China's aircraft carrier under construction

I think the Chinese will stay away from Carriers for a few years and spend more time on Submarines. Submarines are the perfect weapons to engange Carrier Groups.

-Eddie-

CPrime said:
dont underestimate chinese, they like to pretend they are weak and then suprise u suddenly

I first had the idea that they are strong. I didn't know how strong after some research i did. I am really impresed about there strenght. Even scared a litle. It is really like they are preparing for a war against the US. Whatelse do you need such a big and strong army for that is still growing and improving?

na..they are not there yet, most of those flashy equips are only for those class-A armies, which accounts only 25% of the whole troop,
there is still a long-way to go for PLA

well the Chinese trying to Acquire an operational carrier or build one of their own, would scare me. For the simple fact is our navy is becoming out of date, and we need to build more new ships across the nation. There are less than 300 surface combatants within the USN we need way more than that.

Don't be too worried about our navy, I think the USN is on a good heading. Our carriers are vast in number and extremely powerful. What we need is to create next generation cruisers. Missile defence in all navies is still very very poor, lets remember the AGEIS cruiser has a 100% failure rate vs. the cruise missile in the history of combat. Problem is we still need more research. Wait till' we can create some formidible anti-millile cruisers and crank those babies out to protect our carriers.

the future of naval warefare does not need cruisers of any ships bigger except for carriers

destroyers are fast, smaller, carries alot of weaponery, and are less expensive,

cruisers are mainly used as the ship of the line for fleets, since their performance is similar the desoryer and are just bigger and meaner, i think its waste of wealth

carriers are still important, though vulenable to missile attacks

Nice, someday im going to buy the uss iowa and turn it into my own yacht

paratroopa said:
the future of naval warefare does not need cruisers of any ships bigger except for carriers

destroyers are fast, smaller, carries alot of weaponery, and are less expensive,

cruisers are mainly used as the ship of the line for fleets, since their performance is similar the desoryer and are just bigger and meaner, i think its waste of wealth

carriers are still important, though vulenable to missile attacks

Nice, someday im going to buy the uss iowa and turn it into my own yacht

I believe that we need battleships, cruisers, and destroyers, because each has it's own purpose, shells are cheaper than missiles.

shells seem to be less accurate right?
if u make ur shell too accurate,..then it is just as expensive as a missile..

i doubt a modern destroyer would ever use its art on board..
today's navy fight is not gonna like close-combat,

Well the navy's prototype next-gen destroyer is going to be armed with 2 100 nautical-mile cannons that can fire 12 GPS guided LRLAP (Long Range Land Attack Projectiles) a minute to fill the gaping hole for a Littoral Combat ship (something I've been complaining about for 4 years).

Artillery is very accurate these days, especially these new systems that are being developed and much less expensive than missles. Much much much less expensive.

meh, im in favor is an entire fleet quipped with a couple capital ships of carriers, a battleship for hoots and marine operation, aloto f desroyers, and good ol subs

China does have guided artillery but not as accurate to GPS guided munitions used by the United States. China is able to use GPS for this purpose but was unable to do so due to pressure and restrictions placed by the United States if their satellites are used for military means. That is why the laser, heat seaking, radar guided, anything except GPS guided missiles is the only pinpoint ordinance for China (for now).

China still has some technology bottle-neck in aircraft carrier.
It is in progress but will not appear in three or four years.

Well either way I think it's only a matter of time. The sort of mission the Chinese Navy wants to undertake requires aircraft carriers.

I think if it is complete, there would have been a massive ceremony. Do you have any idea the sort of propaganda value the announcement of the completion of an aircraft carrier has?
Also, it would be discovered soon enough anyways. There are certain things you can hide. An aircraft carrier isn't one of them.

the_13th_redneck said:
I think if it is complete, there would have been a massive ceremony. Do you have any idea the sort of propaganda value the announcement of the completion of an aircraft carrier has?
Also, it would be discovered soon enough anyways. There are certain things you can hide. An aircraft carrier isn't one of them.

I agree, from what i have read in other forums and articles there are rumors that China wont have a carrier until the years of 2010-2012, but those are all RUMORS! And yeah it would be very hard to hide a carrier the size of a football field. :p

Back