China's aircraft carrier under construction

Armychef said:
It could be that with India and Pakistan both being nuke powers and India having two of her own carriers(aging ww2 refits mind you) and trying to build more, China may feel the need to flex some muscle regionally. I seriously doubt that one baby carrier is going to do much against us presently. If thng begin to get real messy in the middle east sucking up lots of naval resources then I wouldn't be suprised if they tried to take Taiwan. But I'd bet that they might find a few SSNs in the way

seawolf.gif

I knew the Chinese were buying up all the scrap steel that they can find. This explains some of that.

Were you meaning steel for the carrier or for the submarine...'cause if you meant the sub...that's the USS Seawolf (SSN 21).

First off that picture of the carrier isn't a Chinese Carrier. Second if somehow they are making a carrier can I please have a link to where u got all the specs Mr. thread starter? Thanks

Actually I was under the impression that most of the steel was going into the manufacture of trucks and cars rather than naval assets. I was just saying that with the fact that they are buying up shitloads of scrap steel that they could be building ships with it instead.

I just posted the Seawolf pict because I mentioned attack subs hunting a chinese carrier lead invasion force to tawain.

na..China won't have aircraft carrier in recent years

even if they got one, they dont have enough power to built a whole standard fleet and protect their carrier,

china's big shots are subs and maybe S-30s to fight against other nations' carriers

Did some research and it turns out that first off the pic is a fake. Secondly there is no sound evidence of the Chinese building a carrier and even if they where, most likely they would retrofit an old Russian one than make one from scratch.

Whispering Death said:
Did some research and it turns out that first off the pic is a fake. Secondly there is no sound evidence of the Chinese building a carrier and even if they where, most likely they would retrofit an old Russian one than make one from scratch.

replicate...

anyhow, small carriers are the way of the future... less target.

well, i think china has the money and tech to build one now,
but it really not worth it, to build a target for U.S airforce right?

Quite simple. Ever since World War II, there was a need for carrier based planes to fend off incoming enemy aircraft and will provide vital protection for the fleet. And now, Carrier based planes provide air support and bombing runs against enemy targets.

But the Carrier seems to be outmoded as like the Battleship during the earlier years of World War II, but not yet.

Hi,

Here is a Very Good Article About Chinese Aircraft Carrier Project ......

At present China has very little in the way of credible power-projection capabilities, though China can already project military forces superior to those that South-east Asian countries could deploy to the South China Sea. The PLA Navy has studied the acquisition of an aircraft carrier since the mid-1980s, and there are persistant reports that China has plans to launch a 40,000 ton class aircraft carrier by 2010, though these reports remain unsubstantiated and appear to based on woefully inadequate analysis and information.

At that time, China had planned to finish the first aircraft carrier by 2000, but the plan was delayed repeatedly due to lack of carrier technology. Eventually it was decided to advance the carrier program in two stages.

Phase 1 - Study Foreign Technology

During the first stage, China has bought several scrapped carriers from overseas in order to study the parts.

In 1985 China purchased the 17,000-ton former Royal Australian Navy aircraft carrier, HMAS Melbourne as scrap, and she was finally broken up in Dalian, China. According to some reports stated that as late as 1994 the ship was still in existence at Guangzhou, China, being studied by Chinese naval architects. The hulk had been stripped of all useful equipment prior to sale, but Australian Navy sources reportedly said that the Chinese were particularly interested in the ship's steam catapult - even requesting the operating manuals. It is said that a navy unit has built a simulated flying deck at its airport in northern China. The design of the Melbourne was taken for reference. Reportedly, the airborne troops of the navy have used the deck to carry out numerous flying tests. The improved deck adopted the optical landing system designed and developed by China.

Phase 2 - New Construction

China appears to have chosen to build a Chinese aircraft carrier, rather than purchasing one off-the-shelf. Although China’s long-term goal is to acquire one or more aircraft carriers and it has an active program to develop a design, it remains unclear whether Beijing has reached a firm decision on the kind of carrier it will have, given budget constraints and naval funding priorities.

The PLA Navy will need to overcome several large obstacles before it can field an operational aircraft carrier and associated supporting ships. First, the PLA Navy does not have any carrier-capable aircraft. Second, although substantially improved in these areas, it still needs more and better antisubmarine and antiaircraft capabilities to protect a carrier and its supporting vessels. Finally, to have adequate power projection capabilities from the use of a carrier, it is preferable to have more than one carrier so that a carrier is assuming the mission at sea at all times. Thus, many experts have concluded that an operational aircraft carrier does not appear to be in China's near future, even though China is funding research and development and training officers in aircraft carrier operations.

Source

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Can i ask if its a chinese carrier why is there writeing in english?
Oh and another thing if its a chinese carrier then dont you think they would use a chinese company and not the newport company since they make US carriers?

Hi,

devilwasp
Oh and another thing if its a chinese carrier then dont you think they would use a chinese company and not the newport company since they make US carriers?

This is a Morphed Picture .................and China Does not have Plans of making a Aircraft Carrier Soon .

Read my previous Post for their Aircraft Carrier Project .

India having two of her own carriers(aging ww2 refits mind you) and trying to build more,

Yes India has Two Aircraft Carriers Currently ( both British ) With the retirement of the INS Vikrant in January 1997( INS Vikrant is a Museum Now ), the Indian Navy had only one carrier............. and Deal has been Finalised for the Aqurising of Admiral Gorshkov a russian Aircraft Carrier...............and will be renamed INS Vijay .

Second Point No India is not Plannig on Building a Aircraft Carrier Of it's own ...............we are Currently Working on indigenously building TWO Air Defense Ships (ADS) 24,000 ton air defence ship(Smaller Verson of Aircraft Carriers)

Peace
-=SF_13=-

What are you trying to ask? Please clarify.

:) just to make sure that people are clear, the Photo is of the CVN-76 USS Ronald Reagan which was built at Newport News. The second photo is the genuine one, the first is a photo-shop with Chinese writing on the crane, in the stupid hope that somebody would actually mistake it for a Chinese carrier!

SwordFish_13 said:
Hi,
This is a Morphed Picture .................and China Does not have Plans of making a Aircraft Carrier Soon .
Yeah i was just kinda pointing out how wrong the pic was.....

Cabal said:
What are you trying to ask? Please clarify.
As i said before i was pointing out how the picture was kinda dodgy since it had many things "wrong" with it but i didnt know there was a first picture which was changed....sorry i totaly misread the thing, just ignore me the now ok?

Well Maybe one day they will get a carrier.

They are planning on having one. They were suposed to have one already going inti servise this year, but they werent even able to build it (yet).

Neighboring Countries would surely be keenly aware if China has a Carrier fleet sailing around the South China Sea. Especially with the U.S. Naval Base stationed in Okinawa.

well, If global securiy said 094 wil be in service in 2010, they got that wrong and tehy may be wrong again,

dont underestimate chinese, they like to pretend they are weak and then suprise u suddenly

dont underestimate chinese, they like to pretend they are weak and then suprise u suddenly

I first had the idea that they are strong. I didn't know how strong after some research i did. I am really impresed about there strenght. Even scared a litle. It is really like they are preparing for a war against the US. Whatelse do you need such a big and strong army for that is still growing and improving?

Back