Chinese Aircraft Carrier - Page 3




 
--
 
December 13th, 2005  
godofthunder9010
 
 
China is the second wealthiest nation on the planet (counting overall $$$). The reason that the former USSR can't mantain the same size/power carrier fleet that the USA maintains is simply that they cannot afford it. China can most definitely afford it at this point. China is the one most likely nation that could someday become equals to the USA militarily, within the foreseeable future. That doesn't make them equal yet, but having their own supercarrier (outdated or not) is a big step.

China could do a lot more to lessen the tensions that come from their push for military strength. It does indeed make many neighboring nations nervous. The key to China achieving their big dream of being "the most powerful nation in the world" is to be a lot more diplomatic and friendly with their neighbors.
December 13th, 2005  
Whispering Death
 
 
I think you're overlooking a lot of things there godofthunder in promoting how wealthy China is. There are huge swaths of China that are desperately desperately poor and most of the country is rather uneducated. In addition to that China has to contend with nations on all of its boarders unlike the USSR which had satelite buffer states and the US which could pretty much control the Indians, Mexicans, and Canadians by sheer force of arms.
December 14th, 2005  
Mohmar Deathstrike
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
Missileer

The problem with the Kuznetsov in Chinese use doesnt worry me per se. Its the fact the Chinese are going to reverse engineer her and then build 5 or 6 of a entirely new type based on what they learned saving them decades in R&D time. Its sort of like giving the Nazis in 1939 complete plans to a F-4 Phantom.
Yeah, excpet that F-4 Phantom IIs didn't exist until the 1950s
--
December 14th, 2005  
Rabs
 
 
Mohmar hes saying that if you gave nazis complete plans ot F-4s and they built a few it could of changed the tide of the war. It was theroetical.

Hes compareing it to giving the chinese tech.
December 14th, 2005  
Mohmar Deathstrike
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabs
Mohmar hes saying that if you gave nazis complete plans ot F-4s and they built a few it could of changed the tide of the war. It was theroetical.

Hes compareing it to giving the chinese tech.
But, the Nazis started what later became ww2 in 1939. China doesn't look like it's going to commit to a full-scale war anytime soon.

Also, would a few F-4s have changed the course of the war? Sure they would have been able to bomb a couple of targets with impunity thruout Europe. They would also have shot down some more Allied fighters and bombers. But the Allies just had so much of everything that it might not have made that much of a difference. Then again, all this is theoretical and not really worth a serious discussion
December 15th, 2005  
Wing Nut
 
That damn sub better be careful not to get trapped underneath the carrier as it sinks to the bottom.


Wing Nut



Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
China's navy really isn't much of a threat. Right now they're working on getting to the level the Russians where at 30 years ago and their carriers weren't great even then.

But suffice it to say if China has a carrier at sea I've got a feeling there'll be a US sub close by.
December 15th, 2005  
godofthunder9010
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
I think you're overlooking a lot of things there godofthunder in promoting how wealthy China is. There are huge swaths of China that are desperately desperately poor and most of the country is rather uneducated. In addition to that China has to contend with nations on all of its boarders unlike the USSR which had satelite buffer states and the US which could pretty much control the Indians, Mexicans, and Canadians by sheer force of arms.
1.) I'm not promoting how wealthy China is. They have the second largest GDP in the world and this equates to actual total wealth. Just like the USSR, they are very driven to be the biggest baddest military around ... and just like the USSR, they do appear to be 100% willing ignore their own dirt poor people to achieve their goals. Underlying point: The PRC has the cash and is willing to spend it.
2.) Your point about satalite/buffer states on all sides is lead directly into my main point. China can dream all they like, but until they do A LOT more to befriend their immediate neighbors, their power and influence will not reach far outside the PRC's borders.
3.) Despite the fact that the USA could forcably subdue all of its neighbors without too much trouble, the bigger point is this: We don't have to. We are on good, friendly terms with our neighbors to the north. Mexico is not as close of a relationship, but we're on excellent terms with them in general. Not likely that many Mexicans are bracing for an unexpected attack that could come from the USA any day now. China's neighbors are a lot more worried about that sort of thing.
4.) In view, everything that China would have to do to fulfill their great dream of being the most powerful, most important nation on the planet would lead them to ... well, play nice and play well with others. This would lead directly to them being a lot less terrifying to the world overall. They just never manage to do it.
December 15th, 2005  
Whispering Death
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
3.) Despite the fact that the USA could forcably subdue all of its neighbors without too much trouble, the bigger point is this: We don't have to. We are on good, friendly terms with our neighbors to the north. Mexico is not as close of a relationship, but we're on excellent terms with them in general. Not likely that many Mexicans are bracing for an unexpected attack that could come from the USA any day now. China's neighbors are a lot more worried about that sort of thing.
Yes, but America got to that point after a war with Canada, a war or two or three with Mexico, and wars of annihilation waged against the indians. Now we're all on good terms because we've shaped the region into one that is in-line with our will.

China really can't do the same thing.
December 15th, 2005  
phoenix80
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa88
why you American could own aircraft carrier ,we chinese couldn't.this a military developing trend and necessary of society and technology.
No one ever said here who can own what! hehehe

People seem to be worried about China because it is a communist dictatorship with poor records in human rights and there is no transparency in the chinese government and it is not a democracy!

And a dictatorship can be a threat to its neighbors and regional peace.

That is why most people become worried when Chinese trying to arm themselves to the teeth.