China Taiwan;What a beautiful relationship,huh?

sandy

"Taiwan is our territory," said Tan Naida, a delegate to the National People's Congress in Beijing. "Just look at history. Why can't we take Taiwan back?"
"Taiwan wants independ-ence," President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) said. "Taiwan wants to change its name, Taiwan wants a new constitution, Taiwan wants development."
That aspect of the running dispute between China and Taiwan is clear enough. Much of the rivalry, however, is riddled with contradiction. The consequence is an uneasy -- and perhaps dangerous -- stalemate about which the US George W. Bush administration has done little but wring its hands.
Perhaps the most evident contradiction is the difference between what Beijing says and what it does.
The party line includes frequent appeals to "compatriots" in Taiwan to reunite with the mainland. It's a Chinese Communist Party version of: "Come back, Taiwan, all is forgiven."
Yet many Chinese actions alienate Taiwanese. Some is petty harassment. When Chen flew to Nicaragua in January to attend the inauguration of President Daniel Ortega, China pressed Mexico not to allow his airplane to fly through Mexican airspace on the return trip, forcing the plane to swing out over the Pacific and adding several hours to the flight time.
Chinese officials seem to go out of their way to humiliate Taiwan. In international sports events, the team from Taiwan is forced to compete under the clumsy name of "Chinese Taipei." The same is often true in international economic forums.
During a seminar in Honolulu some months ago, the head of a Chinese delegation walked out in a huff when he discovered that staff members of Taiwan's quasi-official consulate were in the audience.
Elsewhere, a senior Chinese official, approached by a TV reporter from Taiwan, sneered on camera: "Who cares about you?" That was televised all over Taiwan.
China's campaign to isolate Taiwan diplomatically is well documented. For years, Beijing has blocked Taiwan's application to join the UN and affiliated agencies such as the WHO.
That effort is often extended to non-governmental organizations.
Equally well documented is China's military modernization aimed primarily at Taiwan, including an estimated 1,000 missiles aimed across the Strait.
Chinese leaders last week announced an 18 percent increase in military spending, to US$45 billion. Many Western estimates place China's real military spending at twice that.
China's hostility clearly affects the attitudes of Taiwanese as seen in polls taken three times a year, the latest in December. About 85 percent opted for maintaining the status quo, meaning moving toward neither independence nor unification with China. Taiwanese seem to take at face value the Chinese threat to launch an attack if Taiwan seeks formal independence.
Among the contradictions on Taiwan's side were those in the "Four Wants" proclaimed by Chen last week.
Chen said earlier that Taiwan would not seek formal independence. He has said that Taiwan would not change its formal name of Republic of China to Republic of Taiwan. He has said he would not seek a new constitution that would, in effect, be a declaration of formal independence. Only the desire for more economic development did not contradict earlier statements.
Buttressing Chen's "Four Wants" have been new versions of history textbooks used in high schools that emphasize Taiwan's separate identity and renaming state-owned enterprises to substitute the word "Taiwan" for "China." Corporate executives say this is not easy as all sorts of legal and regulatory changes must be made.
Where the history of Taiwan was included in China's history before, the new series of four textbooks has a volume on Taiwan's history, another on China's history and two on world history. Among the company name changes, the China Post Co has become the Taiwan Post Co and the Chinese Petroleum Corp has become CPC Taiwan.
The Bush administration, preoccupied with Iraq and other pressing issues, has tried to persuade Taiwan and China not to make unilateral changes that would upset the status quo and what the White House and State Department see as stability across the Taiwan Strait.
A State Department spokesman said Chen's "Four Wants" were "not helpful" about the same time the department issued a Congressionally mandated report on human rights in which China was accused of allowing human rights to deteriorate.
The open question is how long Taiwan or China will refrain from drastic measures to resolve the dispute.

By right,chinese should remove all missiles to taiwan and then speak peacefully・・・
They think themself right and taiwan should follow order of china・・・
Called "Re-unitify" seems long long long away from there・・・・・・
That is difficult for taiwanese to be ruled under chinese・・
They abuse Lee Teng-hui as pupet of Yankee imperialists.
and often say”At the time of the outbreak of the war,taipei would be sea of fire”

Taiwan:What a beautiful country.
China;What a beautiful country,huh?

So,you want to negotiate ppl alike them.
For me, no thank you.

The most important lesson the Chinese learned during the Opium Wars and World War II was not to trust what diplomats say but to believe their eyes with what they saw another country's army was doing. They assimilated this lesson and it is the cornerstone of the foreign policy today.

DO NOT BELIEVE anything they say, only believe what you see China doing.

I'm worrying one thing that Anti-USA feeling in taiwan is rising thesedays.
Because,after WW2 USA helped Jianjiashy and funny looking chinese soldiers escaping to taiwan and killed over 30thousands civilians.
And,President Bush didn't allow exporting F-16C/D to taiwan・・・
If they couldn't buy F-16C/D,they have to continue using old F-5.
I know china is important business partner for USA but I warn this situation is no good.
I hope USA to restore relation with taiwan・・・impossible?

Last edited:
They've been upset with the US since Jimmy Carter recognised the PRC and "unrecognised" them. Dogs in Taiwan are routinely given "scarey" names to enhance the guarding abilities. I **** you not the top three names are HITLER... STALIN... and CARTER.

I'm worrying one thing that Anti-USA feeling in taiwan is rising thesedays.
Because,after WW2 USA helped Jianjiashy and funny looking chinese soldiers escaping to taiwan and killed over 30thousands civilians.
And,President Bush didn't allow exporting F-16C/D to taiwan・・・
If they couldn't buy F-16C/D,they have to continue using old F-5.
I know china is important business partner for USA but I warn this situation is no good.
I hope USA to restore relation with taiwan・・・impossible?

I think the US is not going ahead with several arms trade to Taiwan because they need China's help in dealing with North Korea; not because they are lucrative trade partners. What is China going to seriously do if the US sells weapons to Taiwan in terms of trade? Boycott them? Would a smart business shun its biggest buyer AND seller? Would the world's sweatshop turn away the world's biggest consumers? I think not. China would probably just pull a lot of diplomatic measures within the UN that would block American interests (as if they weren't doing that already).

Back