China's Blue Navy

rock45

Found this article and it mentioned China sending over two of it's best war ships to fight the pirates and safe guard China's interests in the region. I know it sounds crazy but if China really put a military footprint in say Sudan under the cover of protecting their oil investments. Can I assume that's one of the worlds important choke points? I don't follow naval topics much but after reading this article it made me think "what if". China has already has a footprint in Africa and it's spreading. All the talk over the years of somebody making a grab at the Middle East oil but what if the target was eastern Africa, plenty of oil and other minerals. Would Europe or the US say anything if China dump troops and equipment there?

PLA Navy to guard China’s global interests
http://www.upiasia.com/Security/2009/02/20/pla_navy_to_guard_chinas_global_interests/1570/

At least regionally, that's true. Once America's out of the western Pacific, dark days will be ahead for all countries on this side of the world.

Africa

Since most of Africa's former connections to Europe etc had ended or fading quickly I don't see that big outside support coming in saying "you can't come in". The smaller countries in Africa alone couldn't stand up to China if real pressure was placed. Can you just see in five years or so " Chinese troops entered Chad, Ethiopia, Eritrea, or even Central African Republic, to end the riots and stop the rebel attacks? And then decided just stay would others commit troops to act as a buffer? Looking at a map there is more oil west of this area Africa maybe a better catch then the Middle East because it offers more.

the_13th_redneck - That's why I mentioned deploying F-22s to South Korea the US needs to get stronger in Asia, I think more is needed then just maintaining what bases are there. I think how the US interests formed itself around the former USSR, I think a similar long term plan is needed. Something out of general cruise missile range would be nice.
icon10.gif

The Chinese Navy is currently not a deep water long range sustainable force. Balkin-MG could quite possibly be as old as I am, by the time China could build a Navy to match the US. They are currently no match for either NATO or Russia.

The Chinese have no aircraft carriers to support operations outside their immediate area. If they started to build one today it would be years before it would be operational.

US concerns about the Chinese Navy are about the possibility of aggression toward National China.

For a comprehensive assessment on the current status of the Chinese navy follow the link below.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/row/RL33153.pdf

This is the November 2008 CRS report to the US Congress. Amazing what a free and open government will make available to the public.

China's fleet

Hi Chukpike
That's web sites going to takes days to though great source of information thanks.
icon12.gif
icon14.gif
:salute2:

Great link Chukpike.

As for the original question, the Chinese are only protecting their property, since they have been buying and investing heavily in Africa. When the Un wants to complain about Darfur, they suggest China exert some influence, as they're the major stake holder in Sudan, same goes for most of the rest Africa. China has a long term plan, it doesn't have the forces to fully protect its overseas assets, yet, but it will.

Great link Chukpike.

As for the original question, the Chinese are only protecting their property, since they have been buying and investing heavily in Africa. When the Un wants to complain about Darfur, they suggest China exert some influence, as they're the major stake holder in Sudan, same goes for most of the rest Africa. China has a long term plan, it doesn't have the forces to fully protect its overseas assets, yet, but it will.

Confusing as to what you are getting at. Sending troops to protect their interests in Africa? Let's say they took over Sudan and were able to control shipping through the Suez canal. What interest would they have in stopping its use. The Suez canal is the major traffic way for trade between Europe and China. It does not enter into trade between China and the Western hemisphere.

It would only be a choke point to keep Chinese goods from reaching Europe. US oil from the middle east does not go through the Suez canal. The US may have little reason to care what China does in Africa. Might even welcome the idea of China getting got up in trying to "control" Africa. China could end up spending many years and a lot of money in Africa.

Just for informational purposes China is the third largest investor in Africa behind the US and France.

What would India be doing in this scenario? Certainly not supporting China.

Yeah,china is definitely going rampart sometimes in the next 20 years,and with russia supporting china it might be tough.

Confusing as to what you are getting at. Sending troops to protect their interests in Africa? Let's say they took over Sudan and were able to control shipping through the Suez canal. What interest would they have in stopping its use. The Suez canal is the major traffic way for trade between Europe and China. It does not enter into trade between China and the Western hemisphere.

It would only be a choke point to keep Chinese goods from reaching Europe. US oil from the middle east does not go through the Suez canal. The US may have little reason to care what China does in Africa. Might even welcome the idea of China getting got up in trying to "control" Africa. China could end up spending many years and a lot of money in Africa.

Just for informational purposes China is the third largest investor in Africa behind the US and France.

What would India be doing in this scenario? Certainly not supporting China.

My main concern is that China is buying heavily into countries which have vast amounts of mineral resources, in effect buying them up in advance of the countries being developed. Which is creating quite a sphere of influence for them. I don't think that they'll use troops in the short term, but having a decent navy to "fly the flag" and protect their sea lanes will go a long way towards their march to global superpower.

The US & French investment is focussed in certain areas and tends to be more aid rather than resource driven, whereas from the news reports I have seen the Chinese appear to be gaily throwing their money around, to anyone that will take it - for a price!! I will have to check on the stories to confirm this, so that I can post the links, but that is my gut reaction from what I've seen.

Well, it´s both yes and no to the question of China establishing a foothold in Africa in my mind..

Financially they are already there but not in an overwhelming sense. The Arabs dominate investments in north-africa while western countries in the southern parts so it´s mainly if you look at Africa as a whole they are a significant force.

Military they are very reluctant to commit themselves in Africa as in particular the arab world would be rather suspicious, and China relies heavily on gulf oil.

Chinas main goal is to ensure the availability of strategic resources to their industries, nothing more sinister than that.

Well, it´s both yes and no to the question of China establishing a foothold in Africa in my mind..

Financially they are already there but not in an overwhelming sense. The Arabs dominate investments in north-africa while western countries in the southern parts so it´s mainly if you look at Africa as a whole they are a significant force.

Military they are very reluctant to commit themselves in Africa as in particular the arab world would be rather suspicious, and China relies heavily on gulf oil.

Chinas main goal is to ensure the availability of strategic resources to their industries, nothing more sinister than that.

OK, but what does a "superpower" need to maintain itself as a "superpower" - resources. Which continent is open and available - Africa. I'm not saying that this is a plot, but Suggesting that China has a very long range plan, which will not deviate too much, as they're not going to have major leadership changes over the next 15 - 20 years.

It is well known that Putin and the government of China have signed a ''friendship pact''.That is why Kosovo is not recognised yet.

I would be interested in what type of "friendship pact" they signed. Could you please supply sources.

Was it a mutual defense pact?
Some sort of trade agreement?
A nonaggression treaty?

It would be interesting to see how close they are becoming. If you could give a source where this information is available it would help.

Back