Chinese Aircraft Carrier

--

December 1st, 2005  
bulldogg

Topic: Chinese Aircraft Carrier

Quote:
Chinese shipyard workers have been repairing a badly damaged ex-Russian aircraft carrier and have repainted it with the country’s military markings, raising the question once again of whether China is pursuing longer-term plans to field its first carrier, Jane’s Defence Weekly, a popular weekly reporting on military affairs, has said in a report earlier this month.

In the latest developments, images show that workers at the Chinese Dalian Shipyard have repainted the ex-Russian Kuznetsov-class aircraft carrier Varyag with the markings and color scheme of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Navy (PLAN), JDW reported.

Additional new photographs show that other work, the specifics of which could not be determined, appears to be continuing and that the condition of the vessel is being improved.

JDW believes that PLAN technicians have also conducted thorough studies of the basic structure of the Varyag during the past few years to obtain a comprehensive understanding of the carrier’s structural design.

Former PLAN commander General Liu Huaqing stated in his memoirs that China had purchased blueprints for the carrier — a fact that Russian sources confirmed to JDW. Moreover, Gen Huaqing added: “The competent departments of the defense industry employed Russian aircraft carrier designers to come to China and give lectures.”

Still, China’s ultimate intentions for the Varyag remain unclear. One possibility is that Beijing intends to eventually have it enter into some level of service. A military strategist from a Chinese military university has commented publicly that the Varyag “would be China’s first aircraft carrier”.
http://www.mosnews.com/news/2005/08/...acarrier.shtml

I remember this discussion on here a few months back when I told some people this was happening and they all asked for proof. Here it is.

I love being vindicated.
December 1st, 2005  
gigabrain

how many do you think they'll build
December 1st, 2005  
godofthunder9010

As has been the case for almost all of China's arsenal, its a Russian boat that was bought and modified by China. Not that this a bad thing. It's a lot cheaper that building your own carrier. China has the $$$ to keep it, Russia doesn't.

I'm curious whether it is Diesel or Nuclear powered. I might have just missed it, but I don't believe that the article specified.
--
December 1st, 2005  
Whispering Death

China's navy really isn't much of a threat. Right now they're working on getting to the level the Russians where at 30 years ago and their carriers weren't great even then.

But suffice it to say if China has a carrier at sea I've got a feeling there'll be a US sub close by.
December 2nd, 2005  
tomtom22

Whatever it is, they haven't got anything close to the US.
December 2nd, 2005  
Whispering Death

No one's going to have anything close to US for the forseeable future, it's amazing how far ahead America is compared to everyone else's carrier technology.
December 2nd, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom22
Whatever it is, they haven't got anything close to the US.
True, but beware throwing such statements around. The USA has the best military in the world, but everyone will try and try to surpass us. China is extremely, extremely interested in being better than us. More than any US citizen fully realizes. Always be ready for someone to pass us up. After all, we haven't always been the best.
December 2nd, 2005  
Whispering Death

I disagree. I believe the average American overstates the Chinese capabilities.

If you listen to CNN, China is already a superpower. But, in fact when you look at their millitary it has many significant holes in their ability to project their power.

An aircraft carrier is a requirement for projecting power beyond your boarders.
December 2nd, 2005  
Rabs

Quote:
I disagree. I believe the average American overstates the Chinese capabilities.

I completely agree, in my history class the other day everyone in the class but me thought that china would win a war against us.
December 2nd, 2005  
bulldogg

Rabs anytime you need some ammo about reality here in the PRC send me a PM and I'll line you out.