China's aircraft carrier under construction - Page 7

--

January 19th, 2005  
c/Commander

[quote="Time"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paratroopa
the future of naval warefare does not need cruisers of any ships bigger except for carriers

destroyers are fast, smaller, carries alot of weaponery, and are less expensive,

cruisers are mainly used as the ship of the line for fleets, since their performance is similar the desoryer and are just bigger and meaner, i think its waste of wealth
The American Ticonderoga-class cruiser (henceforth referred to as the "Tyco") is meant as a command center for the Aegis air defense system...the spokes in the figurative wheels of this system are the Arleigh Burke-class of destroyer. All ships in the US Navy, including the Perry-class frigates that re being phased out, have their purpose.
January 19th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Submarine and an Aircraft carrier. Kinda different you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexybeast
wel..PLA did a good job on hiding 094 nuke sub...suprised U.S a bit..
January 19th, 2005  
Sexybeast

we r talking about a broad issue of hiding top military secrects...

by the way, show me how to build a sub under water
--
January 19th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Well, communist nations have traditionally had an edge in concelement. However, I think an aircraft carrier is so large, complex, and technologicaly sophisticated that it would be unlikely that it could remain completely hidden from intelligence agencies.
January 19th, 2005  
Sexybeast

wel....094 is not so small either...yet it has been completely hidden and suprised ppl
January 19th, 2005  
AsianAmerican

Surprised Many because it was revealed 5 years ahead of schedule. :P
January 19th, 2005  
Chinaman

um... what happens if a nuclear carrier gets hit in the engine, does it create a nuclear chain reaction>
January 19th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Regarding a Nuclear carrier getting hit:
No it just sprays radio active crap everywhere. Basically a mini Chernobyl.

And the submarine? You can keep things like that a secret in military shipyards of course. It's hard but you can still do it. But the thing is you could launch it and have it never hit the surface in public. And by the nature of the submarine it's a concealed weapon. Sure, you may be able to build an aircraft carrier secretly but once it's complete, the secret will be out. Unless of course you're willing to send it into combat without ever testing it... oh that sounds like a lot of fun
January 20th, 2005  
Chinaman

um... theres an idea: subcarriers
January 20th, 2005  
A Can of Man

It's been thought of and tried before. But I think the maximum planes it carried was two. Japan made them I'm pretty sure.

But in the modern day, it would be too expensive I think. Not to mention a submarine is much more prone to accidents as well so .... we're not sure if it's worth all the trouble!