Chinese Aircraft Carrier

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
Chinese shipyard workers have been repairing a badly damaged ex-Russian aircraft carrier and have repainted it with the country’s military markings, raising the question once again of whether China is pursuing longer-term plans to field its first carrier, Jane’s Defence Weekly, a popular weekly reporting on military affairs, has said in a report earlier this month.

In the latest developments, images show that workers at the Chinese Dalian Shipyard have repainted the ex-Russian Kuznetsov-class aircraft carrier Varyag with the markings and color scheme of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Navy (PLAN), JDW reported.

Additional new photographs show that other work, the specifics of which could not be determined, appears to be continuing and that the condition of the vessel is being improved.

JDW believes that PLAN technicians have also conducted thorough studies of the basic structure of the Varyag during the past few years to obtain a comprehensive understanding of the carrier’s structural design.

Former PLAN commander General Liu Huaqing stated in his memoirs that China had purchased blueprints for the carrier — a fact that Russian sources confirmed to JDW. Moreover, Gen Huaqing added: “The competent departments of the defense industry employed Russian aircraft carrier designers to come to China and give lectures.”

Still, China’s ultimate intentions for the Varyag remain unclear. One possibility is that Beijing intends to eventually have it enter into some level of service. A military strategist from a Chinese military university has commented publicly that the Varyag “would be China’s first aircraft carrier”.

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2005/08/25/chinacarrier.shtml

I remember this discussion on here a few months back when I told some people this was happening and they all asked for proof. Here it is.

I love being vindicated.

As has been the case for almost all of China's arsenal, its a Russian boat that was bought and modified by China. Not that this a bad thing. It's a lot cheaper that building your own carrier. China has the $$$ to keep it, Russia doesn't.

I'm curious whether it is Diesel or Nuclear powered. I might have just missed it, but I don't believe that the article specified.

China's navy really isn't much of a threat. Right now they're working on getting to the level the Russians where at 30 years ago and their carriers weren't great even then.

But suffice it to say if China has a carrier at sea I've got a feeling there'll be a US sub close by.

No one's going to have anything close to US for the forseeable future, it's amazing how far ahead America is compared to everyone else's carrier technology.

tomtom22 said:
Whatever it is, they haven't got anything close to the US.
True, but beware throwing such statements around. The USA has the best military in the world, but everyone will try and try to surpass us. China is extremely, extremely interested in being better than us. More than any US citizen fully realizes. Always be ready for someone to pass us up. After all, we haven't always been the best.

I disagree. I believe the average American overstates the Chinese capabilities.

If you listen to CNN, China is already a superpower. But, in fact when you look at their millitary it has many significant holes in their ability to project their power.

An aircraft carrier is a requirement for projecting power beyond your boarders.

I disagree. I believe the average American overstates the Chinese capabilities.

I completely agree, in my history class the other day everyone in the class but me thought that china would win a war against us.

Rabs anytime you need some ammo about reality here in the PRC send me a PM and I'll line you out.
;)

Man, this thing sounds like a bargain basement nightmare.

Kuznetsov class of conventionally-powered aircraft carriers displaced roughly 65,000 tons and for the first time carried conventional take-off and landing aircraft. These included navalized versions of fourth-generation fighters, such as the Su-27K (later 'Su-33') and the MiG-29K, along with a converted Su-25 and several planned new designs. The bow of the Kuznetsov sloped upward in a twelve-degree "ski jump", which would permit short-take-offs from her relatively small deck. In addition to the air wing, Kuznetsov carried a dozen launchers for SS-N-19 antiship missiles, SA-N-9 and CADS-N-1 air defense complexes, and a pair of RBU-12000 ASW mortars. Like the Admiral Gorshkov, Admiral Kuznetsov was equipped with the Sky Watch 3D radar; however, this system did not appear in the Varyag -- as was previously mentioned, the problems with Sky Watch eventually caused its abandonment.

Exactly who owns Varyag is a question of some contention, and her future is equally unclear. However, recent statements from high Navy officials appear to make it clear that due to her material condition, she will never put to sea.

Missileer

The problem with the Kuznetsov in Chinese use doesnt worry me per se. Its the fact the Chinese are going to reverse engineer her and then build 5 or 6 of a entirely new type based on what they learned saving them decades in R&D time. Its sort of like giving the Nazis in 1939 complete plans to a F-4 Phantom.

i'm afraid u americans really seem to under-estimate the chinese.that is a very dangerous thing to do

no one here underestimates the chinese and what there capable of, we just grasp the facts that this is a 30 year old carrier thats noisy and with any conflict is gona have a pair of mk-38s in its side within a few minutes.

It doesnt do any good for them to have a carrier if they cant put it to sea cause they lack ASW capablitiy.

I don't underestimate the Communist Chinese forces. Infact, I keep a close watch on them because of that. They're a threat the US national Security and also to the security of the free world. And sadly, Commie-President Bill Clinton helped the PRC out by selling them a ton of military information.

I don't think the Chinese are as evil or deadly as many people think. I do think selling them millitary information is god damned stupid! But I think they're currently primarily a defensive army and can't even project their powers accross the Taiwan straight much less into any decent-sized war.

I put China is the same bucket as Iran as nations that would be tough to invade but arn't so much a threat, currently, in projecting their millitaries.

Whispering Death said:
I don't think the Chinese are as evil or deadly as many people think. I do think selling them millitary information is god damned stupid! But I think they're currently primarily a defensive army and can't even project their powers accross the Taiwan straight much less into any decent-sized war.

I put China is the same bucket as Iran as nations that would be tough to invade but arn't so much a threat, currently, in projecting their millitaries.

China would be easier than most think...:cool:

why you American could own aircraft carrier ,we chinese couldn't.this a military developing trend and necessary of society and technology.

Nasa88

Nobody is saying China cannot have an Aircraft Carrier, its just doing so and the rapid increase in China Military spending makes other countries nervous. This is espically true of some of China's neighboors who are very friendly to the USA.

If China increases it military size and capcity, dont be surprised for other nations to do the same, or to ask for protection from the USA.

Back