Chinese assistance

Del Boy

News reports are telling us that China is offering to assist Tai-wan through its financial difficulties. Is this a new approach?

Yeah they're going with the softer approach. Trying to win Taiwan's heart. Their new strategy. I guess they feel they can win more friends this way than having an army go in and slaughter people and blow sh*t up.

Good or bad?

Dont really know Del, Taiwan is so westernized, I cannot imagine it's citizens lining up and supporting the party line. But the other camp has always said Taiwan is part of China and will be returned one way or another. Are they truelly just trying to help or is it a ploy to get their greedy little mits on more territory? If history has taught us anything, it has taught us that Mao used Stalin as a role model, even when he was being racially insulted by the man. The modern Chinese leadership doesn't seem to be much different, except now they realize what a free market is. I cant see Taiwan falling for some wooing from Beijing. But then again..........

Agree with every word of Pasha's Taiwan analysis. But Stalin used to racially insult Mao? How?

It's a bad thing.
It's like a bad uncle who tricks his nephews into working with him by trying to convince them that he's turned over a new leaf. Once under his control, he goes back to his old ways and he's a pro at keeping people in line.

it has nothing to to with you. both of us belong to the same nation. sometimes we may fight against each other, but when big crisis comes, we always joint and fight shoulder to shoulder.

The Taiwanese would tend to disagree about that "same nation" line. Just saying. That's like saying the United States and United Kingdom are the "same nation".

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Seems like the Taiwanese might be warming up to the mainland. It's just so profitable... who cares about freedom?

The Taiwan Problem can last for so long time is all because of your Uncle Sam.
Uncle Sam want Taiwan to be a country,the only purpose is to contain China.
They are afraid to see a united,and strong China.

Taiwanese don't want to be unified ,bacause China isn't good enough now,BUT,We WILL BE!!!Nothing can prohibit!!!!

To POST 8
The Taiwan Problem can last for so long time is all because of your Uncle Sam.
Uncle Sam want Taiwan to be a country,the only purpose is to contain China.
They are afraid to see a united,and strong China.

Taiwanese don't want to be unified ,bacause China isn't good enough now,BUT,We WILL BE!!!Nothing can prohibit!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

I believe this actually rings true.
Once China becomes a developed country or becomes very close to one, Taiwan's incentives to remain independent will diminish. Even now, the Taiwanese find the mainland so profitable that a fight with them seems unimaginable.

Back