China's Mao - Page 6

--
Boots

February 10th, 2005  
MadeInChina

YES... "looks north towards russia's unrest"

i believe democracy should come slow, when its right we will ahve it, rite now the persuit for economic power we still need powerful officials
February 10th, 2005  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA
YES... "looks north towards russia's unrest"

i believe democracy should come slow, when its right we will ahve it, rite now the persuit for economic power we still need powerful officials
Why do you look north? I would think you could just look at your own history (ie the subject of this topic).
February 10th, 2005  
Sexybeast

he is just making a point that "transforming too fast into democracy have lots of problems"
--
Boots
February 10th, 2005  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexybeast
he is just making a point that "transforming too fast into democracy have lots of problems"
And I am just making the point that "transforming to fast in general has lots of problems."
February 10th, 2005  
Sexybeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexybeast
And I am just making the point that "transforming to fast in general has lots of problems."
wut is ur point related to China's Mao?

probably u r talking about his Great Leap "backward"
February 10th, 2005  
MadeInChina

no, clearly hes talking about the economic boom chinas experiencing, hes crying its too fast, i remember talking to him and he bashed about exporting jobs to china

anyhow economic development is good and thereby u morally u cant go and flame another country's ecnomic development when it does not involve anything threatening ( well, not yet)

stick to the topic, its about mao

Another Mao's achievements

china is prone to floods and droughts, a famous saying goes that farmers live by the sky, as in their survival all depends on their harvests

to control flooding, mao's directives were to bujilt up the dikes of yellow river, create diversion canals, bjuild diversion ponds, dams and dredging

these all helped with the floding and in times the reserve water help to endure droughts

since 59' deaths due to flooding was down to the thousands from millions, and the highest is just in the tenths
February 10th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

I agree that the transition to Democracy should be somewhat gradual, but my primary concern right now is this: Every day that passes, the Communist Party is going to be more prone to becoming power hungry and corrupt. More and more prone to sabotage any attempt at democracy before it happens. This would end up leading to the necessity of a bloody revolution and that is something that ought to be avoided if at all possible.

A good step to take right now would be for there to be more than one political party in control in China. The Communist Party ought to be willing to act in good faith in favor of control being slowly handed over to the people. Experiment a bit with some democratic processes. Perhaps even try out what England did: Create a body democratically elected by the people. Initially, they have little power. Gradually increase their power and responsibility.

What is China currently doing to begin the transition? Is anything being done at all? I ask the question because I don't actually know.
February 10th, 2005  
Zucchini

Mao won because the Chinese people picked him through a process called war. Mao didn't win without them.

And they will pick the pace of the transition, or whether there will be a transition. That's an asumption the West makes that may never come to be. They have a right to remain a one-party-authoritarian government if that is what they desire, and they are making a fairly descent run at being successful at it while being a player in the global economy.
February 10th, 2005  
Sexybeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
I agree that the transition to Democracy should be somewhat gradual, but my primary concern right now is this: Every day that passes, the Communist Party is going to be more prone to becoming power hungry and corrupt. More and more prone to sabotage any attempt at democracy before it happens. This would end up leading to the necessity of a bloody revolution and that is something that ought to be avoided if at all possible.

A good step to take right now would be for there to be more than one political party in control in China. The Communist Party ought to be willing to act in good faith in favor of control being slowly handed over to the people. Experiment a bit with some democratic processes. Perhaps even try out what England did: Create a body democratically elected by the people. Initially, they have little power. Gradually increase their power and responsibility.

What is China currently doing to begin the transition? Is anything being done at all? I ask the question because I don't actually know.

if u r living in china, u will know that media is much more freer now than 20 years ago,
corrupted offcials now can be exposed in newspapers (lots), government offcials , police, other agencies can be critisized politely on newspaper or radio (i personally heard it when i was in china last summer),

if u say Hu Jintao is a son of ***** on the street in china, no one will kick ur ass or even look at u, not like 30 years ago if u say Mao is a SOB, u will get shot.

china has been more democractic than before, although improvements can still and must be made in the future...like a general free election (china actually has election now, in most of villeges, or small communities, or small government agencies, leaders are directly elected , personally experience on that one, more reliable than those reports written by western reporters who mostly never been to china)

right now chinese government is trying its best to delivering economic benifits and more importantly, a good education to those 800 million ppl inving in country side, and also, targeting on the gap between rich and poor, and also sovlving the problem of uneployment created by economic reform
if china suddenly give up its firm controll over its ppl, there will be wide spread unrest as so many problems are in china right now,
that will be a huge setback of china's economic reform and world's economy, that is why chinese leaders choose slow democratic reforms, as they have been doing for the past 20 years (although sometimes they use firm hands to hold china back from transforming too fast)

perhaps many westerners can say that WHY NOT CHINA GIVE DEMOCRACY A TRY, ya, they can say that,
do they care if china fall into chaos? do they care if chinese ppl suffer again.? they can say wutever they want because they dont have the responsibiliy to bring stability and prosperity of 1.3 billion ppl
February 10th, 2005  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA
no, clearly hes talking about the economic boom chinas experiencing, hes crying its too fast, i remember talking to him and he bashed about exporting jobs to china
Keyword in my post: HISTORY
Definition of history(according to dictionary.com): The branch of knowledge that records and analyzes past events
Keyword there: PAST
Difinition of past(according to dictionary.com): Having existed or occurred in an earlier time

Meaning that when I said China's own history that is what I meant, CHINA'S HISTORY. Not what is going on in China right now, that is not in the past, that is in the present, but what happened in China in the years following the Communist victory (ie Cultural revolution).

Definition of Cultural Revolution(according to dictionary.com): A comprehensive reform movement in China initiated by Mao Zedong in 1965 to eliminate counterrevolutionary elements in the country's institutions and leadership. It was characterized by political zealotry, purges of intellectuals, and social and economic chaos.

I certainly hope that clarifies any doubts about what I meant when I said "Why do you look north? I would think you could just look at your own history (ie the subject of this topic)."