China Threat Survey

Tuan

Irreplaceable Intelligencer
A Paris, France based Think Tank, FIRM is currently conducting a survey on the China Threat.

Here is the link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/China_Threat

This anonymous survey is part of a project Professor Leslie Shaw is working on with Spectre Global Risk in Washington DC to run a conference on the China Threat on Capitol Hill when life gets back to normal.

The conference will have two panels, one on the economic threat and one on the military threat.

It would be greatly appreciated if the members of this forum could take a couple of minutes to answer the questions and share the survey with your contacts.

Thanks in advance!

A Paris, France based Think Tank, FIRM is currently conducting a survey on the China Threat.

Here is the link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/China_Threat

This anonymous survey is part of a project Professor Leslie Shaw is working on with Spectre Global Risk in Washington DC to run a conference on the China Threat on Capitol Hill when life gets back to normal.

The conference will have two panels, one on the economic threat and one on the military threat.

It would be greatly appreciated if the members of this forum could take a couple of minutes to answer the questions and share the survey with your contacts.

Thanks in advance!

Well I had a go but I think it was a bit generic a survey to really get a sense of the moderate opinion, basically they are love it or hate it questions.

Well I had a go but I think it was a bit generic a survey to really get a sense of the moderate opinion, basically they are love it or hate it questions.

What is a moderate opinion concerning a potential threat, in this case China? One either agrees or disagrees that it represents a threat.

There is no need for qualifiers such as "moderately", "somewhat", "completely", "totally" or "no opinion." This survey invites people to take a stand.

What is a moderate opinion concerning a potential threat, in this case China? One either agrees or disagrees that it represents a threat.

There is no need for qualifiers such as "moderately", "somewhat", "completely", "totally" or "no opinion." This survey invites people to take a stand.

Not entirely true.
I don't consider China any more of a threat than for example the USA, Russia or Australia they are all threats, every country is looking after their own interests China is no different.

I can't hold China to a different standard than everyone else.

Last edited:
Monty, I respectfully disagree!

While the majority of the Western nations' foreign policy is mostly leaning towards or is made up of a combination of soft and hard elements of power projections, which was coined by Joseph Nye as "smart power" mobilization, the communist and authoritarian Chinese regime and its policymakers, on the other hand, seems to wield "sharp power" and view the world through the lens of the anarchic realm because China is apparently accused of systematic counterfeiting, theft of intellectual property rights, and systematic misappropriation of technology - damaging the US to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars every year. Not to mention China`s devious debt trap policies in countries like Pakistan and Sri Lanka for instance.

Last edited:
I would say countries foreign policies are more diverse than a mix of soft and hard policies. They tend to be very ad hoc, and avoiding power projection when they can't back it up economically or militarily.

All countries operate in the international anarchy and they all have different approaches to handle and in the long run to survive in this anarchy. I guess this is more about the US foreign policies toward China than other Western countries foreign policies toward China.

My latest edifying piece on China's “wolf warrior diplomacy”.

China's “wolf warrior diplomacy” might face setbacks and perhaps even backfire if it is more aggressive. In that case, it runs the risk of becoming like American foreign policy from the past 20 years: brawny but ineffective, argues Kagusthan Ariaratnam.

A New Era for China’s “Wolf Warrior Diplomacy”
https://thegeopolitics.com/a-new-era-for-chinas-wolf-warrior-diplomacy/

Back