China's aircraft carrier under construction

EagleStrike said:
Can't see either pictures in the website or on here.
'
right click on the link to the image and choose 'save as'' to save the image to your computer for viewing. direct linking of image seems not working.

This is the first I have heard of it. However if it is true then it isn't that much of an aircarrier. American ones carry around 80-90 now and that number will probably grow before all is done.

all 20 billion dollers of it ;)

However if this is true and they are building an aircarrier that can hold 30 aircraft all that is left to say is.

"China,Welcome to the 1940's."

lol, i admire u wanting to make a joke, but it isnt exactly funny and untrue.

cuz i dont think china will use corsairs or mustangs as aircrafts on the carrier.

anyways, its a work in progress, sooner or later better carriers will be developed and these 30-aircraft carriers will be used for marine operations

meh, its INTERNATIONAL military forum, so doesnt matter.

anyways, the chinese doesnt hide much of its waepons, as u can see in pictures of new ddgs being built :idea:

*Snort* it look like all they did was scale down a Nimitz-class carrier. Does anyone know if this is nuclear powered or conventional?

c/LtCdr said:
*Snort* it look like all they did was scale down a Nimitz-class carrier. Does anyone know if this is nuclear powered or conventional?

Well of course it does and it comes in a bundle with Chinese hummers and *insert your favourite Western product here*... :D

About the power plant...dunno but it seems a waste of money to put a reactor in a thing that small (30 aircraft)...however this isn't fact only my assumptions...

Of course it's made public. After all it's a big morale booster for the country.
Also something for the rest of us to worry about.

some followup info for the carrier:

its keel was laid last august in Shanghai.

full load displacement:48K tons

conventional steam turbines with single unit power of 79K horsepower. engine is of russian technology but built in Shanghai.

full speed: 32 knots

38 aircraft on board after completion. Some French techies are helping the Chinese on convertion of land-based aircrafts to ship-borne ones.

airforce composition: one squadron of 24 J-10s, plus anti-submarine, AWAC, refuell, etc. aircrafts. all domestically manufactured with some imported foreign technology.

deck layout is of u.s. style, diagonal runway. but taking off is russian style with a sky-jump ramp.

fire control radars, automation etc. high-tech stuff is a joint effort, or medley of quite a few european countries.

budget for the carrier only excluding aircrafts: 3 billion RMB, rougly 400 million US dollars, (Darcia don't you drop your jaws on the floor. 20 billion bucks will get them 50 of this! all naked of course, but still)

new frigates built for the to-be carrier fleet, FLD 3100 tons with stealth design, are also under construction in shanghai. Meanwhile an amphibious assault ship, FLD 22K tons, is being built in DaLian the northern port city. The chinese is in a warship-building frenzy, remniscent to the japanese before WWII. what do you think?

The PLA is asking for one or two more carriers of such kind to be built.

There are a little fake pics in the Chinese Mil. Forums.
CVcnFaked.jpg

This is a special announcement:

y45tt34 have recently posted unconfirmed, entirely false reports about China's construction of any sort of aircraft carriers.

First of all, correction: There are no signs of aircraft carrier construction in China. Please be well aware of that.

It could be that with India and Pakistan both being nuke powers and India having two of her own carriers(aging ww2 refits mind you) and trying to build more, China may feel the need to flex some muscle regionally. I seriously doubt that one baby carrier is going to do much against us presently. If thng begin to get real messy in the middle east sucking up lots of naval resources then I wouldn't be suprised if they tried to take Taiwan. But I'd bet that they might find a few SSNs in the way

seawolf.gif

I knew the Chinese were buying up all the scrap steel that they can find. This explains some of that.

PLAN officials noticed that their Navy cannot project it's capabilities strong enough if it lacks an aircraft carrier. The plan have been recently halted due to the absense of a suitable aircraft. The J-11/Su-27SK was originally intented to be a naval aircraft however the licensing have been cancelled and production have been halted.

Since the Taiwan Straight crisis is nearing, PLAN officials are debating whether an Aircraft Carrier is a tremendous waste of resources and outmoded according to their analysts that stressed upon a "Battlefield under high-tech conditions."

Back