China wants american military technology

sandy

China's efforts to use spying to gain U.S. military technology will get a close look during the trial of a Chinese-born defense contractor set to begin today near Los Angeles.
Chi Mak, an electrical engineer who worked on some of the U.S. Navy's most sensitive high-tech weapons, goes on trial in a federal court in Santa Ana, Calif., on charges of conspiracy to export U.S. defense secrets to China, possession of property in aid of a foreign government and failure to register as a foreign agent.
Federal law-enforcement and counterintelligence officials said the case against Mr. Mak and four others is one of the most significant Chinese intelligence-gathering cases in recent years after a string of failed China-spying cases. The FBI has come under fire for mishandling the 1999 case of Los Alamos nuclear scientist Wen Ho Lee, and the 2003 case of Los Angeles businesswoman Katrina Leung, who officials say spied for China while posing as an FBI informant.
Prosecutors plan to show that Mr. Mak and his brother Tai Mak were part of a ring that passed sensitive Navy technology to China through a military-funded research institute in Guangzhou.
Officials said that in 2001, Chi Mak gave his brother key details of the Navy's SPY-1 phased array radar, the heart of the Aegis battle management system used on almost all Navy warships. Tai Mak, a Phoenix Television engineer, was described by officials as a courier who passed the technology to China.
Chi Mak also was involved in developing the Navy's Quiet Electric Drive, a stealth-related technology for the next generation of warships. The Maks were arrested in October 2005 as, officials say, they sought to pass the drive technology to China. Chi Mak also is thought to have compromised the Navy's newest attack submarine, the Virginia class, by providing China with details of its onboard electrical system, which would make it easier for China to track the submarine.
Investigators say Chi Mak told them after his arrest that he supplied information to Pu Pei-liang, a researcher at the military-funded Chinese Center for Asia Pacific Studies (CAPS) at Zhongshan University.
Dave Szady, the FBI's chief counterspy until last year, said recently that the data in Mak case was mainly proprietary corporate trade secrets or export-controlled data and that the case "probably murdered the Navy" because of the loss of military technology. Chi Mak could wander the submarine manufacturer Electric Boat "as if he was one of their own," Mr. Szady said.
Both Maks were born in Guangzhou. Chi Mak was naturalized a U.S. citizen in 1985. Tai Mak still holds a Hong Kong passport, though he emigrated from there in 2001. FBI and Navy investigators concluded that Mr. Pu was the handler for a technology theft ring that included Chi Mak, Tai Mak, their wives and Tai Mak's son. The family members will be tried separately.
Key evidence for prosecutors is two task lists thought to be from Mr. Pu that were discovered during a search of Chi Mak's trash on Feb. 7, 2005. The shredded documents in Chinese revealed that Beijing directed Chi Mak to gather military technology, including a new electromagnetic launcher to be used on a future U.S. aircraft carrier. Documents related to the list were found in Chi Mak's home.
The case has been difficult for prosecutors, who were forced to back off spy charges after home searches uncovered mostly sensitive but unclassified weapons information that, although restricted for export, was not classified as secret or top-secret in order to make it easier for contractors to work on the weapons systems.
Chi Mak has pleaded not guilty. His attorney Ronald Kaye is expected to focus on the case involving no classified documents. He told the Associated Press that the government has exaggerated the evidence. U.S. officials said defense attorneys unsuccessfully tried to interview Mr. Pu and other Chinese officials.
Richard Fisher of the International Assessment and Strategy Center said the case shows how China targets U.S. military technology.
"This case is a perfect illustration of China's racist policy of recruiting Chinese-Americans to undermine the security of all other Americans," Mr. Fisher said.
This is not surprising
Cold war era,Soviet often shipped many spies to all world.
You can find many articles about chinese spies in Russia,Germany,France,UK・・・of course USA.

Yeah they did. But it's like the bears in the wild. Once you feed them they keep coming back for more.

Soviet Union...err Russia just annouced that their intel is back on the same level of man power and funding as it was during the height of the cold war.

This is not surprising
Yeah, this is not surprising simply because this topic have been discussed before. And please note that most nations WANT US military technology. Even your country Japan have access to American Technology; Missile Defense Systems, Aegis Combat Systems, F-15J/DJ, and even the F-2 Support Fighter requires American Subcontractors and technical assistance.

China uses espionage simply because there are restrictions on sensitive tech transfers relating to the case with Tiananmen Square. The incident also produced the EU Arms Embargo. So therefore China will refer to different Channels: Russia, Israel, Ukraine, purchasing from other end-users, and Espionage.

And not all the classified details are sent to China alone. Russia and other nations are involved. This article have been posted previously on the forum.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20070102-111005-9819r.htm

Last edited:
Soviet Union...err Russia just annouced that their intel is back on the same level of man power and funding as it was during the height of the cold war.
The Kremlin always has been known for exagerating (sp?) real figures, despite how it would be smarter to lay low, though THIS problably is true.

Finally, the FBI are doing something concrete against those dirty spies. I hope those guys don't get away with probation or something like that. I want some long hard time in America's prisons. They can spy all they want in Pelican Bay or Corcoran. ;)

China, Russia, Iran, and Cuba are all top on the list of US spying...

Notice a pattern?

And the US is spying on them and probably everyone else as well.

Why exactly is this an issue to anyone the worlds nations spy on each other as much as is possible hell companies spy on each other its part of the process and has been throughout recorded history (and probably beyond).

i need american military technology to kill the pest in my garden.so i called president clilton to provide me some papers,indeed, immeditelly he give me someting.spy all over the world,on land,under marrine,even in the space cause usa satelites are petroling in its orbit.in the year of 2006,people say that uk spy on russia.spy on any one which is not myself.because i need you .

And the US is spying on them and probably everyone else as well.

Why exactly is this an issue to anyone the worlds nations spy on each other as much as is possible hell companies spy on each other its part of the process and has been throughout recorded history (and probably beyond).

Yeah to bad ethics has completely been thrown out the window....It's a very sad actually....

There is a difference though when a country takes without permission (I believe that is stealing) then when a brokered deal is in place...

Yeah to bad ethics has completely been thrown out the window....It's a very sad actually....

There is a difference though when a country takes without permission (I believe that is stealing) then when a brokered deal is in place...

Historically, it really doesn't matter how the technology is acquired, just who has it and how it is used.

Historically, it really doesn't matter how the technology is acquired, just who has it and how it is used.

Are you referring to how the Allies stole Nazi technology after there defeat...

Americans just need to stop sharing...haha I kid ;)

Historically things had more honor and pride with them...

Back