
Taiwan?

Don't worry,China olny had one aircarft carrier. the super power American had 11 aircarft carriers. I don't think China navy can threat to USA navy.

I'm more or less just interested in what China's large Blue water navy ambitions with ships like this will be in the future, than any threat they pose.

Carriers and foreign policy run in strict correlation with each other.

Is it actually normal with such a big ramp on the deck? I never saw one of these before (other than in movies) and we definately havn't got them in the danish navy :)

To me it just looks unusual that it is actually a ramp that the airplanes will take off from, I allways thought it was by using a kind of "spring" that will accelerate the airplanes extremely fast.

Is both things really neccesary?

Is it actually normal with such a big ramp on the deck? I never saw one of these before (other than in movies) and we definately havn't got them in the danish navy :)

To me it just looks unusual that it is actually a ramp that the airplanes will take off from, I allways thought it was by using a kind of "spring" that will accelerate the airplanes extremely fast.

Is both things really neccesary?
Currently only the US have the capability to buid the aircraft catapult, and French navy bought this system from the US. British and Russian navy all have this kind of ramp on their carriers.

This carrier is mainly for training and testing, coz we've nver had carriers before. It's more economic and less risky to use an old Russian ship to test. And dockyards in China can learn a lot by repairing and finishing this ship. It is far more risky if we build our first carrier by ourselves, since we lack the technology and experience.

The Chicoms have been belligerent lately in our neck of the woods(Spratleys). Now, having an aircraft carrier would be used to further increase their influence/threatening stance on the region.When the US bases were here during the 60-80s the chinese dare not approach the Philippine seas. Wish they were here again. I curse our senators that kicked out the bases in the 90s. No foresight what so ever.
Joe

I would give it some time before you start to get worried.

An carrier it is, but experaince is not contained in equiptment.

This vessel would be a great place to start, but the experiance in using carriers in conjuction with foriegn matters,

You may have a big stick now, but learning how to batter up with it isn't going to be immediate.

Give their crews time to train on their new boom boat and become aquainted at least a little more before the sight of a Red Carrier off your coast means that negoatiations have just had a major hiccup.

If they prove to make it that far, who knows where this experiment will lead in the near future.

The Chicoms have been belligerent lately in our neck of the woods(Spratleys). Now, having an aircraft carrier would be used to further increase their influence/threatening stance on the region.When the US bases were here during the 60-80s the chinese dare not approach the Philippine seas. Wish they were here again. I curse our senators that kicked out the bases in the 90s. No foresight what so ever.
Joe

PROC is flexing its muscles and obviously trying to bully the Philippines. I previously looked with admiration at China's growth but having attained its status and still growing, China is proving itself very bad in diplomacy. Was it Mao who said ' political power grows out of a barrel of a gun' ? In this modern age, it seems China has changed very little. Philippines has no choice but to seek US protection and H Clinton's recent statement on the issue ( very rare ) and the visit of a US warship was very timely. China befriended former RP President but it was tainted with corruption issues to favor Chinese business deals. Now this Spratley issue.

anyway, to add to the topic of aircraft carriers, i think malaysia and thailand also have an aircraft carrier each. its likely more for prestige same as china, except that for china its also definitely building for the future.

Back