China will cut the line Yokosuka-Taiwan

sandy

TOKYO, Japan (Reuters) -- China has told Japan it will revise its ban on ships entering an area of the East China Sea that straddles a disputed maritime border with Japan, Japan's Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday.
China told Japan it made "technical errors" in imposing the maritime traffic ban and would revise it so that it did not go beyond the disputed median line separating the two countries' 200 nautical mile exclusive economic zones, the Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
The move follows a Japanese request for Beijing to clarify whether it had banned ships from entering the area and started work on expanding a gas field in disputed waters.
Citing an unidentified Web site of the Chinese maritime authorities, Japanese media reports said China had issued a notice banning ships from the area while it laid pipelines and cables on the ocean floor as part of an expansion of the Pinghu gas field.
Japan said China's move could infringe on Japan's sovereignty and the United Nations convention on the Law of the Sea.
Japan and China are involved in a stand-off over developing gas fields in the disputed area, one of a range of issues, including Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi's visits to a Tokyo war shrine that China sees as a symbol of Tokyo's past militarism, that have hurt bilateral ties.
The two sides disagree over the position of the border between their exclusive economic zones in the East China Sea, and Japan fears that energy-hungry China's exploitation of the area could tap into resources in its own zone.
Despite Japanese requests to halt development, China has continued work on its gas fields adjacent to waters over which Tokyo claims exclusive economic rights.
In response, Japan has granted test-drilling rights to Teikoku Oil Co., bought last year by rival INPEX Corp., although drilling has not started.
Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Aso said last month that Tokyo might take counter-measures if China went ahead with full-fledged production at gas fields in the disputed areas.
If china cuts this line,US NAVY can,t go and help Taiwan
The aggression is already begun

CNN
Japantimes
Chinapost

Last edited:
Its just like the chinese want a fight. Out of curosity whos water are these gas feilds in. Japans or Chinas.

Rabs said:
Its just like the chinese want a fight. Out of curosity whos water are these gas feilds in. Japans or Chinas.

. . . . China told Japan it made "technical errors" in imposing the maritime traffic ban and would revise it so that it did not go beyond the disputed median line separating the two countries' 200 nautical mile exclusive economic zones, . . .

Kind of hard to say without a map at hand. I would say it is no man's land at the moment.

Both countries have a fair claim to this section of the ocean. It lies dead centre between them.

This is just a full scale Asian pissing match and I would bet on China winning. They have made the first move. And more to the point in the relationship between the two, Japan needs China more as a market for its goods than China needs Japans investment in China's economy.

Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Aso said last month that Tokyo might take counter-measures if China went ahead with full-fledged production at gas fields in the disputed areas.

I wonder what this means......perhaps regaining their military? Or economic sactions?

Anyone else want to argue that China is on a course of "peaceful development and growth?" Today your gas fields, tomorrow your economic resources, next week your land.... The chess pieces are on the move....

China is the future mate, there are issues like this that crop up all over the world, its not a sign of evil super scary chinese aggression. China is a powerful country asserting itself, just like any other powerful country does. Its aye been.

If China is the future then it is time to start stockpiling weapons of self-defense. If you mean China is a rising economic power that needs to be realised, ok. But if you are saying anything more than that... from living here I can tell you this is not the future, at least not for my son.

I should have been more specific i guess, China is definitely a rising economic power and its importance as a country is gonna increase even more. This way its gonna have more influence on the world possibly rivaling the US, maybe even surpassing it in the far, far future. Businesses will want to invest even more in China, so countries will want to be on a more friendlier footing to get that business. In the future China will be an extremely important country that will have a lot of clout on the world stage. I do hope by this point though, that China will have improved its human rights record, closed the income gap between its urban and countryside citizens and become a more open country. This is just a physicists point of view though, i'm no economist or anthropologist etc

jequirity said:
I should have been more specific i guess, China is definitely a rising economic power and its importance as a country is gonna increase even more. This way its gonna have more influence on the world possibly rivaling the US, maybe even surpassing it in the far, far future. Businesses will want to invest even more in China, so countries will want to be on a more friendlier footing to get that business. In the future China will be an extremely important country that will have a lot of clout on the world stage. I do hope by this point though, that China will have improved its human rights record, closed the income gap between its urban and countryside citizens and become a more open country. This is just a physicists point of view though, i'm no economist or anthropologist etc

Does that include bullying its neighbors and taking over lands that do not belong to them. If the islands lay in between China and another nation, shouldn't they try to resolve it diplomatically (since they are all for diplomacy in the Iranian nuclear issue even though it is far worse than mere islet disputes), or at least compromise?

Bullying ones neighbours is common througout the countries of the world, whether it be economic, military or diplomatic bullying. Its hard to tell exactly who owns what, the islands are disputed. Countries will try all the little dirty tactics to increase their leverage in the diplomacy game if they can get away with it. This confrontation will be solved by diplomacy where there will be compromises though, it is in neither countries interest to resolve it purely by force. China is quite right to go for the diplomacy option in the iran case, it is in the best interests for China to remain on friendly terms with iran, as it obtains much oil from the country. Serving ones best interests is another common theme throughout countries of the World.

Back